• UPDATED!!!! SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Twelve Weeks Post OP

I agree fully with @sistersinhim - stretching, focus on proper walking, and relaxing rather than forcing are the keys to slowly rehabbing this situation. There's no rush and no time limit on this improvement.

I had a strange sensation too, but I soon realized it was my incision/scar…the softest & lightest clothing gave it a STRANGE sensation when anything touched it…it’s gone now (I am almost 5 months out from Partial knee replacement)….

About your leg not being straight…do you do the exercise where you sit on a chair, rest your leg by the heel, I do my coffee table infront of my couch, and let gravity take its course? This was one of my exercises BEFORE surgery & I do it after…it can be painful, don’t do it more then 10 mins…it really helped me get those back muscles/tendons to stretch out ….‍..Good Luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have received great advice from our staff and members.

As you’ve now discovered, extension is the hardest thing to recover when you’ve had a bad knee for a long time. I wish I could tell you that there is a miracle cure out there, but the only miracle is patience, if you can embrace it. All those soft tissues don’t want to change and you must allow them to stretch back out at their own pace. Forcing and “working hard” isn’t helpful. But, what IS important is consistency with gradual challenges added as you are comfortable doing them. Be sure to concentrate on a good, long stride when you walk. Do the “hang” exercises daily that let gravity help straighten your leg in gradually longer times. Try not to get discouraged and don’t feel bad if it’s more comfortable to use a cane or walking aid at times. Better to do that than to get tired and walk incorrectly or not walk at all because of discomfort. Keep your eye on the goal and you’ll get there. But for this party, it’s your body that’s in charge….not you.

As for going back to work, you’ll need to find what will work best for you. Perhaps you could stay off a little longer. Or possibly work part days or have an accommodation at work for a while. It’s worth discussing with your employer. Offer reassurance that this situation, while it could last a while, is temporary.

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jan!
I hope you're doing well. Enjoy the day and rest of the week! :)
@JanD041

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jan!
I hope you're doing well. Enjoy the day and rest of the week! :)
@JanD041
Thank you Layla! I feel I am in another 'transitional' phase at the moment, doing a bit more walking and jobs around the house, still trying, albeit with a more relaxed attitude, to straighten out my knee, is bringing on aches and pains in other parts of my body like hips and back and my sides, which is inevitable I suppose after years of walking with a limp and cane! All these muscles are being used in a different way I suppose. Anyway, I continue to try and be hopeful and patient (patience is not my strong point). You guys helped so much last week when I got myself 'in a bit of a tizz' as we say in Britain!! Thanks again Jx

aches and pains in other parts of my body like hips and back and my sides, which is inevitable I suppose after years of walking with a limp and cane!
This is so true! All those muscles need time to adjust to your body's new alignment. (You can almost hear them saying "you want me to do what?" :heehee: )

It does continue to get better!

Meanwhile, please let us know if you would like a different title for your thread that better reflects your recovery.

Thank you for your support. Yes to a new title please. I have given up on the knee immobiliser idea. Trying to be more patient and gentle! Cheers! Jx

What would you like your new title to be, Jan?
@JanD041

Hi, sorry for the delay, I was asleep!!
I really don't mind. Just something like 'Twelve Weeks Post Op' if you think ok. Cheers Jx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads