TKR Is Meloxicam needed?

As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice pack you can ice 24 hours a day! I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or lying down for the first couple of months. This helped to keep the swelling and pain down. If you find that the ice is helping your pain level, keep it up as long as it's needed.

Hello Kyrea2, please know that you will have good and not so good days re. TKR surgery. My doctor initially had me taking Oxy and Tylenol together, then I weaned myself off Oxy (still have some left over) and switched to Tylenol alone. I was also prescribed the muscle relaxer methocarbamol. That muscle relaxer seems to take the edge off and helps my leg/ knee settle down for better sleeping. See what you doctor says about trying it.

Just arrived at week 4 and thanks for all your advice. Now my PT is taking my ROM each time and of course I MUST hit the 120 mark as everyone knows that “Magical”number Doctors and PT all want. I’m not there yet, but what week do most people hit that 120 mark? Everyone is different I understand, and he’s not putting pressure on me at all about it right now, but what week do most reach it?

I think it is very variable. I have really good ROM and was at 130 by 3- 4 weeks but lots of people here get improvements in ROM over many months.
I think function is more important than getting obsessed with ROM. I have read here of people who can do stairs normally ( something I am only beginning to do at 4 months) with much less ROM than I have.

You have a couple more days til 4 weeks, right?
Wednesday. Ok, A day and a half.
I hit 115 during my 4th week. Your doc's expectations are probably just to scare you into working harder. You're right about it being a magical number. Like a unicorn LOL

I've only been to PT 4x and I'm at 6 1/2 weeks....
7 on Wed. Until recently this knee was very swollen. PT only made it worse.
I see my doc next week. I don't really care if he isn't happy. I know my ROM is there and time, ADLs, walking and some exercises will get it there.
And EalingGran is right....everbody is so different. That's why I don't understand a one size fits all number.:shrug:

Happy One Month Anniversary, Kyrea2!
I hope you make your ROM goals without pushing, pressure or pain.
Have a great rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@Kyrea2

Ok, made it to week 7. Things getting better. But after I sit for any length of time, those first couple of minutes after getting up are painful! Stiffness, sore, like a car engine that doesn’t want to start on a cold morning. Then after 5 -10 minutes of movement, things loosen up and I can get a walk going. But when does that beginning start-up get any easier??

@Kyrea2 i can’t tell you exactly when it gets easier but one day, you’ll notice that it did. It was like that for me with both knees. “All of a sudden” was my motto with everything knee replacement: taking a shower, sleeping, walking longer…..

Marie

When it gets easier, u stop, look back and say,”wow, did u see what I did, and didn’t even notice doin it!” or “A month ago this would have been really difficult”.

When you break it down into little victories, the steps seem so much easier. Slow and steady wins the race:egypdance:

But when does that beginning start-up get any easier??
Slowly, but surely you'll get there. You have many months ahead of satisfying little surprises.
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely Spring 2023. :flwrysmile:
@Kyrea2

I’m am now 5 months out from TKR and the back of my calf’s skin is still darker or bruised like than my left. There is no pain when I touch the calf, just the darker color. Anyone else have this so many months past surgery? Does it go away eventually? Thanks for the advice.

My leg below my knee to my ankle was a slightly different color than my other leg. This did resolve but it took some time. I had a numb area on the outside of my heel that I just got the feeling back. As long as you have good circulation, and it isn't really dark I think you are still recovering from the surgery. You could always email your OS PA.

I don't have great peripheral circulation. There is a family history of Reynaud's. My operated leg is slightly more mottled/ purplish at times than the unoperated leg ( especially if the weather is cold). This is many months after surgery and yet it can also still be slightly warm to the touch.
My numb patch is less numb- I can feel sharp things like my nail but not soft touch as well as other side.
This surgery does strange things to the nerves and circulation. I think if you don't have redness/ new discolouration it is probably normal- but if you are not sure you could e- mail a photo to your surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom