THR Is Ice still recommended?

@Layla , ok yes, I’d say it’s more of a discomfort. A 4 is too high for what I feel. I have home health coming tomorrow morning so will check with them. I think my hip is tired of being cons sat or laid on! I know I’m tired of it. I do get up and walk. But before you know it’s time to ice and elevate. Also the back of my knee is achy from being held out straight all the time.

@Layla . Thought I posted a reply but don’t see it. So yes I’d say it’s more of a discomfort based on that scale and not a 4. HH is coming out tomorrow so will check with them about my sensations. I know one thing, I’m tired of laying on my hip or sitting on it! Even though I get up and walk, it wants a break! My knee is tired of being straight too! Ok time to ice and elevate!

I'm so sorry. These first several days are no fun. It's not always easy to get comfortable and when you do, it's often shortlived. All you can do is try your best to rest, nap, keep up with the icing and meds and see if you can find a few different ways to distract yourself.
Some suggestions - Crossword puzzles, adult coloring books, planning a vacation, Pinterest, Houzz, start a recipe collection, online games, I'm betting you'll have visitors, or phone calls from friends and loved ones which will also serve as a pleasant distraction to help pass time. Recovery can get boring pretty quickly. Check out the Social Room if you haven't already, you may find some threads that appeal you, or you can start one on a subject that interests you. https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/

I hope you have a relaxing evening. :console2:
@Harpcat

Hi @Harpcat :console2:These are kind of the early rough days for sure.
No position feels comfortable for very long and everything gets achy.
I’m tired of laying on my hip or sitting on it!
I remember..:sigh:
My knee is tired of being straight too!
I couldn't stand for my knee to be straight...I had to keep my leg slightly bent. Is there a reason you have it flat?
I put a little folded throw or flattish pillow under my knees.
Layla has it right...just have to try to find some distraction. All temporary, my friend.
Keep the faith.

Last edited:
I also figure that it has something to do with the anesthesia as well.
Did you have general anesthesia? I did with my first hip and it did wipe me out for quite a while--more tired than with a local and that tiredness can lead to the blues.

I also figure that it has something to do with the anesthesia as well.
Did you have general anesthesia? I did with my first hip and it did wipe me out for quite a while--more tired than with a local and that tiredness can lead to the blues.
Yes I did have a general anesthetic. So I know it will take a while to clear.

Hi @Harpcat :console2:These are kind of the early rough days for sure.
No position feels comfortable for very long and everything gets achy.
I’m tired of laying on my hip or sitting on it!
I temember..:sigh:
My knee is tired of being straight too!
I couldn't stand for my knee to be straight...I had to keep my leg slightly bent. Is there a reason you have it flat?
I put a little folded throw or flattish pillow under my knees.
Layla has it right...just have to try to find some distraction. All temporary, my friend.
Keep the faith.
@Mojo333 I do bend it slightly when I’m in the recliner but can’t sleep with it bent. I have to float my heel with a small pillow under it so my heel skin doesn’t hurt.

I understand...I actually used a swath of sheepskin under my heels to cut down friction and it worked surprisingly well. Alot of trial and error to find out to get some sleep.
I found that I resigned myself to back and forth, also getting up after a few hours to try and get a few more hours in my recliner.
Much sympathy here...hang in there.

Hello @Harpcat ...
I would say this is all pretty normal so early after post-op.
I slept in the recliner first 17 nights after the surgery and as someone said... it was all trial and error.
My body would get numb after few hours and that was another reason I could not sleep through the night. I had to get up and walk around the first floor to make that feeling go away... then back for another nap. It goes away after some time and your naps will be longer.
One thing I learn after the surgery is that all the nuisances we usually experience are just temporary.
You are doing well after only 6 day post-op.

:hi: Happy One Week Anniversary!
I hope you've been doing well the last couple days. I'm sure you'll notice
some progress if you look back over the past week.
Make today a good one! :)
@Harpcat

:hi: Happy One Week Anniversary!
I hope you've been doing well the last couple days. I'm sure you'll notice
some progress if you look back over the past week.
Make today a good one! :)
@Harpcat
Morning everyone! Yes, what a difference a week makes! First of all getting off the opioids made a huge difference in my mental and emotional well being. I found that by switching to Tylenol extra strength that the pain control was just as good and I didn’t feel so out of it. Plus things just feel better other than my knee seems to bother me more now. The PT that came yesterday said a lot of that can be because the change in my leg length and the body making adjustments. What is amazing that the back pain I used to have before surgery is gone! i wondered if the THR would impact it and am glad to say it has. The thing I dislike the most are wearing these TED hose,but if that’s all I have to complain about then I’m lucky. I finally had had it with how sore my hands are from this walker and ordered some cushion covers that will arrive today from Amazon. I would definitely add that to a must have. My folding grabber has been invaluable as I carry it with me in the basket attached to my walker.
the big news is I had my very first shower after the dressing was changed. incision looked good too. All in all I’m feeling much better and am ready to lose the walker one of these days! I do hate being home bound but thankful for online shopping.

Hi @Harpcat... congrats on getting off opioids. Me too I slowly reduced the dosage until I felt comfortable to switch to Tylenol only. I still have some in bottles and will keep them for after the second surgery.
You are still so early after the surgery and you are doing very well and you will see steady weekly improvements. Keep the good job! :)
I had issues too with the walker... my hands were hurting so much I was afraid I'll get calluses on them. I was wearing leather gloves when I went for "longer" walks outside the house.

Harp,

You are doing great!

On my first hip, 20 years ago, found narcotics sort of messed with my head, so this time (May 19), I took a couple of oxy in hospital, but none after returning home the next day.

i took 1000 mg of Tylenol every six hours, then started reducing that a bit at a time. This approach worked well for me.

Your great attitude is shining through!

:wave:Hello @Harpcat
Its good you're noticing positive change. Thanks for updating!
Getting off the heavy narcotics and finding relief through Extra Strength Tylenol alone is an encouraging step forward. I agree with PT's assessment on your knee bothering you as your gait changes and your body adjusts to the new prosthetic. I too, noticed the back issues I had pre-op disappeared after my surgery. Awesome relief! Those TEDS are awful, I don't know if I've ever read anyone mention they liked them. They're a nuisance, but serve a purpose for sure.

I hope you find relief in using the hand grips for your walker. I'm sure you'll graduate to the cane very soon.

Keep up the good work and have a wonderful Wednesday! :)

@Layla thanks for sharing that link. Some of those were hilarious! I too have found pills on the floor and got them with the grabber. How they got there I have no idea! This morning my cat was rolling on the floor hoping I’d rub his Belly! So I grabbed the grabber and rubbed away until he bit it! :heehee:

So glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Getting off some of the heavy meds can help, especially with unclogging our brains. I love the grabbers, we have multiples around the house, the hubby even has one out in his shed to get things out of the rafters. You're doing really well, continue to take it slow and easy.

You're welcome! :)

This morning my cat was rolling on the floor hoping I’d rub his Belly! So I grabbed the grabber and rubbed away until he bit it!

Think about sharing this on the thread. It's a cute story and may give some an idea they never thought of.
Enjoy the evening!

So glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Getting off some of the heavy meds can help, especially with unclogging our brains. I love the grabbers, we have multiples around the house, the hubby even has one out in his shed to get things out of the rafters. You're doing really well, continue to take it slow and easy.
It is hard not to want to do more! I feel like such a slug. But between icing, elevating, doing my PT exercises and reading the day is over just about. My husband has been so helpful and good to come when I need him. Wonder if anyone else has that feeling they feel bad always asking them for help and wanting to let them off the hook? Sometimes I just say to myself, "no, it’s good for him to have to nurture". :yes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom