Is anyone doing Martial Arts post TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGene

graduate
Country
United States United States
A buddy of mine has been supporting and assisting me through my TKR experience.

He has been in denial for years about his bon-on-bone knees and has evaded any discussion about TKR for himself. He is a Martial Arts instructor and fears losing the ability to continue.

Since he opened the door for the first time today on the way back from my follow up. I thought I would ask.

Are there any Smarties who have explored Martial Arts after TKR. I know we have all kinds of atheletes out there, but I don't recall any one with this particular passion.

There was someone - he doesn't come here any more though. Let me look

Thanks, I will share this with him. Right now he is living vicariousl through me. I try to keep him level though since I seem to be having a relatively comfortable rehab so far.

I hope you can convince him to at least talk with someone about knee replacements. I would think martial arts would be no more difficult after surgery than skiing.

That was the direction of the coversation. His Ortho is in the group with my sugeon so I was guiding him in the direction of just setting up an appt
ointment to discuss the option.

We will see. Like with all of us we have to follow our own paths to our decision.

My son's longtime martial arts instructor said I'd have no trouble taking up the sport if I chose to do so. Well, I never did even while healthy, so I never would have anyway.

That said, he also said that while training should be no problem, competitive stuff would be an issue. Like he would suggest against sparring for tournaments because the "possibilities" exist for worst case scenarios. If your friend is an instructor, odds are he doesn't get to compete all that often anyway. (at least, that was the case with our instructors- they were too busy being in charge of the tourney or even just herding their students around). Also, I say "our" because I went to every single class with him till he was old enough to drive. :wink1:

But also, a surgeon would be better be able to say "yay" or "nay" on any martial arts activities. Honestly, from a martial-arts mom, aside from the sparring, there's nothing overtly dangerous to do to the knee that wouldn't happen in everyday life either (did that make sense?).

ALSO... our favorite instructor had a partial (I didn't know it was called that back then) and he not only went back to instructing, he was back in less than a week, instructing on crutches.
:thumb:

Excellent post, Patty....thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks