Core Decompression In worse pain after core decompression

Britt88

Country
United States United States
I'm Not sure if this is the right area to post in, but I'm looking for feedback and opinions.

My husband had core decompression in his right hip about 8 weeks ago, he seems to have less motion and movement in both legs and hips now than he did prior to the procedure. He's been in PT for 5 weeks trying to build his leg muscle back up, but he's still not able to walk correctly without being in pain, he's having knee pain (assuming from walking wrong for a year now, limping) and his groin pain has come back within the past week. I'm assuming maybe the CD didn't work and he needs THR? The OS says the xrays don't show worsening, but it's not any better. Help? Suggestions and opinions please.

Hi, Britt88....you started your post in just the right area....good job! I've added a title prefix for you as well so that others can identify the subject of your recovery thread.

Core decompressions are notoriously painful to recover from for most people.....actually worse that a hip replacement. From what you describe, it sounds like your husband has really been overdoing things in terms of activity and exercise. Now is not the time to work on strength. He needs to heal first! So see if you can get him to slow it down for a few weeks. He should be icing the areas that hurt and taking something to help with the pain. It can be something as simple as 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours (be sure to count acetaminophen in any other medications he might be taking as he shouldn't take more than 4,000mg in any 24 hour period). Or he can use a prescription pain medication if his pain is not helped with Tylenol.

You may want to read recovery threads here on the forum that deal with core decompression. To get a list of them, go to the index page for the hip recovery forum (click on the link at the top of the page). Find a thread that has the "Core Decompression" prefix and click on that prefix. It will bring you a list of all the threads with that topic.

Here are some basic recovery articles for you regarding hip procedures. They may mention THRs but really the recovery issues are the same for core decompression as well. Please take a look at them and let us know if you have any questions. We're here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I agree with Jamie - too much pushing that recovering hip. Read the articles about icing and elevating and give it a try. Icing does decrease the pain. And I would lay off the PT for now. All it is doing to causing more trauma to the area. There will be plenty of time to exercise once that hip is healed.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member