THR A few changes from THR #1<^

Humor and laughter is the best medicine. You will be doing so much soon. Hang in there and listen to your body, it knows best.

No seats, @Layla - they stood and leaned on the rails. And this was all before anything was known about bacteria and sterility. For most patients, IF they survived the surgery without anaesthetic, they died of infection!

I know I'm entering this conversation very late, but thought of something to the point--decades ago I read in an old Scientific American magazine that Florence Nightingale was the first to use graphic illustrations such as pie charts to drive a statistical point home--in her case, the home truth that more men were dying of infection during hospital stays than from their battle wounds. I also read that she was so enraptured with statistics that she wrote poems on the subject.
Now there's a woman after my own heart.

Hi Duncan.
Just checking in to see how much fun you are having?:whistle:
Hope all is progressing and your weekend is restful!
It will keep getting better and Better!
In the meantime...:ice:

I'm 2 months and a few days out from my July 23rd THR and will provide my final assessment and observations.

My rehab and recovery on my 2nd hip is basically consistent with my first replacement in 2014 BUT different. Same appliance, same procedure, same doc, hospital, lucky slippers but I'm probably 2 weeks behind the first. Why? No reason at all - and that's the lesson! Each hip has a mind of it's own and the sooner that's accepted that the better. It's nice to have milestones, but the hip wants what the hip wants.

I'm finishing PT next week then it's the slow heal process over the next 6-12 months. I was on crutches longer this time, I had more discomfort (not really pain) this go-round for longer, I've been tireder longer. I took a full 8 weeks of STD and just started back last week. 1st hip was 4 weeks off and 1 week of PT.

I had the BEST nap of my LIFE on that first day back last Thursday as it was the first time I had done anything in such a long time. It was great to be dog tired after working and not just be ready to go to bed while I was home in recovery. My body, and YOUR body, and YOUR body (looking at you over there) are healing and need lots of R&R to get there. Listen INTENTLY to what it's telling you! Unless it's saying to eat a quart of ice cream at 2am but even then give in a little!

My PT has us focusing on the normal stuff - range of motion, breaking up scar tissue but the big thing is to re-learn proper walking mechanics and letting/getting the big muscles that are supposed to do the heavy work to step up and DO the heavy work! Walking is a great exercise to get things moving. I'm also riding a stationary bike but would feel comfortable on my real bikes as well at this time.

My failure - because I only learn from failures (you'd think I'd be brilliant by now...) is I was feeling quite punky through the later weeks of recovery. I had trouble finishing a few PT sessions, I had no appetite, a little lethargic - all things that would look like a missing mental component. Admittedly there were a few times when I got discouraged (like WHO ate my ice cream at 2am - oh yeah that was me), but the key for me was to start moving MORE (walking, light stretches) but way more importantly, HYDRATE. Somewhere along the line I lost the taste for water and my overall nutrition needs suffered. None of this if breaking news but there are so many components to healing post-surgery and while we may not ring all the bells along the way, there's a good chance that anyone having difficulties in their recoveries may have neglected some of the softer sides of the healing process.

My first replacement was a piece of cake. In 2 weeks or so this replacement will also be categorized as a piece of cake but understanding some of the hurdles I created for myself along the way...

HAPPY HIPPY TRAILS TO ALL! I wish nothing but great long-term health to all. This has been a tremendous forum for me through the years - hoping others can get as much support as I have along the way.

My body, and YOUR body, and YOUR body (looking at you over there) are healing and need lots of R&R to get there. Listen INTENTLY to what it's telling you!

Simple words, wise advice for all to take to heart.

Thanks for sharing your update. I enjoyed it. You're doing really well. May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
@DuncanWA

:egypdance: in a few more months...you will be Golden!
Keep it slow AND all will go quicker, right?
Isn't sleep just the best!?:sleeep:
Onward...:yes!:

I just saw a movie where they said - slow is smooth and smooth is fast. The slower I walk (with perfect form), the smoother my form is. And wouldn't ya know, the smoother I walk, the faster I get.

It's as if lots and lots of people came before me and learned all these lessons the hard way!

It's as if lots and lots of people came before me and learned all these lessons the hard way!

Sometimes the only way we can find out where the lines are, is to cross them...but listening to our bodies and finding out when to wait instead of forcing them to preform before it is ready...really does speed up the process!
Sure happy to hear you are doing well!

Onward:walking:

What a lovely recovery. Please do post back on one months time when you are 3 months out as would love to know how you are getting on. Not “comparing recovery’s” of course :)

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. We'd love to get an update next time you stop by.
Let us know how you're doing at three months post op.
All the best as you continue healing!
@DuncanWA

I did TRHR 1 year ago (had TLHR 5 years ago) and surgery was routine, easy and I mended well. I'm 55, reasonably active, and reasonably in shape. MAYBE 6 months post-op I'd have brief episodes where I couldn't stand on my right leg - would be a sharp pain in the groin area and my leg would give out - I called it "nerve waking up" - but it would pass after mere minutes. However 2 days ago I started having another episode and it hasn't stopped. I can't walk without sharp localized pains in the groin that almost drop me to the floor.

ZERO pain sleeping, or sitting, or stretching - ONLY when I put direct weight on it but the pain is immediate, sharp and causes my leg to collapse.

Heading to doctor soon, but curious if others have had something similar? I HOPE it's a PT thing and some adhesion or scar tissue, but obviously my DEEP fear is infection or some failure of the appliance. I have read a few things on psoas tendonitis or something similar?

Thanks for ideas!

:wave:
Sorry to see you back to the forum in such pain
@Josephine, our Nurse Director, may have some thoughts.

@DuncanWA,
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three. How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

I'm sorry to read this @DuncanWA
Hopefully it's not what you're fearing. Wishing you comfort as you seek answers and resolution.
I look forward to Jo's response.

Show me where the pain is, using my chart

A few changes from THR #1<^

Front - R3F / R2F W.

Back - nada...

Okay - next step: I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

You've seen my previous posts - I'm REALLY open to sharing!

I have a doc appt Friday to discuss as well but I like being as educated as possible...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads