TKR I am finally on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow fifty. That was fast. I remember your first post. Seems like yesterday. And the uproar you created. Lol. Your on the other side. Congratulations. Hey ! Dont let anyone hurt you. Your OS did enough trauma to your knee. Dont let some gorilla traumatize your knee even more. Pain management is crucial at this point and PROPER ELAVATION and icing. Theres one article in the mantras that shows the correct way to elevate. Although whatever works is the right way. Keep posting we r intersted in most recent recoveries. Hey your cardinals battled tremendously. Ima little worried the way the niners have played 60 minutes per game lately. Its very concerning. However the west is great this year. And will be even better next season. Keep up the great work.

Well its exactly two wecek since leaving hospital. I am doing well no cane, no crutch, no walker. I was able to get a new PT and and rom went from 60 to 88 in two days. I am able to walk 1000 steps with out sitting down. My staples are out and I see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully all will continue to get better with each day. Hope all my December knee replacements are doing as well. Oh one last thing I had my meds adjusted so that I have more meds when I need them. that advise came from one on the members of this very very helpful and supportive board. bill

I think the PT forcing your knee is having the opposite effect. :(
Thanks for you input. I have no doubt that is what is going on that is why I changed PTs. the first person is not very happy with but due to his inexperience and lack of knowledge as to the right direction he is out and and his boss is now going to finish my Pt for the eight weeks. If it were not for input like yours I might not have said very much assuming that pain goes with the terr

All of you December TKRs comments sound very familiar as I'm 3 weeks ahead of you and experienced similar things. Finding Bonesmart has been great to help me find my way through recovery. I learned that I must take all my prescribed meds to keep me comfortable ( not pain free),ice is my best friend now, elevating means resting and that's necessary for several weeks. At 5 weeks I started sleeping better at night, but I make sure I'm fully medicated. Some days are better than others and it's easy to get depressed, but now at 6 weeks out I'm feeling more energy, less pain and the swelling is going down. I thank this forum for telling us to make sure we manage our pain, I was trying to take the minimum, that just doesn't work for me, my body needs more and keeping the pain down helps with the mood which in turn helps healing. It takes a lot of time, we will all be better soon.

Good for you switching PTs...your former PT may be unhappy with you, but maybe his boss will teach him the correct way of treating a knee replacement patient, which will be good for future patients.

Happy healing!!

Hi @fiftydollarbill...

It sounds like things are looking up and going well for you. I'm VERY glad to hear that! Depending upon how things go with your new PT, you may want to consider dropping the outside PT altogether. I know that probably makes me sound like a traitor, but I was able to successfully rehab on my own for my first knee. My OS wrote a script for PT but gave me the option of going or not going. He was pleased with my progress and gave me a couple of interesting factoids: 1) People who are determined and motivated can rehab themselves; and 2) studies have shown NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in progress at the six-month mark between those who had gone to physical therapy and those who had managed it on their own!

That being said, some people actually enjoy the social aspects of PT, but I am not one of them. I focus on getting my exercises done each day and am able to note the progress that I make. So, I'm thinking that I'll forego outside PT for this second knee also. I currently have one big goal for 2014: To successfully complete a 5k race, but I will walk it rather than run it. It's been a few years (May 2011) since my last race, so I'm looking forward to the challenge. Keep up the great work and keep in touch!!

I'm a Dec 10 RTKR --I'm relearning how to walk also -- managed a 10 minute walk around the block today with hubby and kept thinking heel-toe--heel toe. The longer stride sure helps also. It's good to get out into the sunshine even if it is nippy.
My PT pain came from the quad area above the knee --horrible 10+ stuff--but I persevered in stretching it and one day --no pain :yay: I'm pretty much at a 1 most of the time and the occasional 4 when I'm asleep.

Ok my friends I need some advise: today I am 21 day out of surgery. I have had 8 treatments at PT. My Rom on initial evaluation on the 23 of dec was 58. Today it was 90. I am walking with no cane, or walker, or any device at all, I have had my Pt changed once because I thought the constant threats of Manipulation Under Anesthesia were uncalled for. the thought of going back under Anesthesia make me very paranoid. My question is I think I am making pretty good progress but the PT says my threshold for pain is below average and unless I can put up with greater levels of pain I will not continue to progress. On my non PT days I exercise twice once in the am and once in the afternoon. My over all attitude is very very good and I have every intention of continuing to progress all I can. I have read previous suggestions and would like to know the best way to progress. I have in recent former incarnation weighed as much as 425 lbs and for the last 18 months have been down to 206 lbs for that reason my muscles in my legs Quads etc were massive to support the great amount of weight that I was. So when they try and move legs to gain ROM the massive quads involuntarily stop this movement. this is at least what my Therapist is telling me. Is he way off base or do I have to find another solution.

I do not wish to do MUA and frankly think that 21 days after surgery with a 90 ROM is a bit quick to be jumping the gun. I did mention this to my OS last Thursday and his idea was that maybe I might need MUA. I know they will give me at least four more sessions of PT so nothing is imminent, but I would like to have a plan B incase I head in that direction. OK I am done rambling and hope I can get some input that will help me with my decision. Thanks Bill

We had our surgery on the same day. My Rom was just past 90 at my appt on Monday 12/30. My OS was very pleased and said that I would continue to make progress. I think it's a little early to threaten with MUA.

Hi Bill,
You are less than a month out from TKR, and at 90 degrees you are doing great. No need for MUA this early, slow and steady increases ROM. Some have increased ROM over many months, there is no rush.
Tell them NO! There is an article in the library on MUA, be sure to read it.

I think you are right I just feel beat up at times. the support of this group is fantastic as usual. Just to know what you are doing is great thanks. bill

I agree. I didn't think they even thought about MUA when you're at 90--especially this early. I'm glad you switched PTs but I don't know that this new one is a particular prize either. I'd say keep doing what you're doing and you will continue to improve. what's your pain med situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday about 48 hrs ago I went off all hard pain med to see the effect on pain. In that 48 hrs I have had relatively little pain at all somewhere between a 1 and 3, but my leg seems stiffer and not as mobile. also I am suffering going through very mild withdrawl from narcotic syndrome so that is not making me feel very perky at all. I have Pt tomorrow and will see how that goes. about 8 days ago the dr tripled my pain med but really did not make much difference. At night I have have little pain in day when not walking have maybe 1 or 2 when sitting when walking around max of a 3. when I really stretch the knee of course it goes way way up but it did when taking the meds also.

As I've learned from Josephine, that stiffness is a form of pain. Personally it seems like you are too early to go off all pain meds, but you could experiment with spreading out the dose. For example, instead of 4 hours between doses, try 5 and see how you feel. If that's still good, try 6. If that doesn't work, go back to 5 for a while. Keeping the meds flowing at consistent times really helps.

That's really the best way to go off the narcotics, imho. If you truly want to be off all narcotic pain meds now for some reason, you probably need at least 1,000 mg of tylenol 3 times a day. (you should have no more than 4,000 max)
@Josephine

but the PT says my threshold for pain is below average and unless I can put up with greater levels of pain I will not continue to progress.
Absolute nonsense! In fact, it's quite the opposite.
So when they try and move legs to gain ROM the massive quads involuntarily stop this movement. this is at least what my Therapist is telling me. Is he way off base or do I have to find another solution.
Bill, did you ever read all those articles I left for you in post #8 of this thread? In there is one about the 'swollen leg' and it will explain why the flexion stops when they push on it. It's simple hydraulics, that's all.
Yesterday about 48 hrs ago I went off all hard pain med to see the effect on pain. In that 48 hrs I have had relatively little pain at all somewhere between a 1 and 3, but my leg seems stiffer and not as mobile.
'relatively little pain'? Then you say you have stiffness. But stiffness is also pain, as is soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching and swelling. Don't underestimate those as manifestations of pain. They need medications just as much as any other.
also I am suffering going through very mild withdrawl from narcotic syndrome so that is not making me feel very perky at all.
No you don't - what you are experiencing is simply undermedicated pain!
about 8 days ago the dr tripled my pain med but really did not make much difference.
What did he triple it to? What drug and what dose? and more, did you actually take it?! :wink:

the pain associated with ROM is totally off the chart. He pushes and pushes me and I am howling in pain.
I also don't like the sound of this. He shouldn't hurt you like that. Apart from it being unnecessary, it's also abuse or assault. I presume you asked him not to hurt you like that? If so, that was a withdrawal of your consent to his treatment after which it was unlawful for him to continue. No doctor or therapist can lay hands on you without your consent and if they do so regardless, that's assault. You also have the right to say no, so exercise it and stop him hurting you. You did read those articles, didn't you? In there is one about the swollen leg and another about the 'no pain, no gain' myth. You need to read them again please.

Hi I have been off the internet for a few days. As stated I am only taking tylonol 500mg every 4 hrs. My last script for other drugs was for Oxycodone 15mgs every 4 hrs. I took that for about 3 days. and before that was 10 mg every 4 hrs and before that 5 mg every four hours. I am now three weeks out my pain level when sitting, lying down is near zero. Pain level when walking is 2 to 3 and of course if I stretch the leg my pain level will go way up. It feels exactly the same to me if on the pain meds or off the pain meds. If I sit for 30 minutes and I stand I will have stillness for 20 to 30 seconds and then the stiffness will subide. Over all I feel so so I eat three meals a day but don't really feel like eating what I normally do. I am not really nauseous but just not right. I for the last three years have eaten a diet mostly protein and very little carbs due to a severe weight problem I was (425 lbs) I am now around 209 or so. I am paranoid about gaining weight again and when I don't feel 100 percent I tend to want to eat carbs I assume because carbs give you energy and I am a bit lacking in energy.

I sincerely appreciate everyones input. I do seem to be getting better every day but have my overall concerns of course. I do seem to feel better when not on drugs and would prefer not to go back on the oxycondone.

I went back and reread all the articles you left. I made me more aware of some things as to how to properly elelvate my leg etc. thanks again for the input.
I do see my OS in about 18 days or so. Untill then i will back the PT off. I believe maybe i am simply to anxious to be over this. thanks again.bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian
Recent bookmarks
Back