How long did everyone wear their TED hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukismom

Just wondering how long I will have to wear these hose. I was just taking my hose off and then putting them back on and I have been noticing that it seems like some parts of my skin are irritated or "tearing." Whenever I otuch those places, it feels like burning. Many thanks again.

I had a "little" issue with a few bloodclots. If I remember correctly, I wore the hose for about four weeks. I had two pairs of them---they were a pain to get back on!

As for your skin tearing---is the fabric of the hose cutting into the skin? I can remember wrinkles bothering the heck out of me, too. Perhaps others have had this happen to them, too, and can give you some sound advice.

TSC

There is some disagreement in the medical profession about whether the hose really do anything to protect against clots, especially when the patient is up and around during the day. Some doctors don't use them. Some patients get fed up and discard them. The length of time people are told to wear them varies from a couple of weeks to more than 6 weeks.

You need to use your own judgement and possibly confer with your surgeon. If they are causing problems with your skin, you may want to contact your doctor and see if you can discontinue them. If he wants you to wear them, then you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to ditch them.

First, the compression hose I was given in the hospital were for a tall thin person. I am short and stout. They did not fit at all - acted more like tourniquets. I ordered a pair on line, to my measurements, and that made a huge difference. Also, they came with a dandy silky liner that made them a snap to put on.

Second, I was told at the one month check I could stop wearing them (as of 11/21/10 I am 9 weeks post op). I did not. I still wear them because if I don't I get too swollen in the lower leg, and that does not feel good either.

I am unable to take anti-inflammatories so swelling has been a pretty big issue because of how ROM is restricted. However, the incision looks fabulous and I am doing my exercises and do have 96 degrees, so I am OK with it all. After reading on this forum, I realize that time will be the solution.

Nancy

As Nancy states, mine did not fit & were just dreadful to wear. Since the jury is out on their effectiveness, I quit wearing them after 3 days at home. However, I do wear knee length compression dress socks when I expect to be on my feet for a long time. They do help & I enjoy the benefit.

I think I took a pair of scissors in my highly medicated state and cut them off immediately after surgery.

I think I took a pair of scissors in my highly medicated
state and cut them off immediately after surgery.

Good for you Merry :hehe:

I was so pleased that my surgeon did not want his patients to wear
TEDS otherwise I would probably have done the same as you!

My OS said he didn't care; if I like them, then wear them if not don't. He is from the camp that doesn't think they help much.

About three hours. They left such a wound on my leg, they immediately took them off never to be seen again!!!:jump:

I didn't wear mine either . I think I do need to ice more though as the swelling feels like a band around my knee and now upper thigh .
Great thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks