• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Revision THR Hip revision

Tidy101

Country
United States United States
Well had the revision done on April 9th 2019. From the loose stem,only a year ago from first, Everything went well ,they said it was a longer stem and he put some kind of double ball joint in it .the surgeon said it should this time work well for me. Well I did the physical therapy twice in hospital and did them well, thought man this is going great, but boy after getting discharged my hip has reminded me how much its ticked at me doing this again.lol. The pain went from 4 to 9 real fast and now home , I dont won't movement at all. Any one else got the double ball joint ? This site has really helped me in meeting other with the same problems.

:welome: Hi Tidy, happy to see you out of surgery and home. The home trip can be very tiring both physically and mentally so now just rest and ice. Don't expect anything more of yourself than getting back and forth to the bathroom and grabbing some ice packs for the next few days at least.

Other will be along shortly that may share you double ball joint and also to leave you some recovery guidelines.

Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us!
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the double ball joint you've mentioned. Possibly someone will come along who's experienced the same.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom. Stop back often so we can offer support and encouragement as you're healing.

A great rest of the day to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Tidy101

Great update!
Remember heel-toe walking for the limp. Heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes.
It may feel unfamiliar and take some concentration, but it works.
I hope you have a great weekend. Stay in touch.
@Tidy101

Layla first told me about the heel toe and it really helped. Sometimes it's best to stick with the cane and heel toe until you see an improvement with the limping. I could walk with a limp but stuck with my walker in the house until I got it straightened out. I didn't want to go through all of this and end up still limping in the end. Slow & steady, it might be a pain in the tush but that's better than a pain in the hip! :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member