Revision THR Hip Revision surgery recovery time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne Ryall

Hi, I had hip revision surgery 8 weeks ago and I am still having trouble getting off one crutch to a cane. I am 50 years old and had the surgery because my previous hip resurfacing failed after 5 years because of metal ions getting into my blood stream. I am in good health and remember my previous surgeries being much faster. The surgeron did some bone grafting on this surgery. I have a bit of groin and buttock pain. I feel really impatient as I am a teacher who moves around a lot.

Hi Lynne

Welcome to BoneSmart, great that you have joined.

You have had your fair share of issues with the metal ions entering your blood stream, you must be relieved to now have a brand new hip. Do you want to tell us a little more about what prostheses you have now.

I know the temptation to compare each surgery is there, but each surgery is different and will take its time. I know it is not a word you want to hear, but we have all had to learn the real, true meaning of patience with our recovery journeys. I think you are doing great considering you have also had bone grafting.. Slow and steady hon :)

Once again, welcome :)

Thanks for your advice on this one. Now I have a ceramic on metal protheses. The problem is that I have a second hip resurfacing protheses in my right leg. The hip that had the revision was clicking before so that is why they did the surgery after a blood test. I will have to be tested again in August to check whether the metal ion levels have gone down and that my right hip isn't giving off metal as well. The bone grafting was small only in one place. When I went in at the 6 week check the PT was worried and said one spot still hadn't healed on the x ray in the acetabular area, probably where the bone grafting was. He was going to keep me on touch weight bearing, but then the doctor in charge said that I should go to partial weight bearing because it would heal better. One crutch works fine, but a cane is difficult.

Lynne, you have to bear in mind that you are waiting on bone healing which can take about 8-10 weeks. In that time, you will need to go easy on the weight bearing if you are to get the best out of your revision.This isn't like a primary hip replacement - you need a lot of patience.

Thanks again, it does feel a little better today. I have been walking on one crutch for about a week and it does feel as if it is healing. How much weightbearing does a cane take? I am allowed to take about 50% of my weight on the injured leg until I go next week to the surgeon again. Just wondering-one crutch works very well right now. The PT said I could do that. What is your opinion on two crutches versus one crutch versus a cane?

You cannot 'feel' bone healing. What you are feeling is the reduction of inflammation in the incisional area. And you should be on two crutches. You cannot possibly weight bear 50% with two canes never mind one!

Lynne,
Wishing you well with this recovery! Sounds like you have had a tough journey but hopefully things are looking up for you now. I'm a teacher also and understand your anxiety about getting up and moving around.....I was really worried after hip 1 but it was ok and I'm hoping hip 2 is the same:) keep us up-to-date on your recovery. I'm sure things will keep getting better!
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties