THR Hip revision and 3 dislocations in 6 months

Iloveemma

Country
United States United States
This a long story. I have had bilateral hip replacements done (2005 and 2007). They were metal on metal. About a year ago, I started having left groin pain. Took awhile to get a diagnosis. But the two metals wearing and my blood cobalt level was three times the normal range. So I had metallosis. I had to wait three months for surgery. The surgery confirmed I had metallosis and there was muscle tissue damage and I had a lot of scar tissue. They excised the damaged muscle tissue.
I had the surgery which went very well. I had very little postop pain. I had still had some residual groin pain but it went away after two weeks.
I was very happy.
Unfortunately 6 weeks after surgery, I fell and dislocated my hip. Very painful. Had to visit ED and get it reduced. But then I had my hip two more times. I think the healing process was not completed and was I think made it weaker. It set me back in the healing.
Needless to say, it’s been traumatic summer. I’m still working on strengthening my muscles.
It almost dislocated last night. I fell a few days ago that’s what probably caused the near dislocation. So I’m back to being more careful, especially bending over to pick up something on the floor. I violated the 90 degree rule.
Maybe I got a over confident. I’ve also had both knees replaced.

I’m 67 and live alone plus I have a dog who is not potty trained. I just don’t think I could find a new home. She’s diabetic and requires insulin twice a day. Finally got her blood sugar down to 108. So I’m happy about that.

So those who are experiencing complications from surgeries just hang in there.

@Iloveemma Welcome back to BoneSmart! Which hip had the revision surgery? We will update your signature for you.

So sorry you are having such a tough time. Please do obey the restrictions as much as possible. Can you get a friend or neighbour to come in and help with your dog?

I'll leave you with a copy of our guidelines. They have been updated since your first THRs.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You've been through a lot and its understandable that your Summer felt traumatic. We've all read how painful dislocations can be. Please leave the date of the revision surgery so we're able to update your signature.
I agree with,
Jaycey, on following the restrictions to the best of your ability so its less likely this will happen again.
Hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out, you've dealt with enough.
Take good care!
@Iloveemma

I had the hip revision done April 14, 2022

Thanks! Was it the right, or left hip?
@Iloveemma

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, you have been through so much.
I certainly hope things improve.

It’s getting better I no longe feel that the hip will dislocate. I dislocated my hip in August, they reset it under code conscious sedation. For some reason they admitted me. I tested positive for Covid and was quarantined for ten days. I was on complete bed rest the to rehab. I think that helped with the healing process

Well that was heck of a way to get your rest but seems like it worked! All my best.

I had my original hip replacement in 2007. Everything went well until 2021. Started having excruciating groin pain. Went to PT because of my limp (weak gluteal muscles). PT didn’t help do I went to se my OS. He sent me for lab work. Blood chromium and cobalt were somewhat elevated. He sent for a guided imagery groin cortisone injection. Didn’t help. I blood repeated. Cobalt and chromium had increased to toxic levels.
I did some reading and I found that my implant was metal on metal and there were several trials done and Depuy was found guilty and to pay $560 million dollars.

So I had a hip revision surgery done in April 2022. I also found out that I had an MRI that showed that I had muscle atrophy in the gluteal muscles. I have had a limp for many years. The surgery went well, but because of the metal in the surrounding tissues around the implant, the muscles were not strong enough to hold the implant into place.I dislocated my hip six weeks after surgery. I proceeded to do that four more times and then I dislocated it twice in January in early February so I had another hip revision in February. And so far so good but I still have a limp and keeping up with walking every day. And I’m sorry to say, but it is extremely difficult listening to people talking about how they’re doing so well and they don’t need a walker and I am four months out of my surgery and I’m still having to use a walker.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Iloveemma - Whilst I appreciate that you are having a difficult time and are depressed and angry about your situation, I have found this forum to be a godsend for what to expect from a relatively straightforward recovery. So personally I am very glad to hear that people are doing well, better than I am a lot of the time, because it gives me hope that I will get there too in time. :angel:

Don't worry, from what I'm reading and what you have already endured be patient. Not what you want to hear I'm sure. I was on walker much longer than most due to fracture still present at my first post op Xray appt with OS. I was put on light weight bearing for 4 more weeks in hopes that small fracture would heal itself otherwise more surgery. Happy to say it did begin to heal on its own.
Hang in there, keep posting and reading, we've all had depressing days but I'm sure your situation will improve.

Hello Iloveemma.
I am so sorry for all of the physical pain you've endured as you suffered multiple dislocations and recently a revision. We have another member, currently, that's also struggled through multiple dislocations. Honestly, so many that I've lost count and would need to check her signature. Her name is danelady if you care to look
up / read her thread you may not feel as alone. Your frustration and exasperation is certainly understandable, as is your disinterest in reading of others successes. However, we do thank you for sharing your story here for the possible benefit of others and hope that this surgery will result in perfect healing. Wishing you all the best!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd prefer a different thread title just let us know and we'll be happy to make that change for you.
@Iloveemma

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy