THR Here we go again

volleygirl

Country
United States United States
I have my second hip on Nov 30. My right hip was done July 3, and now the nasty left hip is in the gun sights.
I am diligent in doing the exercises prior to both surgeries. Question...I am having issues with fatigue and discomfort in both legs after standing for anything past 15 minutes. Shouldn't the right hip be a bit further along? I used to bike, play volleyball, garden, swim, before the first surgery, and now find it exhausting to do any of the things I like to do. What experiences have any of you had in this regard? Thanks.

Hi @volleygirl
Welcome!

I know how frustrating recovery can be... but 4 1/2 months is really still early in what can take a year or beyond.... especially with a bad hip to go.:unsure:
am diligent in doing the exercises prior to both surgeries.
What exercises are you doing?
I know pre-surgery... I did well just to baby my bad hips and go through normal daily activities and pray for time to pass quickly.
I did work on my upper body strength as you know this is really helpful during recovery.
Question...I am having issues with fatigue and discomfort in both legs after standing for anything past 15 minutes. Shouldn't the right hip be a bit further along?
As I say, with one bad hip.... and less than six months... I'd say you aren't behind the curve.
Many members who had both hips replaced within a year find that energy levels and stamina are definitely an issue.
I think getting #2 on board is going to make things go alot better once you get through those initial bumpy days.
I'm glad it won't be too long now.

Chronic hip pain just wears you out! And you may be walking all wrong trying to stay off that bad hip. Soon you will join the double hippie club. Then you can focus on a full recovery and getting back to that active life.

@volleygirl
I'm about your age and in good enough shape to have been quite physically active before becoming hip limited. Pain and increasing immobility pre-op seriously cut into my energy level pre-op (5 years) and post-op the healing also took away an enormous amount of energy and vitality. But that's the process of healing from major surgery. It demands 100%.

You say: " now the nasty left hip is in the gun sights."

That's your left hip girl. I know this is an attempt at humor but this is your experience alone and you have the opportunity to make it one of gratitude rather than a battle you plan to win (against yourself!).

Part of the problem I see in the way this works is that the medical people tell you that they are going to fix you, no problem, easy peasy, just follow the instructions on the box. But, if you remain passive, or worse a victum when the procedure doesn't fullfill your expectations 100%, you limit the opportunity to grow and flower through the ups and downs that are inevitable.

I hope all went well with your surgery, @volleygirl. Welcome to double hippy land. I got my second on 11/1/23. It’s been a journey to say the least but today starts week 10 and I just took a lovely bath! (A milestone since I live alone.) I was a volleyball player and coach for 40 years so your name stands out to me. Stay positive and know that soon you will see lots of little milestone wins throughout your journey. I get impatient as well but there’s no rushing healing via the old ways of “toughing it out” — I speak from experience as this is my life’s lesson — still chasing after me until I get it lol. I am surrendering to the process which takes a lot of strength too. All the best!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020