Help in Mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedHawk

I am in Mi. looking for a good surgeon for tkr. I live in the s.e. of Mi. (Macomb co.) and was wondering if you have heard of any names that have stood out in this area.

Hi MedHawk,

I'm a new member as well. I'm scheduled for bilateral TKR on Dec 9th. Mu surgeon is Robert Ference at DMC, Joint Plus Excel. So far I am very impressed with him and his staff. I'll let you know how he does after Dec 9th.

Bennet

Welcome Bennet and Medhawk to the bone/joint forum. Having been on line with these folks for about a year both before and after my BTKR I cannot say enough good things about the forum. Jo, the moderator/friend/nurse is a miracle of advice and caring and the rest of the folks are just as great. We have all been where you are going and are all great at sharing their own experience and helping each other over the hard spots as well as cheering and helping to celebrate the good times. Having them a part of my BTKR really was a blessing both for me and my OS as I am sure had it not been for Jo and the others here I would have driven my OS and his staff crazy calling to have questions answered. Good luck, I will look forward to seeing more posts from you both. Rowdy

Well thank you Rowdy, that is a very nice welcome. I've already appreciated the sharing and encouragement that the list provides.

I'm doing okay so far. As the surgery day approaches I have patches
of anxiety followed by feeling fine and looking forward to getting it done.

I do have a question that perhaps all you pros can answer. The question is: What would you say is the most important thing that you would share about your initial hospital/rehab experience?

So thanks again for your welcome. I'm sure I will be posting as questions and experience accumulate.

Bennet

Hello both - good to see you.

I'd say that would be expecting to feel low, depressed and even overwhelmed at times. That no-one in your family or circle of friends fully understand what you are going through (which they won't). That's where we all come in with advice, encouragement and reassurance.

God bless you both in your journey.

Paul J. Drouillard D.O. 734-422-8400 Garden City Hospital
Dr. Drouillard is young, has done over 1500 TKA. Has a very good reputation.
Good Luck...

Thank all of you for you're responses. I have had TKR on my right knee in 2000 and numerous other surgeries including 3rt knee(cartlidge), 4left knee(cartlidge) 3 shoulder and my back. There is something about the knee area that is a whole lot more sensitive than any other area of the body. Today the right knee is great but I still remember all the work and all the pain before getting to this point. Why suffer everyday though if you don't have to, right?

I do have a question that perhaps all you pros can answer. The question is: What would you say is the most important thing that you would share about your initial hospital/rehab experience?Bennet
Well, I'm hardly a "pro" as I've only had one joint replacement, but my strong recommendation is that you have a very detailed conversation with your surgeon about post-op pain relief. When I brought this up before my surgery, I allowed it to be dismissed with "don't worry, we'll keep you very comfortable". I really wish that I had pushed for more specifics, and that I had educated myself about the various options. For example, many members here have had the PCA device, where patients can give themselves metered doses of IV morphine as needed. I wish I had insisted on this. Instead, I had to rely on the timeliness of nurses with oral pain meds. With the severe nursing shortage in my hospital, meds were routinely quite late, allowing the pain to reach a very unmanageable point. Even with the meds, my pain was not adequately controlled, but I didn't know enough about the various narcotic agents to know what to ask for (i.e. what's stronger than what?). I also found that the amount and type of pain meds I received at discharge was inadequate, but because I didn't know enough about them, I kept quiet, figuring I must just be a big baby about pain. I don't like to be a complainer. Now I've learned that I probably should have been on stronger meds and been given a quantity sufficient enough that I wouldn't have to ration them and sit around suffering. Next time around, I will be much better informed (and more demanding!).

Of course, everyone experiences different levels of pain and different relief from various agents. Hopefully, you'll be among the lucky ones for whom pain management isn't a problem. Better to go in informed and prepared though. Best of luck to you Bennet and Medhawk. I'm glad you found us!

I too am glad I found you all. The information and support on this forum is fantastic. I'm having RTKR in 10 days and if I do OK with the right LTKR several days later. My OS will not do them both in the same day. I trust his judgment. He told me and my husband that he does about 14 TKR a day 3 days a week. I am 66, have had 5 children but have never had any surgery or even a broken bone. I've been suffering and putting surgery off for over 8 years and now I'm so scared and upset that I have problems thinking clearly. I'm sure you have been there too.

Hey Mary Ellen, it's normal to be a bit scared, but if you truly read through this forum you will see how happy the vast majority of us are with the results. Take heart!

Hi MaryEllen,

Since I am in the same position as you, I can't offer reassurances that every thing will be okay. However, what I can offer is something I often tell myself. There is so much to this surgery and recovery that I can't control, and a lot of things that I can. I, like you have taken the time to find a surgeon that I like, trust and totally believe wants the absolute very best for me. So, I put in his and his staff hands, all that I cannot control. However, I am reassured that I will be responsible for the other part of this surgery, THE REHAB. That is in my control and I am absolutely trusting that I will work as hard and as intelligently as I can to bring about a successful and full recovery.

Also like you, I am willing to reach out to friends, family and this very generous and knowledgeable community, who have been in exactly the same position as us. WE ARE NOT ALONE. The people around us want the very best for us.

We have a lot going for us.

Take good care of yourself and continue to use all the resources that we have available to us.

Bennet

Thanks again for all responses. Bennet are you still sced. for Dec. 9th. if so best of luck. I am setting up appt. for 2 more Dr. 1st. one did not pass the test lol. I'll keep posting progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member