"Following" Someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElanorG

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I am probably putting this in the wrong place, but I looked all over the forum for what the definition of this is and could not find it. What does it mean when you are "following someone"? I have "followed" some people and did not notice anything different in my notifications as when I was not following them, or at least it did not appear so. So I would like to know what is the reason to "follow" someone?

I have no idea. I know if I'm subscribed to a thread, as I seem to be to my own, i get a notification at the bottom of the page, but I'm on forum runner.

I think that it just means that it that person posts then you are notified of it. That way you can follow what they are saying no matter if it is on their thread or someone elses.

If you hover your mouse over your user name at the top of the page, you get a drop down of things to manage your forum account. "People You Follow" is an option you can select. If you select persons to follow, you will be notified every time they post, so you can keep up with them. If you don't want this feature, you can deselect.

This is why I was asking because I don't think it is working. If I am following Person A, I should get notified if they post on any thread, whether I am following the thread or not, or whether I have posted on that thread or not. If that is how it is supposed to work, that is not happening. I only get notified for threads I post to and then if anyone posts after me I get a notification for their post. So that is why I was asking for clarification.

Hi Lisa,
I don't know either. I get alerts if someone responds to me. I guess I should look into it when I have more time. Anywho, love your posts!

"Following" is the same as "Friending" in the old vBulletin forum. It means nothing, does nothing. You don't get any alerts but when people look at your profile they just see what a canny, popular person you are by the number of people following you and being followed by you! :wink:

Josephine, thanks so much for the explanation! And for the Christmas smilies! :santawave: :santaclap: :xmaswindow: :xmaskitty: :xmaskitty: :xmaskitty: :xmastree:

I was wondering this too, so I'm glad you asked. Does anyone else find their notifications and alerts seem pretty random, though? For instance, Nyland, I can't get to get notifications about you. :sad:

My alerts are random too. Sometimes I get a bunch and then other times I find out that I missed a bunch on those I "follow" so I don't think it does anything other than show how "popular" you are.

At the top of the first post on the right of the person, it says watch thread. If you want to follow someone's story, click watch thread. I hope that helps!

"Following" Someone You get alerts when someone has clicked "Like" at the bottom of your post to indicate that they like that particular post

or "Following" Someone if someone "tags" you in a post in order to get your attention so you'll be sure to read that post.

I have no clue about it all either! Hey are any of you reading anything good? I'm finishing my book (Memory Keeper's Daughter) tonight and want to start a new one.

Here is what I have figured out. You get an alert if someone "likes" something you wrote. If you are "watching" a thread you get an email notification for the first post after you have posted but not subsequent posts until you post again. This one works odd sometimes as I sometimes will get multiple emails even though I have not posted and sometimes I get no emails, although there have been a few times the emails went to spam, so check you spam folder.

The apparent randomness can be explained if you go look at your Preferences in your Control Panel. There are a whole slew of boxes to tick or untick according to your .... um ....preferences!!

"Following" Someone

Josephine, I liked it better when you were Judge Judy. I have a feeling the two of you have a lot in common! :heehee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads