Failed LPKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tom,
Wow, I am reading your posts and some of it sounds so familiar I can't believe it!!! I had 2 scopes on my right knee and ended up with a Partial knee done 3/10/09.

Long story short, within 3 months I knew something was very wrong. I pushed for testing, x-rays, white blood cell scan etc. The OS kept saying I must have done something, or maybe the implant was loose. Needless to say, much pain for several more months. I found a NEW OS, and with one xray he said I should never have had the partial, there was already too much damage done from arthritis. I can say I had a TRKR done on 11/1/10 and can already tell it was the right thing to do.

My OS said the partial practically fell apart in his hands while he was doing the revision. He did resurface the kneecap, and said the 1st OS had removed more bone then he would have liked, but otherwise I think it went fairly well. I do not think the recovery was THAT different, and if possible this was almost a little easier because everything felt a little different from the start. This time it feels like it belongs if that makes any sense. Yes, it was swollen, painful and was tight, but I took the pain meds all the time and iced and rested. Just like I was told.

There is no going back and I know that, but I wish I had done this from the start!! I wish you the best of luck and I think when this is done you will be happy you did this. The anticipation is the worst. Sorry this was so long, but since we have similar stories, I thought I would add my 2 cents. You take care of yourself and keep checking in. No matter what you ask or need, someone on here will try to find an answer. This is a great place to talk!!!!

That sounds like a wonderful recovery zone for you, Tom. I'm glad you're going to be safe and well-cared-for. I wouldn't worry about the tile floors. You should do fine on them. But do remove any small rugs that are scattered about. They are tripping hazards!!

Thank You Deb, Pleasure to meet you!! I was wondering if anyone else had a Revision from a Partial to a total. Thanks for the reassurance.

I have a question Deb. during the time between the PK and the Revision, did you have to resort to a cane or crutches again?? I'm asking because I am having considerable pain just walking.

I feel like you do I should have done this from the start, and I wish I would have found this forum MONTHS before my PKR was suggested. Instead of a week!!
Thanks again Deb!!

Hi Jamie, I don't know If you remember, but at about 3 wks. after my surgery, I fell down the stairs letting the Physical Therapist in. I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem now. I know right after I went In for x-rays and my O.S. said everything looked fine. Unfortunately, (as we all know) x-rays usually don't tend to show much with a prosthetic.

As for the tripping hazards everything I could possibly trip over has been removed already I will just make sure that the tiles stay dry. water and tile don't mix LOL!!

Have a great day Everyone!!

It's highly unlikely this loosening has anything to do with your fall. The mechanics don't tally. Usually a loosening is because the bone/cement interface has failed and that's a long term occurrence.

Hi Tom,
Yes between the 2 surgeries, I used a cane a lot of the time. I tried the crutches, but with me, it was more dangerous then NOT using them. I am a bit of a klutz! I took pain meds, and when I came home after work I iced and elevated. No choice at that point, only thing I could do to get ready for the next work day. Do whatever you need to do right now to keep comfortable before the TKR. At least since the RTKR, I seem some improvement everyday, I can't say I felt that way after the partial. Best of Luck and keep us posted!!!

Tom, I am going from needing crutches some days to not needing them. You have to decide, but it sure does help when you are in pain.:wink:

Thanks Deb, Jo and Sonja, I applied for Short Term Disability today, I need to get the
ball rolling as soon as possible. It could take up to three weeks for my claim approval.
I will keep you posted. I have a cane, so I will keep it handy! Have a great Day Everyone!!!

Yes, Tom....I do remember your fall and the discussions that followed about wrapping you up in bubble wrap!!! I'm with Jo....I doubt this was the cause of your current problems. Sometimes PKRs just work out this way.....the luck (or un-luck) of the draw. Sorry it's happening to you, but I do believe you'll be okay following the TKR.

Hi Jamie, You and Jo are right. I guess it's just difficult to come to grips with the
fact that it lasted for only a little over a year. I can't wait to get in and get it fixed
I have to play the hand i was dealt. Thanks again!!

Tom, I have been on disability for almost a year. I will be going off of disability hopefully by the start of school next year or earlier!:wink: I want to do something again. My leg is getting better, but Dr. Maale and Dr. Defee are being very cautious with me. I taught 7th grade for 20 years and I miss being out in the public. I'm not sure I will go back to teaching,:skep: but I want to do something.:wink:

Sonja, I agree that you should go back out into the world. With your personality and positive attitude, you have a lot to offer and I believe you will find a great niche where you can shine again!

Tom that sounds like a great place to recover. Yikes...I still can't believe you have to go through this again so soon.....

Hi Jamie, Sonja, and Mj. Sorry I haven't had much time to get on the comp. I've been packing and working, the time is getting short and i have a lot to do. Christmas is closing in fast as well. I have an office visit tomorrow for some "Special X-rays" of my knee (so I am told) before surgery.

Blue cross (My Insurance carrier) is whining, so I have spent the last 2 days getting together paperwork to appease them that this doesn't fall under a "Pre-existing condition clause" I think I have that straightened out! (I HOPE!) I should find out by the end of the week. (depending on how long it sits on somebody's desk!) Whoops! now I AM whining! LOL!! (STRESS)

My Pre-admission/Anesthesia appt. is Mon. 12-13, and due to The P.a. not coming in this past Mon. (GRUMBLE) My Primary Care physician's clearance physical is Thurs. 12-16. WHEW!

Sonja I wish you all the best! I hope whatever It is that you go back to doing, leaves you happy and fulfilled. Please be careful! I am happy to hear that your Doc's are!

Hi Mj, and Thanks! I was really hoping for a ten year reprive from all this! ( at LEAST!) but, oh well watcha gonna do??

On a good note my Patriots gave the Jets a "How To Play Football"...."CLINIC" (45-3 !!!!) Monday night !! I wished I wasn't working so I could have watched the destructionLOL!!! (Sorry, all in good fun!!)

Hi Tom, don't worry about whining here. I would be doing the same if I were in your shoes. All that paperwork to get the care you need (don't get me started :hsft:)!

I wish you all the best through all your pre-op visits. Hang in there and keep us updated. By New Years you will have a shiny new knee!

Hi Jacey, Thanks, you're right! This will all be worth it in the end! I'm having serious difficulty walking and work is becoming extremely difficult.

My right knee has been acting up as well. It started giving me trouble in June, I saw my O.S. in July. He wanted to send me to PT and see me in Dec. I couldn't afford the sixty dollars a week so I joined a gym in Sept. (this was to strengthen my quads for a scope). It feels exactly like the left knee when I needed a menisectomy.

I'm gonna ask about this today, but I was curious, while I am already under and on the table, if they could do a quick scope of the right knee after the TKR????

I am relying on the right knee way to much to get the weight off my left, what could it hurt. Kinda like a ... "While your under the hood, could you you ??" I don't know but maybe it's worth the ask???

Well, you could ask, but I think the answer will be no. I've never known a TKR and a scope be done at the same time. Too much for the patient and too much for the surgeon! :wink: Seriously though, when they do a bilateral replacement, the kit they need for it is already in the theatre. It would also be in the way if they did a scope, so it would mean trucking OUT that equipment and IN a whole load of different equipment resulting in an unacceptable delay between procedures.

Thanks Jo, That makes a lot of sense. I figured they wouldn't want me out for that long anyway. could be risky!

TOM! I just stopped in on the forum as I'm having surgery tomorrow and I see you going through all this again! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
You're way to young for all this ****, LOL. What a way to spend Christmas, huh?
I'm going in tomorrow for an arthroscopy to hopefully clean out some scar tissue and stop my TKR knee from clunking. I sure hope everything else looks good in there. I don't mean to hijack your thread so I'll get back to you now.
Maybe you'll find a new bubble suit under your tree this year!
Best of luck with everything and please keep us posted.

It's good to hear from you, Bunny.....hope everything goes well for you tomorrow!!!

Hi Tom,

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Thank you for the nice words about my future!:wink: I am working hard in PT to try to have "normal" knees again.

I had 2 knee surgeries on my right knee (as you probably already know), so I am very thankful that you don't have to deal with infection!

Things will go well for you! I just know they will!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks