Erythropoietin before surgery to enable autologous blood donation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plonanon

Greetings people.

This is a bit long. My apologies.

I was originally scheduled to have a THR in July. Pre-op blood work was off in a number of ways, partly because I was sick shortly before I did the tests, and partly because I am slightly anemic. I was referred to a hematologist and have done several additional sets of blood work since then.

I met with the hematologist this week. My hemoglobin, which was 11 a month ago, is still 11. In her opinion, I do not have iron-deficiency anemia. She does not know what is causing the anemia.

She said that if I am willing to postpone my surgery yet again, she would recommend that I do so. She feels it is not wise to go into an operation while one is anemic if there is a good chance of needing a transfusion, since that transfusion would necessarily be from another person if the patient is too anemic to donate to himself. She prefers to use transfusions very sparingly because of her fear that there are things in the blood supply that cannot be tested for and that can be problematic.

She said to wait another month, do more blood tests, and then see her again. She raised the possibility of using erythropoeitin so that I would cease to be anemic. When she mentioned that it stimulates red blood cell growth, my first question was whether it might stimulate cancer. She acknowledged that that was an issue, though she pointed out that it is used in treatment of leukemia patients. Later, I discovered that it also increases the risk of a blood clot in those who use it prior to orthopedic surgery.

Overall, I strongly agree with her approach of trying to avoid an infusion. I would like to get the surgery over with, but my level of pain is not terrible.

I am looking for additional information on the use of erythropoeitin. I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Wow - very complex situation you have. I am not a medical expert but in your situation I would do the same thing (if you can tolerate the pain). I'm tagging Jo our forum nurse to see if she can comment on the erythropoeitin Josephine; Hang in there she should be along shortly.

Hi there and welcome. I have absolutely no idea why people are so phobic about donated blood. Here in the UK, it's the standard treatment and we never store our own blood for transfusion (infusion is IV fluids, btw!). Having read up about this drug, I would say the risks with that are far higher than the risks with donated blood. This woman has a bee in her bonnet about it, methinks!

Just how anaemic are you anyway? Would have to be pretty low to interfere with a TKR as the blood loss is not all that gross. FLUID loss is a different thing and causes volaemia (low blood volume) rather than anaemia which is a low blood cell count. Quite different. Volaemia can be adjusted by the use of simple intravenous fluids like dextose/saline or gelfusin and similar volume expanders. Thus the need for blood cells can be made up by using packed cells where the plasma has been spun off and mostly the cells remain, specifically the red blood cells which are the ones with haemoglobin, the lack of which is the condition we call anaemia.

In addition, special vacuum drains - one of which is called Celltrans - can be used which filter the drainage from the wound into a blood transfusion pack (all in a sealed unit) and when its full enough, about 4-500mls, the transfusion bag is disconnected from the wound drainage unit and attached to your IV cannula. So there's a way you can get your own blood back instead of them tossing it down the drain!

But I'd much sooner go for either autologous or donated blood transfusion than this drug. It's not like it's a matter of life and death.

I'm wondering why your doctor is not doing further exploration to determine why you are anemic in the first place. If it's not iron deficiency, then I wonder about internal bleeding. Shouldn't that be checked on?

Thanks for your responses.

The doctor is a hematologist, and I have to take what she says about the blood supply seriously. This is her profession.

It's a hip replacement, not knee, and my understanding is that there is normally a lot of bleeding in THR. My hemoglobin is 11, which is not that low, but it is too low in her opinion for autologous blood donation.

The doctor said that if there were internal bleeding, my ferritin level would not be normal. Since it is normal, she was convinced that it is not internal bleeding.

I have met her twice, but I was told by two other doctors that she is good. I have no reason to doubt them.

Well, you said your doctor wanted to do further blood tests....I assume that might help to pinpoint whatever the underlying cause of the anemia is. So you could wait to see what that turns up, without taking the erythropoietin. It sounds like there are enough questions being raised that you would want to proceed cautiously before taking any overt actions at this point....THR, medication, etc.

Just for the record though, a THR does not always result in large blood loss. When my surgeon came to see me after surgery last month, he commented that I had very little blood loss. I don't know if that's due to his skill as a surgeon, or to my body's ability to tolerate surgery, or whatever. It did help contribute to a very speedy recovery. Have you discussed your hemotologist's concerns with your surgeon?

Good luck with this, Plonanon. It's scary enough to deal with the whole concept of a THR, without having other complications thrown in. I hope you get some answers and resolution soon.

Sharon

Thanks Sharon. The plan is to see what my blood work shows in a month and then to discuss erythropoeitin. I am thinking of seeing another hematologist for a second opinion. I am not a person to do anything like this without looking into it pretty carefully.

The error was a typo! I knew you were having a hip done! I still think that medication is OTT for an 'anaemia' of 11.

Hi Plonanon,

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry you are having some delays in getting to your THR surgery.

My OS had a particular protocol regarding transfusion related issues. He did not require autologous donations because they found that often put the patient into the anemic zone and they then needed their blood back after surgery. I have read a new article regarding further research that his office has conducted in dealing with lowering the numbers of patients that need transfusions and while they don't mention the drug used by name I assumed that it was procrit or erythropoeitin to boost levels prior to surgery. Here is a link to the news letter the article is called "Championing new procedures" (pictured are my surgeon and very favorite PA).

FWIW, I did not donate blood prior to surgery and was sent in to surgery just on the cusp of being anemic. Because my surgery was related to a congenital issue and I'd had a surgery as an infant my vascular system was a bit different than what was expected and I bleed 20 minutes into the procedure requiring the use of a special cautery tool. I did have the vacuum drain post-operatively but was told that the fluid in that drain could not be introduced back in to my body, it was not all blood. I did require 2 pints of blood and an extra day in the hospital to meet my PT goals. At the point of transfusion there was disagreement between the OS doctors and the hospitalist doctor on transfusing. According to the OS doctors they do not like to transfuse as it raises the chance of an infection in the joint. The hospitalist doctors did not want to send me home to collapse in a heap with my family to rescue me...

I got my two bags of blood, went home with ongoing low levels of hematocrit & hemoglobin and this lead to my needing to take it extra slowly at home and eat iron fortified foods and take supplements for months. My fatigue level was much different from a patient that had not struggled with the anemia and it took months to get back up to speed.

Maybe a conversation between your OS and your hematologist would be good so that they can plan and evaluate your situation in more individualized detail. I wish you luck with this and hope that you can get to a healthy, strong point before venturing forth with your THR surgery.

Take care,
Cardie

Thank you, Cardie. That was interesting information and actually tends to back up my hematologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks