THR Equipped with my new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 hours ago, I was in pre-op. Now I'm packing my bag and getting my discharge papers.

WOW WOW WOW! That is SO quick! I hope you are settling into home and being completely pampered!

*who by by has the pizza delivery number?!

BAHAAA! My hubby is a pizza delivery guy (really awesome job too!) - I will fly him over! :heehee:

Just checking in to see how you're doing today? This first week to ten days can be quite trying (a lot of adjustments finding what works with sleeping and pain control). I hope all is well Wendy. :console2:

Thanks for the love everyone and thanks for checking in this morning, @Cynthia777. Here's my story while it's still kind of in my still slightly foggy mind. We arrived at 10:15 as requested. Nothing happpened until almost 2pm. And the nice volunteers in the surgery waiting room were baking fresh cookies for the support people waiting. Smelled too darn good :)

Back to pre-op, and I had a British nurse so she and my husband had some good conversation and it served as a bit of a distraction with the two of them talking about their old homes. But let me tell you, that nurse was very critical and judgemental of this board. It put me off. She couldn't understand why I'd go read somewhere where it was all what she deemed "negative". Trying to tell her otherwise was futile. When the anestheliogist came in, I made a last minute decision to be straight up honest with him. I told him I'd been taking 1 and a half of my pain pills, instead of the prescribed one for about the last month. He assured me it was good for him to know, so he'd know my tolerance might be a bit higher than if it'd just been one. And he went on to tell me 1 1/2 isn't abhorable - he often enough sees folks who take 2-3 times the dosage. Then he came with the versed, and I have to believe he made adjustments on that dosage because that was the end of any lucidity/memories for me. My husband told me I kissed him goodbye in a seemingly coherent state. But believe me, I wasn't. I don't even recall the post op room.

We went with a spinal, propofol, injection of experel into the hip and an anterior approach. When I woke up (kind of), I was apparently ravenous. I have no memory of any of this yet, so my husband took a photo. Nice of him, eh?! What is really touching in the photo is the handwritten and laminated note that is taped on my gown pocket and shown on the right. I brought if for inspiration. It's something my late daughter wrote 3 months before she passed away. The OR staff taped it in gown pocket for safe keeping. That meant the world to me - the reverence they showed.

Now it was Friday night and we went up to the room and woke up a bit more to devour pizza and slurpees (bless my husband). The next morning, got the cath out and was told it was time to get up. Just like I'd read here, it was tough the first time and each time got a bit easier - until the point in which I have done too much and then it's just painful. That happened yesterday because the home nurse came by as well as PT. I'm so on the fence about PT. I'm going to try today with walking 5-10 minutes each hour only and see the effect that has. I've been icing every waking moment and staying right on schedule with my pain meds, except for last night. I did not even wake up to use bathroom, or with pain or anything so I went about 9 hours or so and was not miserable without them. *Not ready to dance yet, just not utter misery.

I think I'm overthinking the elevating part of this, trying to get my legs above my hip and my heart above my legs. I'm not sure why it's difficult, but I'll keep working on it today. And yes,I'm using the diagrams provided here.

To summarize, I thought my pain/level of nastiness would be about a 19 on a scale of 1-10, and it's basically been around an 8 or better and definitely better today. So it's a win for sure. Thanks for reading. I thought of you all often!

Attachments

• Wendy hospital crackers.jpg
    Wendy hospital crackers.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 157
Welcome to the good side. Just remember, you are discharge TO recover, not fully recovered. Lots of healing to do. Slow and steady does it!

@WendyP648 Glad that your op went well. Jaycey is so right --slow and steady like a turtle. My PT has me walking around the house for about 5/7 minutes every two hours. It's plenty :)
I don't ice 24/7 -- OS wants time for the bone to grow into the implant. I probably ice for about 30/40 minutes then have an hrs break --usually after PT, when I wake up in the morning and have nerve zippyness in my quad, and after a walk.
Re elevating -- I lie on the bed and put a pillow long-wise under the "owey" leg then another one under the end of that one --so it's like a wedge. I shuffle around until it feels okay.

Bless your heart Wendy! I'm so very sorry you lost your precious child. She was such a beautiful child.

As far as PT, I know exactly how being "on the fence" feels like! I sat there throughout my first THR and my second THR. It was a very difficult decision to not go. I figured I'd see how I was doing without PT and as long as I was progressing nicely with just walking (which I did) I wouldn't go. I'm so happy that I didn't go because I feel as though I've had one of the easier and speedier recoveries than most members on the forum. Just saying...

Glad everything went well. See you on the other side in about 24 hours. Also, if the worst picture of you post surgery is with a cracker in your mouth, then you're doing pretty good.

OMG!!! - @WendyP648 you are beautiful! Even with the cracker in your mouth! How thoughtful of you kind nurse to protect your inspiration note of your daughter. Angels among us, for sure. - Remember, Hippy partner, we are in this together and have promised to keep a slow and steady pace. I'm fully in for not rushing things and paying a price later. - I'm still working on the elevating thing....both when laying down and while sitting

@Nana2-8 and @WendyP648 I sleep on my non-op side with a soft pillow (or two) between my legs. I just did it automatically in the hospital and they said it was okay. I've tried to sleep on my back but the sound is not pretty at all :bignono:
I find with the hip that you don't need as much elevation as you do with a knee. I use a variation of the pillow stack in picture #4.

Just an update on my end. Five days out, I'm feeling mostly just energized and a general sense of it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. Yesterday I even thought the gall bladder removal might be a worse sugery than this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning date night or anything - I'm just not wincing with each breath. I had a slight fever yesterday along with a huge headache, which I think was just a fluke thing. Feeling better and no fever today.

PT comes today. That sends shivers up my spine. I'd like to tell him to please leave. We'll see. I am pleasantly surprised with my sleeping patterns. I'm actually sleeping 9-10 hours a night, with just one wake up call. Ice is my constant friend and about to call doc to see about refill on pain meds. I fear I'll get some push back on that. We'll see.

Blessings to all of us here. There's better out there for us - I believe it now.

How I envy you with continuous sleep! Great to hear - Remember, you are the boss when it comes to PT good luck. Do let us know how it goes

Hurray for you, Wendy!!! You're doing so well - it encourages all of us who are so close in surgery dates and recovery timelines! I'll be interested in hearing what your home PT wants you to accomplish. It doesn't take long in reading everyone's recovery threads to see how vastly different the approach to PT can be from therapist to therapist! I have one more visit with home PT tomorrow, then I'm being referred to the out-patient clinic. I feel quite conflicted about it all - I understand the possible need to work on the muscles that may need correcting in terms of gait rehabilitation... but perhaps those automatically get put to work as one slowly incorporates more and more walking into the day? I've decided to go ahead and set up my first few appointments, see how it goes, and then make my decision! Well, we're all on the journey together!
Welcome to the adventure of recovery!!!
:flwrysmile:

After I last posted, things got dark. I felt so depressed and not much good for much - other than a drain on my husband. I do suffer from depression, anxiety and PTSD, so I somehow thought I could miss that part of the recovery since I've "been there and done that". I did a lot of crying and acting out in anger for two days. Today I feel better there, but am mindful that it's just waiting for me, lurking in the background. That being said, I take each decent one as it comes, knowing this process/life is fluid.

I am still experiencing significant pain and am all about taking it slow. I have no desire to do anything more than sit in chair or lay down. Tuesday |I will have to go down the stairs and leave our apartment for my post op appointment. Wonder what the world looks like......

When I was sent home, I had a rx for oxycodone/acetaminophen 5-325mg. I was given 45 of them, with instructions to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. That meant the prescription could be gone in four days. ?? I have no desire to be a hero or macho and no problem taking the meds as prescribed - round the clock and so I did. Sure enough, I ran out four days later and called for more. This time I was given hydrocodone/acetaminophen 7.5-325mg with instructions to take one every six hours. Additionally I have Tramadol to supplement in between. My question is this: why would the doc change my meds? I find the hydro to not be as effective and feel that changing to something less strong (is that what he did - is the hydro at those doses less than the oxy?) four days after surgery was a bad move.

Also, I see on the board mentions of 1000 mg of acetaminophen. I know they'd changed all the oxy and hydro combos to only include 325 mg of acetaminophen after worry about too much acetaminophen and liver damage. Can someone speak to this, and why it's okay and recommended to take 1000mg or do I have this wrong? @Josephine ?

Monday is a new milestone. My husband starts his new job, after being off work for six months as he waited for immigration and green card to be sorted. I'm so happy for him and for us - but will miss him and the support at home. I'm a bit nervous, but not too, too much. I know he'll be beside himself with worry about me.

I think I had more questions or things to share, but can't remember. I'll update if I do. Thanks in advance.

@WendyP648 It seems that, at the moment, a few folks are facing the challenge of anxiety etc. Do you take "anxiety meds" and have a doctor to advise you? Are there any potential drug interactions with the pain meds? Have you been icing to help with pain?

I was sent home with the same meds and instructions. I took one every four hours until I could deal with the pain and move to an every 6 hr schedule. Next week I'll start reducing dosage very very slowly until I've replaced all the Percoset (oxy/ acetaminophen) with Tylenol and am on 1000mg four times a day. The total that a person can take of acetaminophen per day is 4,000mg.

@WendyP648 first and most important - you will be fine on your own at this point. If you are nervous doing things like showering with no one in the house - just wait until hubby gets home. Basic things like getting yourself something to eat might seem daunting now but I think (from my experience) you will find this very easy. Slow and steady.

Can you speak to your GP about your meds? Yes, they may try and taper you off one med for another. If it's not working for you do speak up! You still need your meds to get more mobility.

I'm going to tag another member who suffers from PTSD @Me2 . This is a real issue for some and I fully understand your increased anxiety. Please remember BoneSmart is here for you. You are not alone on this journey. One day at a time. You are doing great!

Also, I see on the board mentions of 1000 mg of acetaminophen. I know they'd changed all the oxy and hydro combos to only include 325 mg of acetaminophen after worry about too much acetaminophen and liver damage. Can someone speak to this, and why it's okay and recommended to take 1000mg or do I have this wrong?
The safe maximum of acetaminophen is 4,000mg per 24hrs. This coupled with the fact that it is the most effective over the counter pain med available, means it is a great additive to the pain meds you are prescribed. But you do need to add in the acetaminophen that is in the prescription med to ensure you don't exceed the 4,000mg per day.

Just sending you a big hug, hoping that tomorrow will be a little bit better. The roller coaster of recovery means we're all going to have the down times along with the more pleasant times, so please know you aren't alone! Praying for an easy clear-up of your medication concerns, lots of rest, and peace of heart and mind, as you face your husband's first work day on Monday. We'll all be on the forum at some point if you need us! That first time alone sounds overwhelming, but I was surprised at how well I managed. I know @Nana2-8 experienced the same thing! Big, deep breaths, Wendy - it will all be OK! We're making this journey together!!! xoxo

It's good to hear from you @WendyP648 - Congratulations to your husband on his new job. Try to put his mind, and yours, at ease especially in these, his first new days. As you have said, you are perfectly content, sitting on the couch, so....that is all you need to do! As long as you can reach your pills ( which I hope you have sorted in a daily pill box) have a large container of water for said pills, phone and phone charger, can get yourself to and from the bathroom....then you'll do fine. Don't try to shower while he's not around, ....try to have food available that you can eat while on the couch, etc. I was so worried that my DH would be out of town but managed just fine. When there's a will, there's a way!!! I have no tray on my walker, so carrying anything is out. However, I have twist-tied a small Dollar-store bag to my walker and transfer various things in that! Even ice ( in a covered styrofoam cup) along with my un-opened can of soda...and pour it when I reach the sofa. Covered storage containers can transfer liquid-y foods. I did leave the front door unlocked while DH was away in case I needed someone's help. - I hope that once both you and your DH get past the first few days of his work days, you will discover a whole new confidence in yourself. No matter what, we are just a click away. I am doing nothing more than being a couch potato myself, and check BS several times a day....all you have to do is give a shout out!! We will make it thru this together, remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom