Dynasplint

JERIB

Country
United States United States
I’m supposed to get my Dynasplint tomorrow. I’m mixed on it 12 weeks post op . Non displaced fracture. 2 screws and wires . 4 weeks PT and homework . Gone from 40 to 80 ROM . Very stiff and still swollen . I’m of the slow and steady camp and the brace sounds like iffy result torture .

@JERIB Welcome to BoneSmart! We do need a bit more information on your situation before we can advise you. You say you are 12 weeks PO - what surgery did you have and on which knee? Why has the surgeon recommended a brace?

Please know that 12 weeks out of any major knee surgery it is normal to be stiff and swollen. Ice and elevate per the instructions below.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I fell roller skating and suffered a displaced communicated fracture right patella. 2 screws and wires . Brace for 9 weeks . I have been in PT for a month and ROM went from 40 to 70 . Surgeon and PT think I should be at 90. PT pushed so hard that I was useless and in pain the next day . I’m happy with slow and steady .

Yep, you're instincts are sound: aggressive PT like that interferes with healing and it increases swelling so that any increase in flexion is transitory. Frankly to contemplate pushing on a repaired knee fracture is... I don't even want to think about it.

Thank you so much . They are “the experts” but I feel like all that pain can’t be good . I need to find a PT that will help but follow your philosophy .

I need to find a PT that will help but follow your philosophy .
Hi and Welcome!

Yes, please find a PT that has a better approach and understands that we all heal at different time frames, we are not “one size fits all.”

but I feel like all that pain can’t be good .
You're right, it's not good and unfortunately you're the one that has to deal with the pain, not the PT.

Do you know the name of the procedure you had?

Does this sound right?
ORIF (Open reduction and internal fixation) with Tension band wiring (TBW) or cancellous screws, cerclage wiring, partial or total patellectomy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanDoWillDo
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom