Status
Not open for further replies.

edk

senior
Thursday of this week I played a round of golf walking the course. I'm
not a great or particular avid golfer but I enjoy an occasional round. Five
years ago I had to start riding in a golf cart, three years ago I had to stop
playing because of all the grinding in my knee, so post TKR I managed to
play two rounds riding and Thursday was the first time I attempted walking.
Didn't play particularly well, but was pumped anyway because I walked and
felt good afterward.

Later went out for beers with my wifes office (they go out after work every
thursday) and was really pumped. This thirtysomething woman comes up to
me and says "boy you're really in a good mood what happened". I said
I walked a round of golf today. She says "did you play well". I said "no but
I played all 18 walking". She said something like "so whats the big deal" --
instant deflation.

Some day her knee, back hip will hurt...
If you were 20 and just out of a 7 year stint in a wheelchair for what ever reason her reaction would have been the same. Funny though, just yesterday In was thinking about how my husband and I should go out on a "date" and play minature golf or walk around a aggie fair. Things I haven't done in years becuase of the knees and now feel the desire once again to do. You did play well Ed, you played for you. Continue to enjoy life again.

Well, said, Jen!! It's always amazing how clueless some of the younger folks can be (now I definitely sound like an old geezer, huh). Did this gal realize you had just had knee surgery not long ago?

May she grow hemorrhoids like coat sleeves!!! And get a stomach bug.

I had just the opposite reaction at the community pool yesterday. A young lady came up to me to ask about pool hours for laps, off season swimming etc. Then she said her husband told her to talk to me as I was there every day (weekdays).

She is interested in swimming and had competed in high school. Now i am one of the least experienced swimmers at the pool (except for the walkie talkie ladies). I told her we would love to have her there, but I did not know all the answers as i had just started swimming 4 weeks ago and am a runner at heart and for the last 27 years. I then said I was at the pool as my doc had me promise I would not run after my hip replacement.
Well, I got all the sympathy in the world, she said she was so sorry I had to have such a major surgery and how great it was that I was swimming every day.

So , my young person was awesome

Doug, I am using your sentiment on the assistant superintendant who fired me, although I am enjoying unemployment as the school year is ready to start.

Judy

After years of working with teenagers, I think young people are just like all people. There are compassionate, caring folks and self-centered, uncaring folks. Age doesn't seem to be the determiner.

Jenn,
If I see those two ladies at the mall again, I should probably buy them a cup of coffee.
They really inspired me to push really hard with the recovery. Funny how people you never meet can influence you.

I missed the mall lady story, but know what you mean.

I have the 90 year old lady to thank for my recent pool experience.

Years ago I had a guy come up to me and tell me how his trail running improved dramaticaLLY after watching me. He could never figure out how I could make it up the mountain trail running without stopping while he could not.
Finally he told me that he watched me go slow and steady at the same pace. He paced himself and made it.
It was when he was one of the top runners in the annual trail race that he told me.
Made me feel good
Judy

Funny, While I was on the ARC Trainer this a.m., I had to keep telling myself to slow down and keep my R.P.M.'s steady. I was going for time and not speed today. Monday I'll do intervals. I love that machine. No impact at all and it hurts so good!!
No doubt it helps. I climbed about 25 flights of stairs yesterday. Though I'd be dead today but only mildly tight.

Rather reminds me of the occasion about (6 years ago) - we had some new Philipino nurses start work. One of them watched me putting the patient's details into the computer in the operating room and the said "aaww that's nice!"

"What is?" says
I.
"That you're learning to use a computer at your age!"
I asked him how old he was. "Thiry two" he replies.
With as much dignified restraint as I could muster, I informed him that I had been using a computer since before he left school!

We worked together for about 4 more years before I retired and I never, ever let him forget that exchange!

Funny story, Josephine. Sometimes ya gotta give it right back to them, doncha? I love it!!! Hopefully that little exchange taught him a lesson in understanding and tact.

I used to terrorize recruits and rookies. I had a number of sayings whenever one offered an opinion about how something should be done. "I was policing when you were a gleam in your daddy's eye". The others I can't share.

Jenn,
If I see those two ladies at the mall again, I should probably buy them a cup of coffee.
They really inspired me to push really hard with the recovery. Funny how people you never meet can influence you.

True about the influencers. BTW, how is your mom doing Doug?

Talked with her today. She started her out patient therapy. The first day, she had a intern therapist who way over did it bending her leg and made her scream. She is going to talk to the supervisor Monday a.m.
She wants to increase her walking and I told her to have at it, but to walk up and down the street rather than her long circuit. I didn't want her getting a mile from home and giving out.
She is still struggling with my father and his Alzheimer's. He keeps wanting to drive, asks the same question over and over again.
She is also fretting about the tropical system that is aiming for Fla. She went through hurricane Andrew and the thought of another freaks her out.
Never the less, she keeps her sense of humor up.

God bless your Mom, Doug. She is such a strong person! Just caring for your Dad is a handful...but dealing with TKR recovery too. But I am happy to hear she's doing well. Make sure she takes her cell phone when she goes walking....just in case, you know.

Doug,
You and your family are in my prayers. Sounds like ya'll got another
big wind heading your way. Hope it just tuckers out and ya'll just get some
cooler weather with a nice gentle breeze! I am only 2 states above ya, so if there is anything we can do just holler!!!
Tammy

Glad she is moving along. And yes, God bless her with your dad. I wonder is the PT intern has been kicked by a new knee yet?
Tammy how sweet of you.

Tammy,
That is real sweet of you.
Right now we are in the pre hurricane sit and watch mode.
It's too far out to totally kick preparations in gear.
No tomorrow afternoon will be a different story. One way or another we are going to get wind and water. We just don't know how much. If it gets over 90mph, we're out of here. I live on a lot with tons of hickory, oak and pine trees. I don't want to be around if one of those comes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads