THR Cramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollsRoyce

supremo
Country
United States United States
I haven't posted in a while. I had RTHR two years ago in August.... Last month and just two days ago... when I was in bed... I experienced a cramp -- like a charley horse in the back of my right leg..just above the knee and a little below the knee...I had a hard time getting up out of bed. The more I bent my leg (I sleep in a fetal position)..it hurt. I walked around and it went away....I went back to sleep. Now the area feels stiff.. slightly sore. I told my GP about it and he said I could have a nerve test performed... but I am putting it off .. want to see if it happens again... He told me to do stretching exercises. I do exercises and walk .... have no idea why this is happening??

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I wouldn't be so concerned but since it is my right leg that this is happening to I am more concerned. I am not experiencing any pain in the hip area.

You'll find quite a few people experience that - me for one. No idea why it happens but it's dissipating now. Haven't had an episode for a few weeks (touch wood!)

I need to write my article on the latest scientific research into Magnesium for the use of cramps. - oh so many topics I want to write about, so little time ...

For about one and a half years I would get sudden, horrible cramps that could only be relieved by a really hot shower to relax the muscle. These were not the kind of cramps that could be stretched or walked out. I tried everything from lots of water to mustard.
About three months ago a blood test showed that my thyroid had slowed down. I began taking Levothyroxine and have not had the horrible cramps again. I have had the occasional cramp that could be stretched or walked out. On a scale of 1-10 the old cramps were pretty close to a 10.

I get a muscle cramp occasionally. It used to happen more frequently, so I started taking magnesium. Very rare occurrence now.

I'm wondering why your doc suggested a nerve test? I think of cramps as muscle related. Is there something about it that suggests nerve issues instead?

Sharon

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches are a symptom of Hypothyroidism... Sounds like you are on the right track there RR :)

I had knee surgery about 3 years ago and every now and then I get terrible leg cramps as well. I tried all of the all of the above -- magnesium, drinking more gatorade, rubbing it out and nothing worked.
Recently I found this product -- non prescription, non pillform -- called Cramp911 that took them away instantly. And even so, I apply the rub-on formula to my calf muscle before I go to bed and it prevents the cramp from even happening.

If you are experiencing cramps then this may just work for you! I hope you feel better and truly sympathize with your situation, since I too experience the same things! :)

Hi.... I haven't experienced any cramps since I last wrote.. I just do some walking and stretching. :dancy:
:thankyou: for all your inputs. The Dr. suggested the nerve test, I guess , because he wanted to check things out.... but I didn't make an appointment to have it.. My hubby feels that some Drs are "test happy".. you mention something to them and right away they suggest a test. I am sure at times test can prove to be the thing to do...but in this case I am going to hold off unless I experience a lot of cramps.

Happy Holidays!!!! :bells:

I had RTHR 22nd oct 2012 all went well on the day however i had the most horrible cramp attack in my right groin i went into shock, i am due to have LTHR in march 2013 and wonder if any hints to preventing this happening again please:beg: :eeeuw:

Valerie,

I just had an EMG and nerve conduction test 2 weeks ago, and as was mentioned, it's a bit (maybe a lot) uncomfortable.

I had cramps after my RTHR, for a couple of weeks, but mine were in the ankle area, and in the outer shin areas. I'd get them when I was doing the "foot flapping" exercise, especially, but also at night, when I was sleeping. I was told to drink tonic water (for the quinine) and eat bananas, and drink lots of water. I did those, except for the bananas, which I really hate (something about the texture :)), and had them less. When I did get them, we'd use heat, a bag full of rice that we microwaved, on the area, which helped.

Good luck on your upcoming THR.

Jim

shoesister

Magnesium deficiency is associated with cramp. Here in Australia, we can have blood tests to check our Magnesium levels, is this an option for you? This way you can ensure your diet is rich in Magnesium leading up to your surgery.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for the library regarding Magnesium http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.17169/

Cheers

jduncan924 I looked up this product you are talking about. It is a topical homeopathic which contains copper sulfate and....bingo!....magnesium sulfate. Score another win for magnesium. :)

Sharon

poppet thank you for link. I am not sure in britain we have a blood test for magnesium levels but i am going to ask my G P about this and if not will get some magnesium sulphate :ok:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom