THR CRAFTLADY's recovery thread

CRAFTLADY

Country
United States United States
how long should I ice the hip after surgery?

One of the moderators posted to ice for 40 to 60 minute sessions with several sessions throughout the day. For me, whenever I rested, I'd elevate and just keep the ice on. And they recommend using a barrier with the ice so you don't burn your skin. One of the mod's will be able to give you more info. Hope your surgery went well! Get plenty of rest!

Welcome to Recovery. :welome: Congrats on the new hip!
SE Florida (above) answered the question perfectly. Just as she did, I also iced each time I was sitting / resting.
Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. There is an article "ICE" on icing.

Stop back often, we'll be here to support and encourage you as you're healing.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @CRAFTLADY

I kept ice on as much as possible...with a barrier from skin of course.
Never liked to ice anything pre-op...my heating pad was my constant companion.
But after...it was my new best friend:ice:
First days are a bit jarring...so just keep your meds on schedule, short walks to the bathroom and to get blood going and lots of ice are all you need at this point.
Make sure you stay hydrated and consider some stool softeners or other help to stave off constipation common with the pain meds.

Healing hugs coming your way @CRAFTLADY
All temporary!:) :-) (:

Ice as much as you can in these early days. Elevate as well. And wrap a towel or cloth around the ice pack to protect your skin from burns.

When I had TKR ice was my best friend! Now that I’m having THR I’m hoping my ice friend will be the same remedy. Ice ice baby( as the song lyrics go)

Hello @CRAFTLADY ,
I was an avid icer too, as many above. I loved it and if I was sitting or laying down, I was icing. :ice:
Hope you had a good night, I hope today is even better.
Happy healing! :SUNsmile:

I am 6 days post-op and "think" I am improving normally. I cannot do any pt even if I wanted to because not only did I have a Hip-Replacement but I had my abductor muscles reattached. So I will find out on April 4 if all is healing properly. If so, I can start PT. I am wondering if anyone is out there that has experienced this surgery along with the hip? So that we can compare notes. My surgeon says he sees this about 3 times per year.

Happy Thursday!
Hmm, interesting what you described in your last post, I'm not familiar, but hopefully someone will come along who's experienced the same.
It's good to read you feel you're improving normally. May it long continue!
A great evening and weekend to you :)
@CRAFTLADY

I am 9 days post op now and am having continuing nausea issues when I am sitting in a chair. Is this caused by Percuset? Pain? or something else

Yes, Nausea, upset stomach and vomiting can all be side effects of Percocet.
Put a call into the office of your OS today to have your meds adjusted. You don't have to feel like this, you can get help and turn this around. Please call and let us know how it goes.
Wishing you comfort.
@CRAFTLADY

I agree..call.
They may change your pain meds, or prescribe something for nausea.
I know it's hard to do when you are nauseous and have little appetite, but try to make sure you take the meds with Something on your stomach.
Some crackers, toast...meds don't sit well on empty stomach.
Still try to drink, drink.
Sipping ginger ale (with real ginger) helped me.
Sorry you are feeling lousy!

Thank you all. I will put a call in tomorrow. I guess percuset is not a good one for me

I can't take percoset either. :sick: Either ask for a different medication or anti-nausea meds.

My OS prescribed anti-nausea meds with my Percocet and it actually made me more nauseous, go figure! I started back on my generic Zantac (Ranitidine) and did just fine. Crazy!

I can’t take Percocet either...makes me sick and dizzy and I still hurt. My gyn said that there are a lot of women who have that issue.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Please leave us an update, we'd love to hear of your progress.
Best wishes for a great Memorial Day weekend.
@CRAFTLADY

Hope things are starting to level out @CRAFTLADY
Lots of improvement to come!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back