• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Confused and could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes me wonder about how easy it was to get my date changed with the Dr. I am going with. He is chief of surgery and is busy. Jeez. Hope I don't regret not getting somebody who it takes months to get into.

Hi @kvhundley
Going back to your question as to what to look for....

In looking for a physical therapist, stop by and see them in action. Does the same PT work with you the entire hour or do they pass you along to another person after 20 minutes.

What is their modality of treatment: are they gentle, do they use massage, do they listen to their patients?

Are they concerned with doing their best to support you or in measuring ROM?

I did not start PT until 3 weeks in as they had me on non weight bearing. My PT owned a smaller clinic and I had her full attention for the entire hour. She used massage and gentle stretching to gain PT, never ever hurt me, and if I came in complaining of something..... like cramps, or tight feeling or whatever..... she would change the game plan for that day to best help me.

Hope that is helpful! :)

In the grand scheme of things, it may be frustrating (and, sometimes, painful) to wait a little longer--however, considering how long you will live with the implant----what is a little extra time to wait? Again---if you have that gut feeling that this is the surgeon for you---and you have that "trust" factor----that is what matters most.

In order to get my date early in the summer I called in January. They penciled me in even before I had the official "go ahead" appointment with the OS since he had told me after my first knee to let him know when I was ready.

A week and a half from my TLKR and my Achilles on my good leg may be torn. MRI tomorrow. OS says if it is torn the surgery will have to be postponed.

Confused and could use some help
@kvhundley, sure hope it's not torn. Keep us posted. We care.

Thoughts and prayer for good results from your MRI on the Achilles!

Please let us know how things are going and what is going on with your Achilles and upcoming TKR.

@referee54 thanks! Achilles was fine. Had my last show this past weekend. Surgery is at 1pm on Friday. Trying to get everything done including packing what I will need.

That is great news! Getting a new knee for Christmas---Santa's elves are busy at the North Pole right now making it for you---hope you are not on the "naughty list"! lol! A lump of coal for a TKR!

I would love to hear about pros and cons of rehab vs home. I have not decided yet. The only reason I am considering rehab is that I feel like I will have more therapy than at home and might get a little further in my recovery that way. The drawback is the insurance will kick me out of the hospital on day 2 if I choose rehab, so I am wondering if 3-4 days in the hospital is better or 4-5 days in a rehab facility. I'd love to hear peoples experiences with rehab. Thanks!

I was anxious to go home so I don't know what rehab would be like. You could try it and check out early if you don't get good care. Does rehab have a goal for how soon they will answer a call button? I felt neglected in the hospital so was not wanting to get into another institutional setting.

Of course it depends on what support you have at home. Can someone be with you all the time for a few days? I was left alone for a couple of hours at 2 days home from the hospital and there were some issues that made it no fun.

PT, OT and RN's came to the house several times a week and did a good job of monitoring me. Let us know what you decide.

I would love to hear about pros and cons of rehab vs home.
I had a BTKR, and my OS's protocol was pretty much set, so I went to the rehab floor of the same hospital where I had my surgery. I am very glad that I did this.

The only reason I am considering rehab is that I feel like I will have more therapy than at home and might get a little further in my recovery that way.
Nope---that is not really going to happen. Remember, rehab/recovery is really like a marathon or an ultra-marathon---it is a very slow and long process.

Your first couple of days/weeks are going to be spent doing gentle exercises and stretches. The rehab facility had me go to PT twice a day (and OT twice a day, too) and I did not get any further down that recovery road.

I just went to visit the one in town. Ummm no way. One more to see that is apparently much newer. My son is home from college but I never know what his plans are. My husband could, at best, come by twice a day to check on me. I think once I see this other place I will know

My wife came to see me after work for about an hour or so. Remember, those early days of recovery are spent in PT/OT or sleeping----and you will sleep a lot.

If your husband wants to be there more often, no problem---but I had PT and OT in the morning and in the afternoon, and the rest of the time I spent with my knees elevated, inspecting the insides of my eyelids.:snork:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I am considering rehab is that I feel like I will have more therapy than at home and might get a little further in my recovery that way.

Please get rid of that idea. In the early days, you should be spending most of your time resting, icing, elevating and taking your pain medication on a regular schedule.

You can't work at your knee to make it heal faster. Your knee will not bend properly until the swelling is gone, so your main focus should be on reducing that swelling. More therapy will not equal faster recovery.

My surgeon does not allow his patients to have any PT at all in the first 4 weeks, apart from doing a few, simple exercises. His patients do well and he has a very low incidence of post-op manipulations.

Please get rid of that idea. In the early days, you should be spending most of your time resting, icing, elevating and taking your pain medication on a regular schedule.

You can't work at your knee to make it heal faster. Your knee will not bend properly until the swelling is gone, so your main focus should be on reducing that swelling. More therapy will not equal faster recovery.
:iagree:

@Celle i appreciate the reminder! It is confusing however because my OS tells me that the way to a successful recovery does include some pain and discomfort, so I am going to listen what my body tells me. I won't let anyone do anything to me that hurts, but at the same time I do feel like some pain is going to be a part of the healing process. Having said that, I am not going to rehab. They were scary places. One woman came up to me and said " don't even think about coming here. You will be miserable" right in the middle of my tour. I am going to trust my body to know when to push and when not to. This forum has prepared me for all sorts of possible obstacles and invaluable information and I am so glad I found it!

There will be some pain and discomfort, because you are having a a major operation, but it should decrease as the days go by. The pain should be controlled by the use of appropriate medication.

The important thing is not to let anyone cause you more pain, especially during therapy. Don't allow anyone to tell you that you "must push through the pain".

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties