• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Conformis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherey

Country
United States United States
Has anyone had bad or less than satisfactory results? I am leaning that way and have a very good surgeon according to medicare data and he uses the Conformis System

I think that the majority of knees out there on the market work well for patients. There are many people here who have used the conformis system and some of them swear by its results.

@Cherey ---I moved your thread to the Pre-Op section of the forum as you did not have your surgery yet---and by moving here, it will get answered by many people.

People who have had a TKR or a BTKR or even a PKR will routinely visit the Pre-Op threads and offer their help and advice.

I had a ConforMIS iUni partial replacement four years ago. About a year later I tore away the main arch ligament in the foot, and that threw the knee and leg out of alignment. I then attempted to lift a 100 lb weight at a cross angle on that leg and popped out what was left of the meniscus in that knee. The doc said that 100 lbs added to all of my body weight at an off angle on that misaligned knee was just too much for a partial. In Oct we did a revision to a total, but not a ConforMIS; because ConforMIS is not yet approved for Revisions..

I am now 12 days out from a total replacement of the other knee, and it is a ConforMIS iTotal CR. Time will tell; but so far, so good.

Cherey, it makes no odds what kind of knee you have IMO. What counts big time is the expertise of the surgeon, I would (I did!) expend all my efforts to find the very best possible.

Roy, how did you go about finding the best surgeon? I live in Wales and our surgeons are not listed on the National Joint Registry, so I cannot find out his stats there. Did you just base your decision on the number of knee replacements a surgeon has done or on other criteria? I'm having my op in St Josephs Newport, it's got an excellent reputation especially for orthopaedics and attracts the best surgeons, I also felt confident and comfortable with my OS. Any thoughts appreciated.

1st, asked my general practice doctor; I was lucky being insured, so I had full choice in the matter. Confirmed the GP's recommendation by going to the hospital and wandering about; on being challenged said 'I may be coming here for knee surgery and wanted to see the place. Dr Jekyll is proposed, do you know him?' and I'd get a full briefing. The nurses know who's best. That was for microsurgery back in '95.

When BTKR was coming up I found two eminent guys by web search and consulted with them. Didn't like 'em much and went back to my original surgeon. Great result in the end.

I'd go for someone who does only knees. That eliminates a good few.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my original OS told me that I needed a BTKR, I asked him if he could do it, he told me that he did not perform TKR's or BTKR's. I asked him, if he were to need a TKR, whom we he choose? I figured that an OS who absolutely know which OS he would want cutting and sawing him!

He gave me the name of the OS that he would want---I made an appointment and talked with him---and he did an awesome job on my BTKR.

Hi @Cherey ,
I have two ConforMis knees and I'm very happy with them.
I am 8 weeks postop from my second and will be returning to work in a week.
Both recoveries were relatively easy and uneventful.
My surgeon is highly respected and does a high volume of knee replacements.
Best of luck to you, whatever you choose!

I have two ConforMis knees and I'm very happy with them.
Both recoveries were relatively easy and uneventful.
Delighted as I am that you are happy with your outcome, Kaw, I would nevertheless categorically state that neither of these declarations are anything to do with the actual device at all! Both were down to your excellent choice of surgeon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sinister17
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom