• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Choosing anesthesia type/your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said to the Anaethetist in the pre-op area, knowing I was having a spinal with a light GA...

'I don't want to hear anything, smell anything or see anything'... He laughed and said 'no problem'...

All went to a perfect surgery, excellent result....

Hubby on the other hand still hasn't recovered!!!

Thank YOU for asking!! I'm at the same stage of discovery, as my surgery is still a couple of months away. Great responses, very helpful!

I have been given the option for a General for a few reasons

1. I like Generals and prefer to be totally out
2. I am a hopeless wimp when it comes to needles/spinals etc
3. I am scared witless of the whole operation thing anyway.

Graham, having sat in with scores of patients having spinals over the years, I always said I would never have one - that they'd have to catch me first! But when it came to it, I complied with the anaesthetist and it wasn't anything like as horrible as I'd always imagined. Teeny little stick in the skin on your back and the tiniest sting as the local anaesthetic goes in but that lasts about 2 seconds and it's done. Not even as bad as at the dentist. After that you feel nothing. Worst bit is when they wipe cold antiseptic on your back. Then they are clearing everything away and they telling you to lie down. You are out for the count before your head hits the pillow as the anaesthetist is already running the knock-out drops into the IV. Next thing you know, you are in recovery, all lovely and warm and comfy with people fussing round you. Truly, it's not a problem. You are not awake with a spinal though some idiots ask to be!

But with a general, sure you get knock out but you wake up in pain and that is not nice.

Graham,
I had a spinal with GA also. Remember sitting up talking with the anaesthesist as the nurse was running a wipe over me. Suddenly, a little pinch and I don't even remember hitting the table. (Dr and nurse had my back!) Didn't even remember the recovery room. When I awoke in my room, totally painfree and chatting away. Didn't feel a thing until the next day. Good luck and get tons of info going in.
Dee

Graham, having sat in with scores of patients having spinals over the years, I always said I would never have one - that they'd have to catch me first! But when it came to it, I complied with the anaesthetist and it wasn't anything like as horrible as I'd always imagined. Teeny little stick in the skin on your back and the tiniest sting as the local anaesthetic goes in but that lasts about 2 seconds and it's done. Not even as bad as at the dentist. After that you feel nothing. Worst bit is when they wipe cold antiseptic on your back. Then they are clearing everything away and they telling you to lie down. You are out for the count before your head hits the pillow as the anaesthetist is already running the knock-out drops into the IV. Next thing you know, you are in recovery, all lovely and warm and comfy with people fussing round you. Truly, it's not a problem. You are not awake with a spinal though some idiots ask to be!

But with a general, sure you get knock out but you wake up in pain and that is not nice.

I sure you're absolutely right. It's just that I am so scared of it. :cry:

I said to the Anaethetist in the pre-op area...

'I don't want to hear anything, smell anything or see anything'... He laughed and said 'no problem'...

I bet the anesthesiologists wish they had a dollar for every time they hear this comment!!

Graham, maybe you can get something like valium to take in the days leading up to surgery to help with the anxiety. You can be scared and still go through with this.

My spinal was pretty painless and I did not see any needles... I was totally OUT, not even any dreams.

Wishing you a nice, restful sleep at your surgery, :sleepz:
Cardie

But Navy - that's the point - you are out like a light even with a spinal! I know I was. I don't even remember lying down!

I had a spinal per my request. Had it before a couple of years ago with another surgery and so wanted it again. The only thing that I remember is someone asking me to lie on my side and I felt something cold or whatever on a spot in my back and the next thing I was in my room recuperating. They already had given me something to make me drowsy in the pre-op area.

I have had general before and would never go into surgery with it again. I have asthma and had trouble with it when waking up.

But again everyone is different and has different likes and wishes.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Bea

All i care about is i remember nothing , hear nothing and feel nothing and see nothing otherwise im going to be one angry irishman and of course a scared one LOL..i have come to far to go back i am looking forward to recoverying from this awful pain , although todays been a pretty good day, i didnt need to take any pain relievers , although that could change at any moment.

Spinal, absolutely. And I would avoid Versed, as it scrambled my brain alright. For several months. With a spinal I woke up instantly awake in the recovery room, completely oriented, feeling comfortable, no confusion, no nausea. It could not have gone better. I wanted general at first but was convinced to try spinal and I am glad I did. I actually wanted to be awake during the surgery and even have a mirror so I could watch but that did not happen!

It is rare, but I had a problem with cognitive dysfunction for several months after it was used during my colonoscopy 6 years ago. I completely lost the ability to do logic problems. Even simple ones. I would get so frustrated that I could not even follow a simple electrical circuit diagram. I was so frightened that I was experiencing onset of early dementia, it was so bad. My VA therapist asked me if I wanted to take a series of tests to see if that was the case but I was afraid to. Over time, my logic abilities came back, slowly. Versed is a wonderful, common drug with few side effects, but I will never allow it to be used on me again. Your mileage might vary!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is there a stick or another thread with info. on anesthesia? I didn't know I might have to make my own choice and I'd like to know more. Thanks.

I don't want to hijack either, but I guess I will. :wink1: Has anyone done this who had both done at the same time?

I wanted the spinal and everyone said my doc always did it that way, but when I went for my preop stuff, all of them said, "huh, you're getting general, usually Dr. Jones does spinal."

So, anyone have a comment on that (or if there is more information somewhere else on the site?) Thanks!

My experience with a general last year was only positive. I was out before I even left the pre-op area. I have no memory of the recovery room. Woke up in my room, ready for a good lunch.

That said, after reading all the positive opinions about a spinal, I want to keep an open mind for my next surgery in July. Are there any negatives to a spinal? Isn't it a spinal where you have to remain lying down for a while to avoid a headache? Or am I thinking of something else?

Sharon

Here is the BoneSmart Library article on anesthetics.

A general can sometimes cause nausea afterwards and it may take a bit more time to wake up.

Usually the decision regarding what to use is made with your medical team. Some doctors have stronger feelings than others about what they want to do.

I didn't have general and it was all ok. Got to the operating theater, got on the table into a sitting position, there was a nurse who was standing on the side and asked me to lean into her. I remember saying "so, you get to hug people all day? That's awesome." Next thing I knew I was waking up. :thumb:

I love this thread -- it sort of sounds like one can't go wrong either way, but I am leaning toward spinal/twilight. Thanks, everyone, for all the cool stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks