Ceramic on Ceramic Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxybrown

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and this site, but it looks like a great place for support and information! After about three years of pain, I was diagnosed with OA in my left hip in November of 2010 at the age of 43. Anyway, my osteoarthritis is severe and I'm going to go ahead and do hip replacement, though I think I'm going to wait until April '13 to have the surgery. I've met with one surgeon already who I quite liked--he seems to know his stuff. He recommended that I go with ceramic on ceramic for the replacement and I tend to agree with him based on what I've researched. I just have one fear that I'm hoping those of you on here who have gone with ceramic on ceramic replacement parts may speak to: have you experienced squeaking with your new joint??? I am NOT thrilled about the possibility of squeaking when I move!! :cry:The surgeon reassured me that this really would probably not occur, but I'm terrified that it might! So I'm asking those of you who have opted for ceramic on ceramic what your experience has been. Are you happy? Are you squeaky when you walk?!!? (Good God!!!)

Also, I run 5K four times a week and am wondering if those of you with ceramic on ceramic have had any problem with running after your surgery? I really don't want to give up running!

Thanks in advance for your replies!! :)

Peace out,

Foxy

Hi Foxy

Welcome to BoneSmart, great that you have joined us. Have you checked out the extensive library we have, there are articles there referring to noise issues.

I understand that it is a low percentage of patients who experience this and it often goes away ( if, and I stress if! ) it occurs. I have ceramic on cross linked polyethylene so not able to comment specifically.

Regarding the running, we have a member Z15; who is a runner, you might want to check out his thread. He has also written a recent thread about getting back into one's chosen activity.

Once again, welcome to BS :)

Well Foxy

This may be a debate, both my hips are metal on plastic or so my last OS advised me and gaurenteed they were the best by far' but everyone has their own opinion. What you have been offered may suit your athletic activities.

Billy

Foxy,

I'm now 5 weeks post-op having been given a ceramic on ceramic THR. I'm an Army Officer (until I recover....but that's a different story!) so due to my age and activity levels was given the same advice as you.

I'm still a considerable way off being able to run, but I've had absolutely zero indication of the joint squeaking and it wasn't something my surgeon even raised as a potential concern.

Longevity of the implant and the ability to return to being active were key drivers for me, as they are for you, so I think it's pretty much a no-brainer taking the ceramic option. As someone with an engineering background, the material science is rather straightforward.........if you're going to be active, a ceramic on ceramic implant will wear out far less quickly than the other options (currently!) available.

Good luck with everything!

Andy

Foxy,

Glad to hear you can still run. Besides the pain AFTER running (not during) my surgeon said that my socket was deteriorated enough that I was advised not to do any impact sports on my worn out hip. I was fortunate that my surgeon is ok with some running after the THR. MANY are not.

Like Sandy said...my situation does sound similar to yours and I am happy with my progress and running ( i have ceramic on ceramic)

Here is my thread : https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/zs-postop-thread.12840/ (keep this handy if you struggle with insomnia...)

And here is my recent summary about running: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...og-or-do-some-long-lost-activity-again.15454/

I'm really glad you found this forum...it is a great group of people.

Z

Hey,

Thanks to all of you who've answered my question!! It's MUCH appreciated!! :thankyou:

Andy097: Good to hear you're recovering well and not squeaking!! I look forward to reading more on your recovery as you progress. Yes, I agree that ceramic on ceramic does seem the way to go considering my age and activity level. I just don't want to make a decision that I end up regretting later and let me tell ya, I'd regret coming out with a squeak!! (Although from what I've been reading, this squeaking sometimes shows up quite a while post surgery, like 1.5 - 3 years!) But thanks for your post because it's reassured me somewhat! :)

Z15: Thanks so much for the link to your threads. I am going to go and read ALL of it!! I actually haven't run in almost 5 months because I've just avoided the gym completely due to pain. But I have just started back (it was ridiculous not go for so long!!) and just have to suck up the pain. I'm not going to run again until I've been back at my weight training routine for at least two weeks--going to ease in slowly. And I'll run if I can handle the pain. You're so right, the pain isn't during the run (except for a couple occasions where I actually had to stop because I just couldn't hack it), it's AFTER the run. Weight bearing is what becomes the issue for me. So my running has been sporadic at best. I typically run for a while, then when I can't handle the pain, I stop for a couple weeks and then resume again. I am looking forward to being pain free after this operation. I'm waiting until April because I have two trips planned, one at Christmas and the second in March, and don't want to risk doing it after the first and not being fully recovered for the second. Again, thanks for your answer, congrats on your progress and I can't wait to read all about you! :)

Peace out,

Foxy (Michelle)

Hi Foxy,

I also was given ceramic on ceramic for the wear factor. My OS said there will be no squeaking if it is put in correctly. (And true, I have no squeaking...in fact I had horrible sounds sounds coming out of my hip joint before THR!)

Just one thing I want to comment on...that you said you just need to "suck up the pain". They may not be such a good idea. Don;t damage your body. Are you taking any OTC drugs to help you? Perhaps you can find some more gentle exercises as you wait for your operation, which is quite far off. Will you be able to enjoy your traveling with your hip pain?

Good luck and it is great you are starting your research early: knowledege is power!

Warm regards,
Elle

Hi Foxy

Read your last post about running and not being to attend the gym for the past 5 months, unsure if this will be of any help but on the run up to my first hip replacement the physio advised me to go to a swimming pool and walk and run in the pool you are weightless and don't fell the pain.

Billy

Elle and Billy: Thanks for your answers!! Elle, it's making me feel much better to hear from people with ceramic on ceramic parts who are doing so well and not squeaking! As for "sucking up the pain", what I mean is that I can't be as inactive as I have been for the past little while. There is definitely less pain to deal with when I'm not in the gym, but I can't let that rule me. My doctors know I run and they haven't forbidden me from doing it (though they recommend I use the elliptical machine instead), but I do listen to my body. If running causes me too much pain, I stop. I'd just like to keep up with my running as much as possible before I have this surgery. I could go ahead and have it now, but I'm choosing to wait until after I go on a couple of vacations I have planned. I don't want to do it in January after the first trip at Christmas and risk having to use a cane when I go to Cancun in March!!! :yikes: My surgery is going to be the traditional type and I don't anticipate recovering as quickly as some I'm reading about on here who have had a MIS procedure (as far as I know there is only one doctor in Ontario who does a MIS and he's in Ottawa and I'm in Toronto). But I AM looking forward to having it done and not having to deal with this pain anymore!!! I will be careful, though, not to do any damage to myself by doing things that my hip can't handle. I may at some point have to resort to the pool (or the elliptical), Billy!

Peace out,

Foxy

Foxy,

just re-read your last post. One piece of advice. The pool should be FAR from a last "resort" after surgery. If you have access to a pool you can do some amazing rehab in the water, long before you can do comparable things on land. I only had one opportunity but saw the potential and regret that I did not have a situation that I could get in the water 2 -4 times a week...I just did not have the facilities or coverage to allow it.

And btw...I am not talking about swimming, but specific stretching and strengthening that goes SO much better and is MORE effective with water resistance...

(my favorite was ..wearing a waist belt, upright in the water, chest and shoulders out of the water. Do a running motion to propel you around the pool...like a dog paddle (sort of) with your legs. They had to stop me cuz it felt SOOOO GOOD!)

Just FYI,

Z

Hi Foxy, welcome to BoneSmart. So glad you joined us!

Please don't worry too much about what implant your OS recommends. He/she will use what they are most comfortable (and more importantly) experienced with using given your own medical situation and level of activity. I have ceramic on poly and have absolutely no problem with noise. My hip pre-op was very noisy.

We have many members who have gone on to very active lives following THR. Check out this thread

Stories of amazing hip recoveries.

Some real input from other hippies. Hope your wait is not too painful. That can be the worst part!

Z15: Thanks for the tip about the pool. I'm not one who's much for going in the water, but if it's good rehab, I just may do it! I belong to a gym and can go to a location where they have a pool. Thanks! :)

Jaycey: Thanks for your post. After reading many of the stories from people on here, I'm relaxing now about the noise situation. Seems most people are doing fine with respect to the noise, even those with ceramic on ceramic implants. I'm choosing to wait until April to have this done, but I can do it earlier if my situation worsens. My pain isn't great but it's definitely bearable at this point (due in large part to the fact that I'm just doing weights at the gym and not running right now). The surgeon I saw recommended I go ahead and do the surgery after my trip at Christmas, but I'm waiting because I don't want to risk not being fully recovered for my trip in March! Don't want to head to Cancun with a cane--not a cool look on the dancefloor!! :yikes:

If anyone else has reports about how they're doing with their ceramic on ceramic replacement parts, please feel free to send them along! It really does sound like they are the best option for me and I really appreciate the input! Thanks tons! :)

Peace out,

Foxy

In the early days of ceramics there was a big problem with shattering, noises and squeaking in particular but no longer. The ceramic structure has been redesigned or refashioned (Andy probably knows the terminology better!) so it is no longer prone to those issues. So stop worrying about it!

HI Foxy, another ceramic on ceramic success story here ....or two if you count the hips separately...the best thing I ever did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member