Hip Resurfacing Birmingham Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is one of the pictures, it seems I cap out when I go to the second picture of my knee/thigh (nothing obscene, my swelling has not been around the hip!). My main issue with the swelling was that it hurt (the swelling alone not the hip, and with my pain killer battles it doesn't seem to help), and it limited my movement so much.The pain was my main concern, as if it was my disease and I left it to its own machinations it could go on for weeks or stop in hours. The main problem area is to the right of the knee (the inside of the knee) which started to yellow before I took my enbrel. Now that I took my shot, the swelling has been cut by about 40% but that one spot near my knee has gotten worse and yellowed even more, it looks like a big bruise now and hurts like hell (painkillers don't completely stop it). I'm not sure what that is, I figure it has something to do with the blood thinners, I will be discussing it with my nurse today when she comes (any minute now).

Its hard to tell by shear size in the picture, but the foot has about twice the height of the other foot (a big indicator is that the left foot has folds on top where the skin is pulled taut).

Attachments

• 461091_10100192132137766_1209441161_o.jpg
    461091_10100192132137766_1209441161_o.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 196
This one is easier to tell the swelling I was having.

Attachments

• 2013-05-21 01.14.19.jpg
    2013-05-21 01.14.19.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 178
Today was a mixed day, my PT again said I am doing an amazing job and really progressing. I then found out my INR is way too high (4) and that it has caused this bruising on my leg that hurts so much. I also feel like I'm taking a huge step back with my pain, I am dropping down to 5 hours every 2 pills again with pain coming back in only 3 hours after. I have enough to make it to tuesday, which is when I'll need to call you doctor for more. How long was everyone on their pain control? I'm a little paranoid about asking for more, so it would be reassuring. I just wish the pain would improve like the PT does, I feel like the more work I put into it, the better and better it gets, and over time I am improving so much, but the pain is just knocking me for a loop. Its really getting in the way and I'm afraid its going to hamper my PT now.

It is such early days/weeks AB, are you elevating and using ice packs on the swelling?

The bruising can take quite some time to appear over large areas.

Keep up with your prescribed pain med protocol, it is so important to take your meds on time to prevent 'break through pain'. Don't be worried about ringing your Dr, they are aware that you have had major surgery and will need pain cover for quite some time.. it is major surgery :)

Thanks, today the swelling is at about 20% of the image above. It is 2 days after enbrel and this is the type of progression I usually get when the enbrel fights it back into submission.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this as well, but while my doctors never mentioned a restriction on sleeping position my PT did. When they originally went through the stretch where you lie on your stomach (supposedly just lying on the stomach stretches something) I asked if I could sleep that way (he mentioned patients taking naps this way, and I am a stomach sleeper) but he said he "didn't recommend it". Last night (after 2 sleepless nights) I gave up and slept on my stomach (which also gave me the chance to raise my leg well above heart level since I wasn't overstretching the knee while doing it) and it was lovely. Its a little more of a production getting in and out of bed (as you need the room to roll over again) but I slept a whole lot better, and it might have helped with the swelling.

Ok, so I've been progressing great in PT, but again we run into the same issue. I was given a seven day supply of pain killers, but I can't get a refill until the 9th day.... I just don't understand what the hell I'm supposed to be doing here, I've had major major surgery. Run out tomorrow morning, fun times ahead.

I pushed it tonight to 10 hours instead of 6 hours, I managed to grab the bottle before collapsing on the couch. I reached an 8-9, and I can't seem to get it below a 4-5 again (after meds I'm at a 0-2 for 2-3 hours usually). I honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to get out of bed when I run out. Barely made my second (only one today by myself) PT session, I don't think I'll be able to pull off any when my drugs run out. I have no idea what I'm going to do, I'm hoping the prescription was just a rough estimate they give because they have to call the doctor's office (So they give a really big time for that to get back when it could be shorter). Here's hoping.....

I feel like the more work I put into it, the better and better it gets, and over time I am improving so much, but the pain is just knocking me for a loop. Its really getting in the way and I'm afraid its going to hamper my PT now.

AlbinoRaven, you are just a shade over two weeks out from surgery. You naturally have a lot of post-op pain, and I am wondering if the PT you are doing is just making it worse. Your first task is to get the pain back under control. Then you have to deal with your doctor's office and get clear with them about what you need and what your insurance will cover, and how to make that happen. Then....you can deal with PT. But a reasonable amount. How much time are you putting into PT, and what exercises are you doing? Did your doctor tell you to do PT, and if so....did he indicate to the therapist what he wanted the therapist to do?

Your recovery is a long on-going process. It won't be ruined if you postpone PT. It could be ruined if you push too much PT too soon. I don't know if that is what you are doing, but I am concerned both about your being under-medicated and overly active.

Sharon

I do PT twice a day (if PT is here I include that in the count), at that point we go through all my exercises ( 3 standing moving my leg every which way, one sitting, and 4 lying down). My PT also likes me to walk around (without weight bearing on my leg) and sometimes do exercises on my non-operative leg. These look like standard exercises they give everyone. Today we did a flight of 12 stairs and I repeated them when I did my own because tomorrow I have to go to a doctor's appointment and will have to be ready (and stairs aren't difficult). My doctor just told me to listen to PT.

I didn't think I was overdoing it, I've been very careful because I have a tendency to overdue it more than not do enough. I'd say total I put 1.5-2 hours a day into PT by going through slowly each exercise and this includes one exercise where I just lay on my stomach (stretching a muscle).

It all sounds pretty reasonable. So you've got to get adequate pain meds. I don't know how to advise you.....everyone's situation with their doctors, and their insurance, is so different. There has to be someone...a point person...who can help you address this. A nurse...physician's assistant....someone at your insurance company...a different doctor....

Good luck with this.

Sharon

I have now hit 9 weeks out! While my leg is getting better every week (saturday-monday are days that see a real jump in having less pain and more mobility) I feel like everything else in life is crashing down on me. My work was left completely uncovered and I am finally recovering, but there are now news of layoffs due to the sequester, luckily my section still managed to make month last quarter. I have started looking for work back where my family lives in MA (I live in TX) for jobs like my original job I was hired for (after a year I was transfered to a job they can't keep anyone in because its a terrible position with no management support). With a little luck I can move back home!

I think I might be able to start walking without a support at all soon! Which is very exciting but I am still keeping an eye out for doing too much and breaking that femoral neck. I started working out my arms again, and I've been dieting to keep the weight off (lost 20 lbs 2 weeks after surgery).

But in terrible news, my (now) ex-girlfriend (together 18 months) couldn't handle all of the staying inside more, not walking around places as much, and having less energy starting before surgery and following surgery. She pushed me over and over again to get me to break up with her when all I thought was that we were trying to support each other and that it was fixable (the entire process pushing me into a corner and pressing my limits). My entire recovery period she was either 1. at work 2. out with friends (and I found out "friends" is code word for "Alexander") or 3. sulking in the bedroom (me hobbling back and forth to talk with her, but she deciding to switch rooms whenever I did).

So she finally moved out and I am super depressed, nothing at work is working right, I have few friends down here, none close enough to really talk to, and now I'm a single cripple (women will be all over me), while she is snuggling at home with Alexander, without a care in the world. On top of which the shop she is a cashier at has the only good tournaments in this godforsaken city for my major hobby, which I'm not willing to give up after devoting 2 years and a large amount of money I won't even think about to playing there constantly.

Also, while I was in my hospital bed my mother tried to manipulate the situations as much as possible (Being my exes ride at the time to the hospital) to exclude my ex and make my life just that much harder ( criticisms flew everywhere, as she is a bipolar schizophrenic with a borderline personality disorder, I did not escape unharmed).

So I am just loving life and think that maybe with my next hip surgery I'm going to go hundreds of miles away where no one can reach me and I can sit pleasantly alone without everyone trying to torture me to death in every possible way.

I don't regret the surgery, but I sure regret these people...

Its nice to get that out there, I have no idea what to do with myself now....God I hope my right hip doesn't get any worse, its way too soon for a repeat performance.

Raven

Aw AlbinoRaven...that's a lot of stuff to have on your plate right now. I'm so sorry to hear it.

I'm not going to offer you any platitudes, it really sucks. And right now it must seem like way too much when you're still feeling so vulnerable. But I can tell you from experience that your life is about to improve. Nine weeks is nothing. Wait until you are at 4-5 months, it will be a completely different story.

My hip history has taught me that physical challenges, surgeries and yo-yo recovery journeys tend to bring out inner strength and courage we didn't know we had. It also teaches us who and what really matters to us going forward. Anyone who is at our side for the good times and gone with the bad, is absolutely no loss. Alexander, whoever he is, is getting quite the prize. You deserve, and I predict will soon have, much, much better.

It will help if you continue to concentrate on yourself. A big weight loss so soon? That's fantastic. You are young and getting physically fitter and emotionally stronger by the day. You will survive all your challenges and they will lead to greater things. If you have to do the other hip, it will be a piece of cake. Trust me, the best part of your life is yet to come. Wishing you great things, Vida.

bummer 3.jpg
So sorry for all the personal problems you've been going through.

laugh to keep from crying.jpg
And although at the moment it doesn't seem so, in time things WILL get better.
hug, big 1.gif

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We really really do care.
A1.jpg

Hi all! 11 weeks out now. I saw my doctor 3-4 weeks ago, and we have a follow-up in November. I am still cane bound out and about, but when I'm in my apartment I don't use it. The limp is becoming less and less severe, but he told me that until its completely gone I shouldn't get off the cane for long distances. He also said that I should focus on not limping because if I go too far too fast the limp becomes permanent. I wasn't sure if I should take that with a grain of salt or not, I have a huge problem trusting doctors (for very good reasons).

I couldn't find me mentioning it here, but I was still lost on what caused my AVN. My current surgeon is convinced all the scans point toward alcoholism (that my friends and family believe is nonexistent), as the damage was sectional and not widespread. I was slightly confused as I have heard nothing about being able to read scans like that (all my medical article searches found nothing). I also found out a few weeks ago that growing up my pedatrician gave me prednisone for about 6-8 years growing up. I don't remember it too much, but it makes a large amount of sense. Right around the age I was off prednisone is when my fevers and stomach pain started. Now we know my disease was under treatment from the prednisone (all they knew was that my asthma cleared up under it) and it started kicking up.

I am still down the weight, I am at 160 now, down from 195. 3 years ago before starting enbrel I was 230. I try to accept that this will stick around but I hear a lot about how everyone loses weight after the replacement but gain it all back. I keep a stricter diet than I used to, especially since I'm not running. I lift weights with my arms, and I swim at my apartment. I've been on travel for work so I tried the elliptical twice on my travels. I'm not sure if its a good idea, I feel some pain, but the next day I get a lot stiffer for at least half the day. Maybe its what I need, I have issues pushing myself though, I enjoy it too much (being a runner I liked to try to shave minutes off whenever I could), I feel I've been stuck in a hospital bed too much in my short life.

Not sure what to do, I definitely want to get back into being physically fit again. I've had too many days stuck in bed from fevers and arthritis, its relieving to feel that quiet soreness from a good day. The feeling of having the ability to do so much more than I used to be is amazing too. I miss running a lot, I have yet to find a good substitute. I was considering taking but Kendo, I enjoyed the couple times I got to practice it, and I've been meaning to start for years (equipment can be expensive) but I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

I have 16 days before a singles mixing event, and I really don't want to be on a cane at that point. I'm not sure what is going to play out, I'm over my ex but I just can't seem to get out there because I'm so embarrassed of my disability.

I went on travel for work, we had to audit a nuclear plant in New York, while I live in Texas. My parents live in MA and my grandparents were visiting from NJ so I took a flight out to see them. The flying (carrying around a 50 pound roller bag, even just to the counter for check in, carrying around my laptop bag) was rough, all the walking can get hard (they even made me walk from terminal to terminal when my flight was changed around due to delays), the hotel beds are not comfortable at all (I wake up in a lot of pain). Luckily they decided I could not go in the plant (was a little disappointing, walkdowns can be very interesting) all the crawling under cable trays, going up and down ladders and stairs, and hiking around for 5 hours would not have gone well. Its a lot easier at my parents, but my diet is not doing well! I'm sure once I get back I can reset myself to a much more reasonable diet, especially after eating out for a week and a half (I left a lot of leftovers in my hotel room).

I was able to apply to a few positions up here, my boss basically gave me 6 months to "improve". Which is mostly because when I was placed in the new section I had to revamp the whole thing and refused to sign any reports from tests that were not up to the standard we were claiming to test to. He's a business man so he only understands "it was working until he got there" and by "working" I found they just did not do any repairs or updates for the last 6 years to save money. Its extremely disappointing and I had to really push to get the reforms we needed. Of course now its running better and I get transferred back to my old position. We work on contract work and I have to rebuild my business contacts for a third time. I'm kind of sick of working as a Fire Protection Engineer in private industry, the positions I am looking at are more public sector, I am too geared toward safety and doing things right to worry about a bottom line all the time. I refuse to compromise my word as an engineer.

Things are looking up, I could use to feel like I'm less in a transition. My right hip seems to be getting worse at a very very slow speed, my little brother is getting married next June and I really want to be up to snuff at that time. I'm not sure if I'll need another replacement before that (I have enough vacation and sick hours starting February), if I can convince my doctor that I need one (as I seem to have to fight for anything to be done), or if I'll be cane bound on the OTHER side at the damn wedding. Too much is in flux...

Raven

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks
Back