TKR Bionic LucyBelle version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyBelle

Country
United States United States
Well, last Monday, the 8th, I had my right tkr. It was not a moment too soon.

I was doing really well with therapy on the left knee, but after a few weeks it became very discouraging because of the difference in the two leg lengths. Then about mid September, or three weeks before the second surgery, I began having hip and back pain. Again I think it was due to the leg difference. No matter how much I fiddled with heel lifts for the shorter leg, I could never get things just right. The last week before my second surgery was pretty painful and I had trouble sleeping at night due to the hip/back pain as well as pain in the bad leg. Plus, I took a plane trip and that was not much fun. I think the plane terminals at Salt Lake were about five miles apart. It was a long walk with only 50 minutes between flights. I was a mess. *sigh*

So.....I was not at all afraid of the surgery and went in that morning with a smile on my face and a skip in my soul. LOL
It all worked out wonderfully. I can't even begin to say how happy I was the first time I stood up post op and my legs were straight and the same length. It was magical.
This time the harpist stayed quite a bit longer, which was a treat. I believe at the time there were only ten patients in the hospital, so she probably had more time.
The staff at the hospital were wonderful both times, and I have no complaints. Except for one...
I did have the chance to meet Nurse Ratched (from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest),:yikes: or at least her very close cousin. I never would have guessed that such a soulless medical professional would have been hiding at this wonderful hospital, but there she was in the flesh. My husband and I both noticed that when her shift started the energy in the room changed completely. She was one of the people who I think would just rather that their patients were unconscious so they could do their job their way and not be annoyed by pesky sick people.

Thank goodness about 4 hours before the scheduled end of her shift she was replaced by a lovely, caring nurse. I think they may have shoved her into a cooler or something. I know I wanted to. :whistle:
Hubby and I both shared our thoughts about her with the higher ups and hopefully Nurse Ratched will be singing a different tune from now on. Everyone else at the hospital, from doctors, to admittance people, to the cook and housekeeper were beyond wonderful.

If you ever have a problem with a nurse or other staff person, be sure to let the bosses know. Changes cannot be make if the problems are not brought to their attention.

I stayed three days again. I have been home since Thursday and am doing really well. The one thing that I think has made a huge difference this time is that I was given a prescription for Celebrex. For some reason last time I did not have that, and my leg felt like a big wienie swelling up over a bonfire, ready to pop at any second. At three weeks I was starting to feel relatively normal.

This time I have felt pretty darned good. Not having that stiffness has made a world of difference.
I am taking the celebrex (2xday) as well as some oxycodone several times a day. It won't be long before I stop that. Last time I was off everything by three weeks, apart from an occasional Aleve before therapy. I can tell it won't be that long.

One other little glitch at the hospital was that the day after surgery the nurse set my noon pain pills on the tray and I totally forgot to take them. They were discovered over two hours later and I was already in a significant amount of pain. It took me probably until the next morning to get back to where I felt, pain wise, the previous morning. I was amazed at how much it affected me being two and a half hours late with the pills. So if you need pain meds, be sure to take them regularly if you want to stay on top of the pain.

I only have two more days of shots in my belly. Yay!:happydance:

Today I was able to take some short tentative (10-15 foot) walks around the house without my walker. I am being careful, though. There is no doubt that I feel a bit more stable with it than without.

I am excited to get the bandage off next Monday. The scar on the first knee doesn't look half bad. There is even a one inch section that I would say doesn't look like it was ever cut. I told the surgeon to do to my right knee whatever it was he did to that one inch section on the left. We will see in a few days. lol

Well, I'll report back if anything eventful happens. Good luck to everyone with their surgeries.
I hope that everyone's surgeries can be as positively life-changing as this has been for me.

Good luck to all.:cheers:

Hello, this was an interesting post. Thanks. And I understanding the pain you must have felt. I too had a hip surgery done. Two words to describe it - SUPER PAINFUL!:boohoo:

Wow! A month has passed since I posted about my second surgery, and so much has happened it is just mind-boggling.

On day 13 post-op I was laying on the sofa in my living room, icing my knee and being waited on by my son. My mother called to say she had fallen down her stairs (the day before), and wanted to go to the doctor. Now this is interesting because 15 days after my first tkr Mom fell and had to go into the ER as well. Good grief.

My son took her in. After a while he got me and I spent 4 hours sitting there while she was scanned and fitted for a back brace. Let me tell you, it sure is hard to get an ice pack out of those people. I showed them my wound and everything, but they kept forgetting. Imagine--and ER being busy. LOL

Anyway, long story short. My mother, who had progressive nuclear palsy to begin with, now needed someone at her house to help her get into bed, dress, etc. So I have stayed there all but two nights in the past month. The broken vertebrae are healing, so she can do much more now and when the brace comes off in a couple of weeks I will not stay anymore. Last week we got her a life alert type system and I have been able to go home during the days this week, which is fantastic because, well I love my mother, but the life of an 80 year old can be slow paced. Plus, she was terribly upset by the presidential election results and rarely allows the tv to be on now. :umm:She's pretty funny.

I have a new found appreciation for caregivers. It was not hard physically--I think my body just stepped up to the plate and did what it had to do. Not much really, just lifting her legs into bed, adjusting a brace, propping her up with pillows.
The hard part was that about ten days in it felt hopeless, like my life had been taken away. But then the miraculous happened. After years of urging from friends and family, she agreed to go to an assisted living apartment. So the past two weeks has been more than bearable emotionally. She is making plans for the move to her new home (maybe by late January) , I know she will be safe and watched over, and I get to go home when that brace comes off.

We also had to put our 14 year old pup down. Oh, the tears in the house that day. :sorry:

As far as my knee--wow! I think having celebrex this time has been amazing. What a difference.
I took oxycodone for about ten days, then hydrocodone off and on, and now for the past couple of weeks I have just been taking ocassional aleve. Mostly at night, because i just tend to be sorer then.

I have been doing therapy for two weeks now, at a different place than the last time. They started me off on day one doing more than I was doing at the end of therapy at the first place. It is nice! I like the people, and they have me using some different machines that are more challenging. I love it.

My extension on this knee has been harder to get. Last week it was at 8 degrees. I can push it to get it closer to straight, but that is what the lady measured that particular day. That is really my only disappointment. I want to be able to straighten that sucker out. But I realize I had a nearly 20 degree bend before surgery, and the poor leg hadn't been straight in years. It will take a while, but it will get there.

I have been able to get out and walk around stores, which is wonderful. This surgery has made such a difference in my life. Before it I would make a very quick trip to the grocery store and by the time I got to the checkout I would be sweaty and miserable. I thought it was from being so out of shape. But now I realize it was my reaction to the pain. I most definitely do not miss the pain. :happydance: I think it took having the second surgery to fully realize just how much discomfort I had been in before.

Oh, and my scar is very different from the first one. #1 is wider and redder. This one is very thin. I think it will almost disappear with time. The scar is the least of my worries, but it is interesting how they can look so different.

If anyone is reading this and is hesitant to have surgery...I know that sometimes there can be complications, but sometimes everything goes exactly according to plan, and so far I have been lucky to have that experience. I just want people to know that odds are the surgery will go fine, and you will find that your life is sooo much improved.

I wish anyone having a tkr the absolute best. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for all the information! I'm heading for TKR #2 and hope it goes even better than the first - maybe the knowledge I gained will make it so, though the first one has not been so bad. I will ask the Dr. about celebrex in addition to the pain meds - is it primarily for the swelling?

Hi LucyBelle, I thought Celebrex was for arthritus...is it also used for swelling as well?

Surgery causes inflammation. Celebrex reduces swelling caused by inflammation. Arthritis causes inflammation also. Celebrex is an anti-inflammatory.

Yes, for inflammation. I will never forget the feeling after the first one, for over two weeks it felt like my leg was a giant hot dog, plumped up over a bonfire! I joked that if it was poked juice would squirt out! None of that this time. :happydance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanDoWillDo