Bilateral TKR

@puglove Thank you. This site has already been informative and encouraging to me. There's lots of information that has helped me and I'm a sure there will be more. I will be praying for you as well.

You will find, I think, that BoneSmart will help a lot in keeping your mindset healthy. A lot of time we expect too much out of ourselves, and get our minds in a tizzy. Healing takes time.

Hey How did it go? I had a bi-lateral done on March 11th 2014.. This is the most life changing surgery possible and if you do what they say in rehab you'll be a happy camper...The pain 3yrs down the road is gone. No tylenol no ibuprofen no anything I'm 65 and play 18 holes 4 days a week and could not be happier and consider this a game changer...Now the work starts good luck

This is the most life changing surgery possible and if you do what they say in rehab you'll be a happy camper..
I agree that having your knees replaced is life-changing.

However, do beware in rehab that they don't try to make you over-exercise your knees. They don't need a lot of exercise and doing too much can actually slow down your progress. PT therapy should never hurt.

I'm a bilateral Oct 5 and will be watching your progress. Wishing you great sucess

I agree..It should never hurt but you have get the work done. As you well know, being sedate is the worst thing possible plenty of just plain walking was key to pain feel movement.You need to have a positive attitude that you believe in you, your surgeon and physical therapist....Good Luck

Agree about the positive attitude. It's a great help navigating the long and winding road that is recovery. :) I kept myself positive by celebrating the little victories along the way, like walking to the bathroom without a cane. Fixing my own snack! Going from walker to a cane. Little victories lead to big ones.

My OS was big on walking for rehabbing knees. At first I could only walk from the bed or recliner to the bathroom. Then to the end of the driveway (and back). Then to the end of the block (and back). Now at four months from surgery, I walk a couple miles a day. Pain-free. I never did aggressive PT, just some stretches and balance exercises, and those only on site. At home, all I did was walk. :walking:

Reactions: OJ2
Hello and welcome to the club. I'm 7 months post btkr and doing well. I remember reading somewhere that this knee replacement stuff can almost be broken into trimesters. Roughly the first six weeks are the toughest. But there is certainly a route to follow to get through the first six weeks.
Number one, get control of your pain management so that you stay ahead of the pain. I broke my leg skiing when I was a kid , and I've got to tell you, the pain medications are so much better these days. You're going to have physical therapy to go through, and I recommend you be a good soldier do your PT, and again use the pain management like you're supposed to .
It may be tough for the first few weeks getting rest, Getting through any "constipation" issues the first week due to the opiates. Believe me you're going to have The same war stories we all have for this period. Hopefully you got somebody that can help you, and you know within a week then two weeks then three weeks you're going to have little victories and more little victories and they'll continue to build, and your going to be just fine. After 7 months I've still got a ways to go but I'm worlds better than pre surgery. One thing you'll learn is this takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Enjoy every little victory. My first goals were 1. Pain control, 2. Icing, and 3. Getting myself in and out of bed. Everything comes slowly, but you will find one day you can do something you couldn't do yesterday. Enjoy each victory.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom