• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Big day at Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newwoman

senior
Well today I finally did it and took the bike all the way around not just rocked back and forth. It scared me the first time as I didn't realize it was going and then I was like a kid just learning to ride around and around and around. Boy am I paying for that tonight. I was so happy and talking a mile a minute that myself and another tkr in the therapy the same time as me decided we would start wearing t-shirts saying "HIGH ON THERAPY".
I think we're high on something but I don't think it's therapy.
I have grandkids tomorrow so hopefully it will be better tomorrow as they really don't understand Memaw just going to sit here and ice her knee.
Cathy

Way to Go! That is a big milestone! I am sorry it hurts, but know that it is definitely a productive pain. Ice it and KEEP IT MOVING!

Grandson is here and he is 3 so I guess I will have to keep moving or they run over you. Thank heavens he loves my laptop and right now he is on mine playing at NickJr and I am on my husbands. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh for modern technology.
Cath

Cathy...first time I was on the bike (with the seat as high as it would go)...the first complete "round" made me almost throw up! Keep going around and it gets easier and easier....now, I have the seat practically on the floor...knees bumpin' into my nose....(note to self...that AIN'T good!)....that first round still hurts, though.

I remember the first time the pedals went completely around the first time 22 yrs ago. I had the same sick feeling when it happened a couple of weeks ago!
I remember the first time, I was going back & forth just missing the complete rotation, the PT comes up behind me (I was clueless) and gives the back of my leg the smallest nudge... well around it went! I thought I would puke right there & then! But I ended up crying, so thrilled with what had seemed like an impossible task!
This time, I just smiled, knowing I have a long way to go...

Cathy, that is fantastic and it is in my opinion a big milestone in your recovery. Keep up the work. 1 round leads to 2, etc. I bet next year we might see you in the Tour de France!!! Realistically, like Patti said, the first rounds still hurt.
I just got back from the gym and I will hurt dearly by tonight. I was feeling great. I've recovered from that "POP" and swelling I had last Saturday. I started back working upper body as well as legs. I have given such emphasis and energy to recovery from the TKR that I haven't messed with any other exercises. Actually, I haven't had any extra energy to do upper body work. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the encouraging words I really appreciate it. We bought a total gym right before my surgery and John hasn't gotten it up yet. According to all the reviews it's a great gym but takes two men and an army to assemble it and he doesn't want to tackle that just yet. I think as we age strength training is so important and we need to make sure we keep our core strong. This gym was 299 from Sears and I think once we get it up we can get a good work out. I am going to ask my physical therapist if there are any knee exercises I can do on it.
You are all such great friends for keeping my spirits up while I fight the bend.
Thanks for being there.
Cathy

Cathy, I use the Total Gym everytime at PT. She raises it up all the way and has me do squats using my own body weight. She tells me to concentrate more weight on my TKR leg. THen for the bend she lowers it almost all the way down and I work on squats going as far as I can bending my knee as much as possible. I miss my Total Gym, I gave it to my daughter. But I think I'm going to purchase one of those pedal thingy's. It sounds great for my flexion and the price is right.

Good luck,

Laurie

What strikes me - this is all REAL LIFE in here, not the medical placebos the medical profession usually hands out. I think you guys are all totally awesome!!

I agree with you Josephine we all are awesome i love the all TRUTH in here !!! i had PT today as well it went pretty good 117deg bent 0 straight om 4 weeks out today :O) and i did it with out percocet !!! YE HAAAA :O) ~~~ JIM

I placed a couple of posts before this today that were a bit somber, as responses to other posts. BUT....Today was my Big Day at Therapy! Last week I was told my goal was 100 degrees ROM, because of the scar tissue of the last ten yrs. Well, after today's session I was at 104 degrees. For the last ten yrs I had 70-75.
This is just 6 weeks post surgery! I know I can go further! I will not let anyone put limitations on my new bionic knee!
Wow, I am really riding this high feeling today! I was actually using the squat machine! There was a time I couldn't get into a SUV let alone a sedan or compact car... and today I bent my knee 104 degrees.
I am really happy.
Faith

Great news Faith, it is a wonderful thing to see and feel the improvements, especially after years of struggle. I am glad to hear it and wish you the best.

Way to go, Faith. It feels so great to reach a personal goal or see tangible improvement.I'm so happy for you! And thanks for sharing your success because it gives others such hope!

Well jump on it Faith..It's great to actually see the imporvement isn't it?? That kind of progress makes you want to go back!

As I was sitting and talking to my OS a little while ago, he said "Stay Still"....I did and he measured me....I was bent to 120 while chatting away....yipppitydoooodaaaaaaa

Hey patti, is that like to your elbows? STAY AWAY FROM THE BAD JOKE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member