Backpacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktp

Country
United States United States
Any THR folks backpacking? Heavy packs? On or off trails?
Any Bilateral THR folks Backpacking?
Thoughts on this?

Looking forward to and fearing 2 new hips in the very near future:)

Thanks!

Interesting question @aktp - not sure I have read anything on this particular topic before. Thanks for raising it :)

I guess it is all going to start with what ones body weight is to begin with and what added weight is in the backpack ..

Well I know one of our hippies did lots of hiking post-op. He's not around much anymore but let's see if we can get his input @Z15 .

@aktp,

I look forward to seeing what is posted on this thread. I expect opinions could be from many different sides. The science, I know, is debated. And everyone has an opinion.

For myself, last month I had a revision on a metal-on-metal (MoM) hip placed 10 years ago. My surgeon said at the time my weight limit was 40 pounds. I was 42.

As my son has grown up, I became involved in scouts. I have done extensive hiking through the Arkansas Ozarks and Quachitas. Some on trail, some off. Usually with a light pack (nothing over 20lbs). Never had any problem, yet always had in the back of my mind not to slip and fall, especially as I was hopping over rocks or roots.

A few years ago my son and I packed in the Colorado wilderness. I had a pack at a little over 50 pounds. Overall, no problem with my hip during the trip (lack of air, YES! Hip, no). :grin:

Four months later I began to have pain in my hip. Metallosis from abrasion on my MoM hip. Dr said my backpacking had nothing to do with it. He explained that any hip that had MoM (resurfacing or otherwise) would eventually have metallic wear. (He no longer does MoM, because he has had to replace so many). Artificial hips, he explained, by their mechanical nature will wear, if used enough, whatever they are made from.

My opinion at this time, is that if a person plans to backpack, they should stay away from anything that will have MoM contact. Carrying a pack will force contact on the joint. There will be friction resulting in abrasion.

The ceramics they have today are outstanding. Much stronger than they were ten years ago. (Ceramic head is what I have now). While resurfacing sounds promising, they nevertheless are MoM. Metal sensitivity is one of those unknowns. Just like allergies, you can have no reaction one year, the next you can react. I would choose a material that has the least chance of reaction, yet with the greatest longevity. I would also choose a large head. The large heads seem to have the greatest success for active people.

Do your research. Have a good talk with your surgeon. And I wish you the best. It IS better on the other side!

ATKP,

I've done a lot of hiking since my hip replacement, but have not backpacked (full gear) with the artificial hip. Plenty of light packs tho. As for me and mine, I would not have concerns about a heavy pack...but that is on ceramic. As ARHip mentions, if it was MoM that would be a different concern. Anything that ups the friction with metal would be an added risk. My guess (and hope) is that you are NOT looking at MoM.

I trail run in the mountains and the forces that puts on my hip is probably as much or more than putting on a pack....but I'm not a kinesiologist. I trail ran today with some sections of trail still having 15" of increasingly wet heavy oxygen draining snow on them. There's a little slip and slide and pull with every step and every push off loses a goodly % of force in the snow compaction. I love a good workout and appreciate when the elements push me a bit, but even I would have gone for a bit more helpful footing. My point is...our bodies adjust, the new hips are strong and as long as we're smart we can do the things that we want to do.

Here's my son on a trail we did in Canyonlands...i did the same canyon but I don't get to be IN the photos, cuz I'm the camera guy.

az.smugmug.com_Vacation_Utah_and_Rocky_mountain_i_tsXcXrB_0_X2fa55719cf95a288cb67b1caf9c0f3a99.jpg

http://z.smugmug.com/Vacation/Utah-and-Rocky-mountain/25121646_HHVQHs#!i=2059618724&k=tsXcXrB

I hope that helps....this Spring, once the snow is gone I intend to try soccer again...not playing (can't risk the impact) but kicking around. Frankly, it didn't work well a year ago when I tried, but I wonder if that was partly because I had some metal complications brewing, and my hope is that after a couple revisions that that issue is history.

Good luck and keep asking questions

Z

Love the pickie @Z15 ... btw the one taken of the snow is my wallpaper at work... Love looking at each day and day dreaming! xx

I've backpacked extensively throughout the US and Canada. I honestly never give my artificial hip a thought. If a man can summit Mt Everest post-THR, I'm sure my hip can handle my more modest outings.

Here's the Everest story, if you're interested:
http://www.hss.edu/newsroom_don-healy-climbs-everest.asp

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hi all, Thanks for the feedback.
ARhip, good input. And happy healing. Did you have a MoM resurfacing or thr?

Z, glad you are doing so well. And to answer you question I am considering MoM (Resurfacing). I know this is as polarizing as talking politics but looking at the data I am the 'perfect' demographic for good results. Mid 30's, active, male. That said the instances of soft tissue damage frighten me, I am not committed to the MoM HR. Thoughts?

Alex, Love the everest story. It is notable that much of ones pack weight on Everest is on the hips of a sherpa not the 'climber'. Still a very impressive feat and great story.
I love that you are backpacking a lot, it's encouraging, does this include fairly heavy packs?

In the past it was not uncommon for me to carry 45-70lb loads for many weeks each year. I also do some work moving wood and logs around. My activity baseline is pretty high. I am willing to change (inevitable) but do want the best option for the greatest activity level.

Thanks Hippys!
tp

Last edited by a moderator:
tp,

I may be the exact WRONG person (or the very rightest) to ask about metal issues. I have ceramic on ceramic but my metal reaction was to a relatively small amount of corrosion debris from a fixed, essentially not moving joint in my modular hip. So these pieces fit together like the best mechanical fit you can imagine, and the torque I imposed on this joint led to metal on metal microabrasion in that very tight metal joint. And that led to a couple revisions starting at 20 months. In the scheme of things there was not much metal particulate ... but I reacted big time.

If you want to know about this growing issue...Google this: "adverse local tissue reaction" hip modular neck titanium chromium cobalt

So I am probably more down on metal particulate than most, but I also know that I demand more of the joint than many and I understand that this technology continues to evolve. And sometimes it doesn't evolve fast enough for users...

If MoM is the only type of resurfacing, then I see the issue. Surgeons I spoke with felt I would be happier going straight to the full THR, and I'm glad I did....even with a couple unscheduled revisions thrown in for good measure.

Sorry I missed that you are considering resurfacing in your original post...I guess I can't comment on how that would work for me!

This IS a great place to get experienced opinions though...good luck,

Z

Thanks Z. Sorry to hear about your revision. Sounds like a long road and it sounds like you are doing good now, cool. Amazing that the small junction is where your problem came from.
I'll read up on what you suggested.
I am interested in both HR and Total Hip. Still trying to figure out the best answer for me. I've gotten many opinions from some good docs I've seen (6 surgeons) are strongly conflicting. Each THR/HR doc coins the other a disaster.
HR is only available (at this time) in MoM. So, I want the high function of HR and suggested long life of HR...but I fear the metal damage. Agreed, technology will get there...I'm here now:)
thanks,

aktp

@aktp,
I had THR. Back 10 years ago resurfacing was not around, at least in my area. Regarding metal sensitivity, I have read (I think on BoneSmart) of tests that can be done to test your sensitivity. Probably costly and not covered by insurance, but it would be worth asking.

I have read good things about resurfacing ... but also very bad things. Besides BoneSmart, I found these two sites helpful in researching what was happening to me (from metallosis):

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/P...thetics/MetalonMetalHipImplants/ucm241604.htm - Read all the pages. Notice FDA's warning of all MoM. Resurfacing is included. I understand most (if not all) of Europe has outlawed all MoM. I suspect the USA is not far behind, based on the FDA site. I would use EXTREME caution with resurfacing (my biased opinion).

http://earlsview.com - He posts ALL the research that he can find. The links on his page covers both pro and con.

Good luck in your research and future healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member