August Hot Shots 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In August?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States

Hello to all our August Hot Shots!!! This is the place to join your fellow surgery-mates and chill out as you count down the days until your new joint arrives.

We welcome you to join the group and post whenever and whatever you would like to talk about. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

So let's get this party started!!!

Hello to all our August Hot Shots!!! This is the place to join your fellow surgery-mates and chill out as you count down the days until your new joint arrives.

We welcome you to join the group and post whenever and whatever you would like to talk about. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

Yes! Surgery scheduled for August 6. Surgery was originally scheduled for June, but doc wanted me to lose some weight, so I lost some and now moving on. Mixed feelings--scared about surgery and recovery period and outcome results --- anxious to get rid of this pain so I can move on with my life, be active again. Will I be pain free ever again? How will my arthritic knees affect my recovery and rehab? I will be attending an informational session next week at the hospital/joint replacement center--hope this helps! After reading various info about hip replacement materials, I inquired about metal allergies and about testing for these. Apparently, if I ever had sensitivity to cheap earrings, that may indicate a sensitivity to nickel/titanium (?). Years ago I had itchy ear lobes from cheap earrings so I think we will not use the metal material. Other than that, and the fact that I cannot get a medical leave from my job, I am starting to get a downstairs room prepared as a temporary bedroom and making other arrangements for my recovery period. My husband has been wonderful for support. Although it is getting more difficult each week,
Thanks for the info and support from the members here!

Hi Woodsy

Welcome to the BoneSmart family, great that you have joined us.

Do check out the extensive library we have, lots to inform and assist you in preparation for your surgery.

Read the post op threads, I don't think you will be dissapointed with your decision to go ahead. :)

Welcome, Woodsy.....it would be a good idea to start a pre-op thread of your own so we can learn more about you. Be sure and post any questions or concerns you may have.

How is that you cannot get medical leave from your job??? Do they expect that you will NEVER get sick, have an accident or need medical care??? That's not realistic!

Hello..new to this site & Forum..found all of you in the nick of time, just poking around www.
Surgery date is August 1st. Right Hip will be replaced. Lots to do, trying to stay calm, organized, make lists, line up my post-Op helpers.
Have to admit, I am unsure which type of surgery I will undergo..will email my Dr. and find out.
My Roomate has health issues of her own, and, while she will be my 24/7 primary caregiver, we are lining up many friends to help ease her workload, as she TIRES easily from her heart condition, and cannot do it all, no way.......lots to do here daily, with the big garden, the 4 pets, shopping, cleaning, laundry, all this life stuff...we just decided to use Disposable paper plates to keep dishes at a minimum, when I'm stuck in bed, unable to cook(I have been, with other helpers, my Roomate's caregiver for 10+ years--mostly cooking/cleaning/shopping/trips out for meds, etc..now, we will reverse roles for a bit)

My main concerns are getting a proper chair or 2 to sit in, after I'm mobile(I'm 6-3, and, CANNOT sit in any low chair now, due to pain, or, post-op, due to 90 degree issue), with arm rests..my old .recliner is OUT, and, they say my office swivel chair is not good either, so, at a loss for an inexpensive chair(I'd like to be able to sit in my office, and, use this computer to stay in touch, and update recovery--if not, will just use roomies laptop in bed....still need 2 tall arm chairs(Living Room, for TV watching, and, Office, for computer work).
Other hassle my roomate(who will be my Primary caregiver/helper) and I have discussed is our Dog....80 pounds of love(Female 5 Year Old Black Lab Mix, "Rosie", the love of my life)...we know she will not sleep with me during rehab...it's her intitial excitement each morning that scares me..she is VERY strong, and, will want to jump up to be "with Daddy"...ughh...CANNOT happen, but, need to see her...choker chain on short leash visits only I suppose, until she gets used to new routine....so she CANNOT jump on me, or, bump into me, or, paw at my leg at side of bed.........it will be a difficult few weeks with her hyper, big change in usual routine, which she HATES, and, just cries at my closed door, from past experience. Cats will have to sleep out of bedroom too...3 kitties will be fine adjusting, I'm sure...
Starting my exercises today, BIG list of at least 15 manuevers..upper body is quite powerful(from using a walker the last 4 months)..will start 1x/day, and, shoot for 2x/day up to surgery. Still getting to pool 1x/week, to push n pull for an hour.
I have all the durable equipment I will need..Potty chair, crutches, walker, shower bench, grabbers, canes, shoe-horn...etc...

Other than that, I am mentally ready, pumped up, positive, and looking foward to my new pain-free life(right knee will be assessed after right hip is finished..knee is riddled with arthritis, not too good in report). 1 thing at a time.
I look foward to all the support here...there are no accidents..I was meant to find this site today, and, with all of you on my side, i've got a whole new group of friends and support I can lean on in the coming days and weeks.

Petcal,
. So pleased you have joined us here on the forum.
Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself. You could simply copy and paste what you have written here.
The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to.
Looking forward to reading your first post in your thread.
petcal;

my father had a hip op in march 11 and has for the last 6months suffered from sciatic pain till the point now where he cannot walk for the last five days and has burning pains down his legs, does anyone know what he can do to relieve the pain or to help the situation. it is really getting him down which in itself is making him ill. the doctors have siad he has to wait another 3 months before he can have an MRI which i think is ****. he should be seen now. look forward to some replies.

Hi everyone and thank you so much for all of the good information. I think I went into this without realizing how really tough it was going to be. Surgery is scheduled for August 13th so it's a good thing that I will know what to expect. I received a notebook from the doctor's office but it sure didn't go into the detail that I'm getting here. I'm really worried about not getting enough pain meds and looking forward to a nightmare recovery. i'm 76 and I think that I'm a lot older than most of you guys although I'm in excellent health. I don't have the extreme pain that I've been reading about but after looking at the x-rays and seeing how bad it was I just decided that it was not going to get any better and I was just going to get older. I'm working on getting a good hold on this and stop feeling so panicky. Thanks for much for who ever started this website!

Hello August buddies! My surgery date is the 20th and I couldnt be more excited! I look forward to going thru this with you all. Hearing your stories and experiences really help me feel like I'm not alone. I have recently ended a long relationship with the love of my life so your companionship will be incredibly uplifting. No one understands what we are going through like our peers afterall! I'm forever grateful for this site and the fun is just getting started!! :happydance:

I am on for Aug 22. I am ready to get this done.

Coming up on Monday, 8/6, so 2 days to go. Now in 'cruise control'...

Jim

Good luck Jim, we will look forward to hearing from you from the post op side when you can :)

Poppet,

Thanks. Hope that the "when you can" part will be FAST :)!!

Jim

Fearful; good luck today. I suspect your experience will be much better than you are anticipating. Please post in Recovery when you can, so we can keep tabs on how you're doing.

hussey2012; your post has kind of gotten lost in this thread, since it has nothing to do with an upcoming August surgery. Please post again in the Recovery forum, in a new thread of your own, so people will notice and respond. Sciatica is no fun, and it is a shame to have an otherwise successful THR ruined by this kind of pain.

Sharon

Fearful;

Hope your surgery has gone well, looking forward to hearing from you :)

Good luck to the remainder of the August hot shots :)

Only one more excruciating wake-up then its surgery time for me! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!! Although I'm still on cloud 9 and totally elated its finally here(!!), I'm wondering if nerves will kick in tomorrow like I've read so often with others on here.

I'm still waiting on a phone call from the anesthesiologist so I can ask about food/drink consumption. My surgery is scheduled for 2pm tomorrow and fasting starting at midnight tonight seems awfully long to go without water. We'll see what he/she has to say about that. Otherwise, i COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED THE NEW BEGINNING IS NEAR! I'll still be on the lookout for all my fellow august buddies recoveries. Many blessings and prayers to you all! xo

cjorad;

It is Monday 20 Aug here in OZ, so my thoughts and prayers are with you.. can't wait to catch up with you on the post op side!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea