Aspirin vs Xarelto or Eliquis As A Post-Op Anti-Coagulant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUTCH

Country
United States United States
I just had the pre-op appointment for my second TKR. I was advised that the OS now recommends 325 mg Aspirin - 1 tablet twice a day for 30 days as an anti-coagulant instead of Xarelto or Eliquis.

Any thoughts or comments based on experience? :what: TIA!

Hi Dutch,
I used aspirin after my revision, worked great for me, and was much better than the warfarin I used after my primary TKR. Best of all aspirin is a lot less expensive.
The most important thing is getting up and walking around, hopefully the day of surgery.

Hi Dutch,
I used aspirin after my revision, worked great for me, and was much better than the warfarin I used after my primary TKR. Best of all aspirin is a lot less expensive.
The most important thing is getting up and walking around, hopefully the day of surgery.

Thanks for sharing your experience with aspirin as an anti-coagulant. Not concerned with the cost, as Medicare and my supplement cover it all.

I am scheduled for a 07:30 procedure, the first of the day. They told me that they will have me up and walking around shortly thereafter; and I will probably go home that same afternoon or evening. It's called "out patient surgery". :holysheep:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used aspirin after my replacement. I was thrilled my OS adopted this approach and had no problems.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

I had to give myself Lovenox injections for 14 days after release from the hospital and still have to take aspirin 30 days more. Every doctor seems to have a different protocol.

I had a horrid reaction to Xarelto post LTHR so would take aspirin any day! Had the injections post RTHR and had no problem except they are just a pain to do for 30 days.

Used Lovenox (self injections) with my LTKR......no problems with that; was rx'd Xeralto with my RTKR; Xeralto worked "too good" on me and I had to stop it just a few days post surgery. Surgeon put me on aspirin; all went fine after that. So, the aspirin worked very well.....

I was prescribed 325mg coated aspirin two times a day for 30 days after my TKR and I had no problems.

I also took 325mg aspirin twice a day. I purchased the coated ones ( brand name is ecotrin). I had a problem with them because of some previous problems with my stomach. I then had to be treated for the beginnings of an ulcer. I guess every med has its pluses and minuses.

I had to give myself Lovenox injections for 14 days after release from the hospital and still have to take aspirin 30 days more. Every doctor seems to have a different protocol.
I also was on Lovenox and then went to an aspirin protocol.

I also find it interesting that each OS does seem to differ on "What works..."

Aspirin seems to be the latest evidence-based protocol: That is, works just as well (if not better), at lower cost. Also, bleeding risk likely lower. And no shots.
They aren't pulling this stuff out of their hats. No surgeon wants patients to have DVT/VTE.

I had a TERRIBLE reaction to the Xarelto. My leg from mid thigh down turned deep purple from the bleeding, swelled twice its size, and then turned hard. It was 2 months before the bleeding was out of my leg and my calf became pliable again. When the home PT came the day after I got home, she would not touch my leg it looked so bad. I was switched to 325mg aspirin twice a day after a week. I also had to have an ultrasound checking for blood clots. There is another member on here that had such a bad hematoma, they did surgery to remove it after her reaction to Xarelto. Xarelto is not a good drug for some and for others, it is great. I know at three months, my leg still turns dark after my shower in the exact outline of the Xarelto bleed. I would NEVER take this drug again.

My OS prefers aspirin but I couldn't use it due to a past ulcer. I had no problems with Xaralto.

My OS prescribed Xarelto for my revision back in October, but the pharmacy said Medicare wanted Eliquis; so that's what I used. I still have hematoma discoloration on the side of the knee at 17 weeks post-op. Hopefully, based on the comments here, the aspirin will do better. Thanks all!

My OS give me aspirin twice a day for a month. I was happy about that he was going to give me lovenox a needle in the belly for 14 days. I ask the nurse please talk to him I panicked so he gave me aspirin:yikes:

I had a superficial clot in a vein in my left calf several years ago. The OS and GP agreed the best course of action was to be on Xarelto for two weeks, than back to my regular course of one 325mg of aspirin daily.

from my Galaxy S6

Aspirin is every bit as effective as an anticoagulant.

I took enteric coated aspirin 325mg twice a day for 6 weeks. Studies show it is just as effective and has less risk of causing bleeding after surgery which can cause infection. Was so relieved I didn't have to do the injections. Will admit though at about the one month mark my stomach was complaining.... very queasy.

My OS told me they don't recommend aspirin as a preventative clot measure for someone with history of thrombosis. In my case, after having a series of tests to determine if there was a genetic or otherwise factor that could've caused my clot, the vascular doctor blamed it on my varicose veins, but the OS wanted to err on the side of caution. He didn't see the need thank heavens to put me on Lovenox... for some odd reason that caused GI issues for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom