THR Ariel back on his feet (almost)

@Ariel glad to see you, sorry you're facing surgery. I'm curious what they are doing as well. I had a fusion at L5/S1, had major problems with disc sliding all over when I bent in any direction. That was one of the reasons it took my docs so long to agree with me that it was my hip and not my back.

Sorry to hear you will need surgery @Ariel
Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
Wishing you only the best.

Sorry to hear about your back---I hope that whatever surgery you are having will alleviate your current pain.

Those of us living, and aging, in these times will all probably experience a number of surgeries and joint replacements. It's a good problem to have on one hand, but also pretty overwhelming on the other. I often think about my grandmother, who suffered for over 25 years from arthritis before she died in 1966. She lived in the time before NSAIDS, replacement surgeries, arthritis meds, etc. As I was dealing with the osteoporosis of my hip, (and my previous spinal stenosis in my back) I kept thinking about her, and what it must have been like not to have the options that I did, in terms of therapy, meds, and surgeries. I wish you luck with your next steps.

I have compression between L1&L2, surgery should have happened on March 30 but it was cancelled due to C19. On April 6 I was in severe pain (Groin and Calf) and was only able to crawl and ended up in A&E on morphine, since then I have controlled the pain with large doses of Codeine and taking life very easy. As hospitals start to get back to the new normal I am waiting for them to communicate with me. Thank you all for your thoughts and best wishes.

Hello Ariel,
Sorry to hear your surgery was canceled and you continue to struggle with pain.
Hopefully you are able to re-schedule soon and gain relief.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Ariel

:sad: I'm sorry to hear about the cancellation and that you are in so much pain.
Virtual hugs.

Happy One Year Anniversary, Ariel!

I hope you’ve received a new surgery date and your pain is well managed in the interim.
Wishing you comfort as you await a new date.
@Ariel

I had my spinal surgery on Saturday (I did have to pay however) and although the wound site is rather sore the debilitating pain that I have lived with for over a year seems to have gone as has the constant feeling that I needed to use the toilet. I am home now and taking life a bit easy.

@Ariel so glad your spinal surgery is done. Please take it very easy. Spinal surgery recovery is very different from THR recovery. Do you have the no lifting or bending restrictions?

Hello @Ariel
Wonderful news your surgery is over and you’re feeling relief from the pain you’ve been dealing with.
All the best as you continue to heal.

Thank you both, I am taking it very easy with no lifting, no twisting etc. It was obviously under a general anesthetic and took about two hours. I was dreading being put under but it was ok, I came around able to talk and was ravenously hungry as opposed to the slurring and vomiting mess that I had expected. Back on the ward I phoned friends and even discussed some modifications to a 1950s racing car with the owner. I spent one very sleepless night in hospital despite a lot of Morphine and Zopiclone and am glad to be back home.

On June 11 2019 I wrote " All in all it is going well except for pain in my knee that pre op I had put down to the hip but it is still with me and may be the result of hitting a tree at about 30 mph on a motorcycle in 2004. The registrar in A&E told me at the time that it may cause problems in the future, looks like they may have been right." This was not to do with a crash or a THR but from the damage to my spine at L4, L5 ( I got it wrong when I previously said L1, L2). The pain spread to both legs, calves and groin but the knee was the worst and the day before my spine op it had been stamped on and I did wonder how so much pain could be coming from my back but it seems that it was. It has been a difficult two years but it is hopefully over.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. It is amazing how the back and the hip can aggravate other areas that you would never even think of.

I had L5/S1 fusion back in 2015, had pain all in my hips, down my legs and into my feet. Woke up after surgery and most of it was gone. When my hip started acting up my doc kept saying your back is messing up again. Took me a good 2 years to get all my docs on the same sheet of music and realize it was my hip! Take it slow and easy, definitely watch the bending and twisting. You'll be on the mend before you know it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom