April Rainbows 2011 – Are You Having Hip Surgery In April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
April Rainbows 2011 – Are You Having Hip Surgery In April?

Is April the month you plan to find the pot of gold at the end of your rainbow? Congratulations!!! And we invite you to join the BoneSmart group, April Rainbows. As a team, you will have people like yourself going through surgery at the same time to talk with. We find this works really well to deal with concerns and provide support to each other.

Let us know your surgery date and join the group!

Well- I did it! Made the appt. April 13th is the day for the first of two hip surgeries. I think the right is the first to get the beauty treatment. :whis:

Whoo hooo!!!! Good news for both of you!!!

Gosh-things are getting worse real fast. Today I wanted to stop by a specialty food shop for a few items and decided not to do so and had to admit to myself that the effort to walk around was too much. The pain is now controlling my decisions. So the other day when I was questioning to myself if I should have tried "the shot" or some more consistent "heat and ice" before embarking on this serious surgery---boy---today answered that big time. To think as recently as October I was able to do everything I wanted with my little limp!

I am happy but scared to be an April Rainbow! I do go to the gym and try to keep stretched out and use the treadmill and bike and weights. Finding the treadmill starting to hurt though. So fast--this downhill spiral----:cry1:

Magnolia....so sorry you are having some pain. But it will all be gone very, very soon. In the meantime, don't push too hard on the exercises. If it hurts, don't do it. It's not worth it at this point. This is a time to baby yourself!!

oooh! I remember that on-off-on-off mentality! It was the pits and friends and family never knew where they were with me!

Well, Got my call today and my date is 1st April!!

Nervous, anxious and a bit excited!! Weird feeling. Have 4 weeks to sort everything out!
Jyoti

That's great, Jyoti!!! It looks like you are going to be moving ahead here really soon.

Well we're a bit quiet here, compared to the Musketeers and Marvellettes!!
I think we need to liven things up a bit. We may be a small bunch now, but I'm sure there will be more as time goes on.

Have been reading the threads here since November and now I've gone blank on what I need to do etc. Will have to start sorting things out as not long to go - only 4 weeks!!

I think work will be my main issue as so much paper work to sort out so whoever deals with my work knows what's going on!!:LOLL:

Also all that shopping and getting the equipment. Well here goes :happy dance:

Jyoti

Good idea, Jyoti....let's get these April folks chatting and planning for the Big Day!

I have a question. When I had my pre-op which to be honest wasn't that exciting. I expected more as they did not really tell me anything. It was very much a tick box with them asking me questions re: health.

However, I was not told to stop any of my medication, which I was surprised about as it seems many were. Also another question is about being on your periods. If you are is the surgery postponed?

I know I will have to ring the Hospital to check but interested to know from others?
Thanks
Jyoti

I doubt if having a period would interrupt your surgery. And about the meds.....all doctors and hospitals have different rules. Most want meds stopped for some period of time, so I think you are fortunate not to have to stop any of them. It will ensure you are comfortable right up to surgery day.

Also another question is about being on your periods. If you are is the surgery postponed?
Good heavens no!

I know it was a silly question. Thanks for the replies
Jyoti

No.....not silly, Jyoti! There were probably others out there who wondered the same thing. Don't EVER hesitate to ask a question.

Not silly questions at all! I was not told to stop any meds Jyoti so I wouldn't worry. As Jamie says every OS has a different idea about this.

Lol........me to....lol.

So.........is there any feel good, warm fuzzy, mushy feeling item that anyone will be taking.???

Nadine,

I didn't think to take anything in with me for my first surgery but my mom brought in a super soft bunny the first day, and it was great to have! You put it just right: it felt good, warm, furry and mushy in a place (hospital bed) that doesn't have a lot of softness to it. It was very comforting, AND you can never have enough "pillows", I say! I continue to sleep with it now after surgery #2 in my home hospital bed.
If you already have an item from home, or maybe that you associate with a loved one, I say go for it! The nurses only admired my bunny and didn't laugh (it is bright pink so very noticeable - not my usual color, but it is so soft....). Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom