Any golfers out there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spc1

Hello out there in post op hipland! Are there any recovering golfers that can share their tales of post op golf stories? I'm having a TLHR on 11/7 and I'm an avid golfer. I'm playing in a St.Jude golf tournament this Monday at the Country Club of the South and I guess this will be the last golf for me for a while. I can still play even with my sore hip but I guess I'm better off getting this done now while I know what to expect with my health insurance now vs. next year. I'm a 10 handicap player and love to play with my wife any chance we get. We live in Atlanta Ga. and we can almost play yearound. I'd love to hear from you guys and gals.

Regards,
Stanley:yahoo:

Hi Stan, here's a good post for you to read. Lots of golfers return to the game with no problem!

Hi Stan
My OS told me I could play at 8 weeks post op. As I can't actually play golf I didn't take him up on it :th_heehee:
Good luck with your op, you'll soon be back in the swing of things. Groan!::giggle::giggle:

Hi beesuare, how's the hip doing now? Any pain when swinging the sticks? Do you walk the course or ride the carts? How was your recovery time as well? I'm getting nervouse.. Stan

Hi Stan
My OS told me I could play at 8 weeks post op. As I can't actually play golf I didn't take him up on it :
I don't actually play Stan ( see quote !!) but I'm sure you'll be on the greens in no time at all.
My hip is doing really well thanks. 13 weeks since I had the op, went back to work last week and have noticed a great improvement in the past few days. Bit stiff on getting up and still healing aches and pains but the actual hip is fab.
I think we're all nervous about the surgery and of course there is some pain and discomfort afterwards but you'll soon feel the benefits - you only have to read the progress of the folks on this forum. Follow the advice of the experts here and rest, elevate and ice and don' t overdo things.
You'll find lots of comfort and support from everyone who posts here - I've found it invaluable. There's also a great library which is very informative.
Wishing you all the very best for your op and make sure you let us know how it went. :thumb:

Stan....I had a knee replaced and I don't golf, so I'm not much help with personal stories. But....I have a very good friend who had a hip replaced and has gone back to better golf than before the surgery. She is crazy about her new hip. I can't tell you exactly how fast you'll be back on the course, but....I think you're going to discover that you will be able to play with no thought of your hip at all.

Stan,
I am also an avid golfer, although my handicap is more like 25 than 10. It has been one year since my LTHR. I have golfed a lot this year so you are going to be back to golf before you know it.
What I can tell you from my experience is that it is not wise to rush back out. Prior to my surgery I was at the point where I had to take a cart. I could still play though. I had a bit of a slow recovery. I was quite impatient. I would recommend that you not rush it. By spring you will be back to walking 18. However it takes some time for the muscles to recover. They will still be protective of your hip although it no longer is necessary. But if you give it the time it is worth it. You will be amazed at how much better you will swing. With the freedom to move your hips your follow through will be more correct. You have probably made compensations to your swing even though you don't realize it. It takes a bit of time to get the tempo back in good order.
I have been out on the links, walking 18 since April. I live in a cooler climate so our golf season does not really start until April. I probably could have been out a bit sooner if the weather had allowed. I did find after the first few rounds I was quite tired, but that was just the legs getting back in shape to walk the full course. I have not taken a cart once this year, except on a few courses where they are mandatory.
Good luck with your recovery. As a golfer you picked the best time of year for the surgery. Winter golf, even in Georgia is not the prime season, by spring you will be ready to swing.:happy dance:
Victoria

Hello Victoria, thanks for the reply! Well we did good at our tournament today 15 under. Lowest gross however the team that came in first was 16 under with handicap net oh well we got a dozen Titliest NXT balls and a free round for 2 per person at Stone Mountain Ga golf course. I'm going in tomorrow for my pre-op meeting and if all goes well I'll see you on the other side.. Stan

I read your quote however when you said you can't actually play golf I took it to mean you could play but not very well.Lol I go tommorow for my pre-op with os,hospital ect. If you were me are there any questions you wish you would have asked the surgeon or anestesia doc and in hindsight would ask if you had to do it over again? Does this make sense? Stan

Hi Stan..
I love to golf - we are snow birds who live in The Villages in Florida - Golf Nirvana. I'm 13 weeks Post-op. My ortho doc released me to golf at 8 weeks, but I knew I wasn't ready. My IT Band has been slow to come back.. I started back with simple chipping and putting. I did go to the driving range at 10 weeks and hit about 25 balls - and then felt the results of it the next day... ouch.. Then I went back to my women's league and used a cart.. just chipped and putted. But now that we are back in FL for the winter, I'm ready to go.. I'll be using a cart for the time being and taking it slow, but I know that my hip will be all the better for having had it replaced.
Just take your time heading back out... start with simple chipping and putting as you get your feet under you (short game is what's it all really about)... and that will lift your spirits until you can get out on the courses.

I'm planning to head to the driving range later this week and then head out to play 9 with my husband. So looking forward to it all...
Good luck with the surgery...

Good luck Stan! I golf but not very well. But I am convinced my limited ability
was due to two lousy hips. I am planning to start back with short game practice although my OS gave me the go-ahead at four weeks. I had the anterior procedure and that may be why it was so soon. I waited, however, because I just didn't have the energy yet. Now I am feeling more ready--about 11 weeks out. I just know I am going to be better!! :wink1:

Hello Sue, thank you so much for sharing with me your experience getting back to the swing of things. Sue what is an IT band? I'm not familiar with the lingo so much however I'm learning pretty quick. You must love going to your Fl. home at the Villages. I see the commercials all the time when watching golf on tv. I must say I'm a little envious, lol Stan

Wow, two hips in one year that fantastic!! Thanks for your insight. I'm good to go Nov. 7th getting a little nervous I guess thats to be expected. Had my pre-op today. All systems go. I think I'll take my wife out next Tuesday for my last round of the year.:cry:However I can't wait till the new hip is in and my doc says go hit em.. Stan

Good luck Stan, you'll be fine and posting your progress before you know it :yes 4:

Good luck with your surgery Stan. I am a golfer and 13 weeks post op. I chipped a few balls in back yard at about 6-8 weeks just to entertain myself. I really didn't feel back to my old self until about 10-12 weeks - it took me awhile to regain stamina and for the leg itself to feel normal (it's amazing the improvement that comes between weeks 9 - 12). I went to the driving range during that time and hit a few balls with irons and did fine. I think I could do it now but my goal is to play 18 holes at 4 months post op. The doctor released me to golf at 6 weeks stating he never heard of a patient dislocating hip replacement while golfing. I've read where you should wear spikeless golf shoes. I've learned from this forum not to be in a rush to get back to all activities and that it helps to take things slowly.

Hi tenderchicken, thank you for your reply! How was your first few days of recovery after you left the hospital? I'm stressing a little about stairs. I have 16 stairs to get up to my bedroom 8 then a landing then 8 more to the top. I know the staff at the hospital will make sure I can do steps before I'm released just curious what it may be like. I hope you get to hit em good and straight at 4 months post op. I hope to loose my hook. Since my left hip started to be an issue I developed this nasty pull hook yuck. Anyway a little venting. I do appreciate all the lovely replies. You all are awsome. Stan

Stan, I went home to a one story house so stairs were not an issue. They will instruct you to use your non-operated leg up on the step first and then lift your operated leg to same step, going one step at time. Going down you will step down with your operated leg first and bring your nonoperated leg to that step one step at time. I still sometimes do stairs that way and just keep saying in my head "Up with the Good, Down with the bad". I think you'll be ok on the steps. The first few weeks may be difficult, but I tried steps out at two weeks and could easily do them as instructed above.

Hello Stan
I had a full replacement on Dec 1 2010. It was my left hip. I live on a golf course in Houston and have a very active Mens association with the golf club so I was playing 5-7 times a month easily before surgery. The first time I played was Feb 14th so that was just 10 weeks. I did play but it wore me out something bad. It took about 4-5 days to get my strength back. I started a good exercise program with visits to the gym for leg lifts, sitting squats and other thigh exercises plus lots of walking in the evening. This was good. I do some stretching but I am bad with it. I became very active with golf in April but I would notice I had no problems playing but I would be sore.tired after so some ibprofeins did the job. Your gold swing will change. I was a fader with a 7 handicap. I now can hit thru the ball with no pain but old habits are hard to change. I waited for almost 3 years with bad pain and weakness before I did the surgergy so I have some bad habits that I picked up with the bad leg so I would tell you it was a good thing for me. Be carefull when you play 3-4 days in a row. The body and leg gets real tired. But if you keep the exersise in your normal day, your hip no problem just keep the leg strong. I hope this helps.
Brett

Hi Brett,
I'm 10 days away for my "procedure" getting a little nervous don't ya know! I'm gonna take my wife out to play this Sunday I suppose for the last time this year. We normally play once a week so I won't wear myself out too bad I hope after the recovery stage. I've been putting up with this pain for a liitle over a year and feel lucky to be able to get this done. Thanks for sharing your experience with me and I hope you get a hole in one the next time you play!! Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020