Am I ready for THR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer505

My xray looks pretty bad, on the painful side I have a large acetabular spur. Last three years I have lost a lot of range of motion, I limp, but honestly the pain is manageable and doesn't interfere much with my activity. I'm worried that the hip will pretty much freeze up if I don't get something done. Any other surgery options out there? Should I just wait until the pain is worse?

Hi there. I'm on the same boat as you. My hip also don't interfere much with my normal activity. Mine's gets worse sometimes and goes after 3/4 days. Does same happen to you?? I also think should I wait till it get worse. To be honest, my pain is bearable at the moment like yours so I really don't want to go for any op. I don't know what to do. I hope somebody could help us both :))

I'm in the much the same situation. I visited an OS this week after experiencing progressively worsening pain for four years. The pain has been manageable with drugs most of the time, but it's still a real drag to hurt all the time even if it's just moderate pain. I have a desk job, so I haven't missed much work, although I have suffered through some days. As time has passed I realized that I'm simply not doing or enjoying some activities that I used to because of the pain. The change was so gradual I suppose I just concluded that I was growing lazy and that's why I don't do long bike rides, ride my motorcycle, or go hiking. I finally realized that I'm not lazy; I hurt. My OS sent me home with some information and literature to think about, but one thing is certain, I have advanced osteoarthritis and my right hip will have to be replaced. I have just about come to the conclusion that I will inform my OS at my next appointment to do the replacement sometime this fall and get it over with. That way I can get back to enjoying things I like to do.

I have been suffering for 5 years mostly because I didn't know what was wrong. I went through two pregnancies and blamed most of the pain on that. My youngest is now 2 years old and I came to the realization that this pain couldn't be related to pregnancy and it had to be something else. My pain is mostly in my thigh and not in my hip. I am both afraid of the surgery and excited at the same time. I only now started on perscription pain meds and my surgery is in September. Anyone I know who has had this surgery has said the same thing to me. "Why did I wait so long to have it" That is what pushed me over the edge and forced me to forget my age (46) and the liklihood that I will have to have another replacement in my lifetime and just do it! Good luck with making your decision.

Only you can make this decision for yourself. A common thread in posts like this is "the pain is managable and doesn't interfere much with my life or activities." Well ... it must be doing that or why would you even seek evaluation and treatment??? Just food for thought.

I think sometimes this arthritis pain comes on so slowly that we make small adjustments here and there and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal until it gets to the point where we can hardly walk. Then we know for sure!

I've had both hips replaced. First one went very well, but I was so sore and immobile prior to the surgery that I felt like the "walking dead". I never, ever want to feel that way again about anything. I didn't wait until the second one was that bad. I had the second one done 5 months later, and the surgery seemed to go well ... except the hospital PT gave me some very aggressive post OP PT--I'm talking more exercises and intensity on the first post op day than the most intense session at ANY point during the recovery of my first hip. I suffered a lot of soft tissue injury and soreness from that and it continues to be a problem. As a result, I'm not having the quick and relatively easy recovery with the second as I had with the first. Even considering this setback, I'm still glad I had my hips replaced and am looking forward to a much better life after all the issues get sorted out and I recover. At least I know there is a better life ahead ... rather than feeling like my life is whittling away day by day and not having anything to look forward to except progressive arthritis.

Just my take on things.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The good thing is that you sound like you (except maybe Jazz-your's seems to be getting more painful ... but you are scheduled and good to go!) will have time to do your research and choose a great surgeon and a great hospital, as well as make the necessary home preparations.

Dorothy

Wow, I'm glad I'm done with all the decision-making. All the slicing and dicing is done for me, and I'm looking forward to the rest of my life without hip problems.

Racer, if you're limping then the pain is NOT manageable. You're limping to protect yourself from pain. That limp throws off your gait and will eventually cause other problems as well. So....either manage the pain with meds, or get the surgery now while you are still young and fit enough that it will be an easy recovery. And then enjoy the rest of your life WITHOUT a limp. You will likely develop more and larger bone spurs....they add a layer of complexity to the surgery. This is such a successful surgery....pick a really good surgeon and just do it.

Confused, you are much younger. So there are other reasons for your pain. I'm pretty sure you started a thread of your own, didn't you? I'll go look for it and see what's been said there. You have a lot of different considerations than someone like Racer.

Guyr, you have already gone through a very typical decision-making process. You recognize that the pain is impacting your life, and you're tired of it. At 49, there's a good chance that a new hip will last the rest of your life, and it will be a happier life if this hip pain were not in it. So yes, schedule the operation and move on. :)

Chris, you too have already decided on the quality of life issue. 46 is young (I was that young just a few weeks ago it seems like!!), but really....you might not ever need a revision. But the next 30 years of your life will be a lot better even if you do have to deal with that later on.

Surgery is daunting, that's for sure. But it actually fixes a problem. I hated it when everyone said to me...you'll know when you're ready. But then one day, I knew I was ready....everyone was right. Many of us feel like we waited just a year or two too long. So if you're not quite ready, you might be readier than you think.

Good luck everyone. It's an interesting part of the journey.

Sharon

Racer, it's a hard decision but in the end you need to think about how your world is beginning to narrow. When you stop doing the things you love and start planning your life around the pain - then it's time. I waited far too long and my recovery was very long. It think recovery is much easier if you have surgery before you develop a significant limp. You start to compensate to try and stay off the hip. Once you have THR the body has to shift again to walk correctly.

I'm not saying it will happen in your case but my hip finally collapsed. Believe me you do not want to go through that pain. If I had to do it all over again I would have had my THR about three years earlier.

Good luck in making your decision.

Here's a couple of good tips to help you evaluate your situation.

1. make a detailed list of everything you have to do, need to do and like to do.
~~ 'have to' includes work, driving, shopping, cleaning, changing bed sheets, preparing family meals and clearing up after, laundry, etc.
~~ 'need to' includes cleaning windows, keeping the garden tidy and such
~~ 'like to' includes recreational gardening, visiting with friends, going out for a meal, window shopping (as in not actually buying anything just looking round shops), holidays, going for long walks, hiking, cycling, skiing and any other sporting activity you like to do

Once you have this list, then go through it and cross out things you can no longer do or have to think twice about doing. Be honest, this is no time to lie to yourself!

I created this score chart which you can print off and use for this.

2. then do the Harris Hip Score. Just do part one, the other two parts are for doctors. See what your score is and if it's below 70, then you know you need to get it done!

Attachments

• List of activities and abilities score chart.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea