All done 4th March and back home

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDC

Well had my surgery on 4th March so thought I would give you an update on how things went. Had the operation at about 4:30 Friday afternoon, I was very nervous by that stage but the nurses and anaesthetist were great and really put me at ease. I had a spinal and didn’t feel or see anything, next thing I knew was in the recovery room and then being wheeled back to my room. My OS came and saw me later that night and said things had gone well and he would come and check up on me over the weekend.

The femoral block was working well as I had no pain at all but I must had had a reaction to the anaesthetic or pain meds as I started to vomit quite a bit, not nice and I felt really ill. This continued for a while and they had to give me an injection to stop the nausea. Managed to sleep a bit but the next morning couldn’t face much food at breakfast or lunch, so when PT came to see if I could get up and walk I passed out, back into bed and put me on oxygen. Not a great start to my recovery! :sigh:

Things have improved dramatically since then, the only other hitch has been my pain meds which had to be changed so now on Tramadol which is working well. By Tuesday I was walking really well on the crutches, could do the stairs in the hospital and had a ROM of 90. :yes 4:PT were really pleased with my progress so they said I could go home on Tuesday afternoon. My OS came to see me before I went and said progress was looking good and good luck with things, the hard work starts now and he would see me in a few weeks time.

So today is my first full day at home and I feel so much better now, the pain is being controlled well and the swelling in my leg has reduced quite a bit although the bruising is coming along nicely! I’m doing my exercises and have my next PT session on Monday when I’m hoping my ROM will have improved. So overall apart from the first day and and a half, things have gone pretty well and I’m pleased with things so far, just hope I can continue to improve.

I can’t tell you how much this forum has helped me with the whole experience, in fact I would describe it as invaluable. So thanks for everything so far!!:ThankYou:

PS . This a photo of my knee 2 days post op

Attachments

• P1000816.JPG
    P1000816.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 183
Re: All done and back home

I am glad to hear you are home---it sounds like the surgery was done well and that you had no problems with the surgery; I am sorry you had to wait throughout the day to get it done---I like the 7:00 AM approach myself.

To bad about the nausea, but it sounds like you have put that behind you and you can recover now from the comforts of your home, which is really a great thing!

Do not worry about the ROM---it may come and go for a while, but it does take some time; you will do it, just do not be in a hurry as you will get frustrated.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what is going on...we will be here for you!

That's a nice looking incision/scar! It sounds like you are doing well, congrats!

Way to go!! Doesn't it feel great to be on this side of things?

Sorry you had a tough start to recovery, but it sounds like you have a great attitude and are ready to get on with it - good for you!

Take care and rest lots - let everyone pamper you for awhile. Have a great day. Maggie

Good to see ya on this side and doing well. Keep up the good work.

Welcome home!!! Your leg looks wonderful and you are doing GREAT!!! Sorry you had a bumpy beginning, but it appears things are moving right along now. :yes 4:

Yes, indeed - great start. However, just look how swollen that knee is, as they always are at this point. So don't be disappointed if there isn't much progress in the ROM. Could take a while until the swelling goes down some.

Take it easy, and make sure that you

ICE AND ELEVATE!!! ICE AND ELEVATE!!!

Again, it sounds like you are doing great, relax and take your time. Remember, your knee is in charge of recovery and healing. IT is its schedule, not yours---I had to learn that; many of us did.

Just a quick update on how things are progressing. It was my birthday today, 10 days after my op and I got the best present I could have wished for - I was walking without my crutches!:happy dance:It felt really good, I'm still a bit apprehensive about going too far but slowly getting more confident.

I had my first PT session today since leaving the hospital and she was really pleased with my progress, my knee does still have a certain amount of swelling so this is affecting my ROM a bit, its at 95 and my extension is about -5. Got some new exercises to do over the next few days before I have my next session and if I can get the swelling down I'm hopeful that I can continue to make progress

So plenty of ice and elevation is top of my list to try to get this swelling under control, I'm being careful not to rush things but I'm really excited about the future:yahoo:

You really ARE doing great, Jacqui!!! Keep up the great recovery and just take things slow and steady.

Happy birthday to you! It sounds like you are progressing nicely---as Jamie said, do not be in a hurry and rush things, just heal and relax---I am glad that you are icing and elevating. Do not worry now about ROM and extension---those things will come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom