Bilateral TKR A new beginning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Heart broken!

Heart Broken would be a understatement for me. I would't be able to do it so I have to wonder what was he thinking of? Please let us know how you are doing. Please don't feel unhappy you will get there in your time. Do realize you are in a family and we need to hear from you. And if you feel down, I do understand but we offer our internet shoulder.:console::doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

Re: Heart broken!

wubby, I think that situation did you a BIG favour! You should not even be thinking of returning to work only 8 weeks after a BTKR!

(I also merged your two threads as I prefer members to have only one recovery thread for continuity's sake.)

Well next week marks my 3 month anniversary from my BTKR , its had its ups and downs. I am experiencing abit more discomfort than I was before, but hopefully its just because of being up and around abit more. Feels like my knees are on fire at times, and stiff most of all when getting up . Also feeling abit of pain upon standing but just when first arising. Please give me any insight you may have out there for me! Am wondering if something is wrong

Trying to keep a pep in my step a smile on my face and a song in my heart!

I have to be honest with you---i had a BTKR and I kept wondering when things would get better. I returned to the classroom at eight weeks---that was my "magic date." I thought I would be pretty close to normal by then---little did I know...

I was stiff, sore, and walked like Festus of Gunsmoke (that is what one of my colleagues called me.) At five months, I still had a very slight limp---that disappeared at about 5 1/2 months. At six months I was really beginning to feel better; at eight months I was almost back to "good as new."

These BTKR's can take much longer than we would like them to to heal---but there is hope and you will get there; i felt very much the same way you are now feeling; it was frustratingly long and I was not the most patient of people.

Tim's right....you need to give yourself much more time to get back to normal. Aches and pains are all part of the deal for many months in most recoveries. Do be sure you are medicating adquately for pain. It could be prescription meds or over the counter pills like our BoneSmart cocktail.

Ok, since I posted last I am now noticing two spots one on each knee where it looks like a 50 cent piece size of swelling protruding, I have been so faithful in elevating and icing, should I be worried. I probably will call my OS tomorrow I don't go back till next week. I am nervous, don't want any thing to be wrong!

Wubby......how are you doing? Did you have a chat with your OS about the swollen areas?

Well I had my 3 month appointment and he was not concerned about the swelling saying that was normal. I talked to him abit about the fact that my knees still feel tight and like they are on fire , so he increased my gabapentin . I guess because of my age and having been away from working since December this recovery is trying my patience. I mean I know I had to do it I had no choice, but I was so hoping that since I started out doing so well it would just continue lol. He is having me return in a month and I wondered if that was normal? So glad I found this site, if only just for all the wonderful information but now also to be able to jot down my feelings ! I go to the forums daily to check on whats going on with every ones recovery and so often are comforted knowing that everyone pretty much goes thru the same things I am . So thanks so much for being here for me during this most difficult time.
I will say on a high note, I have enjoyed swimming in a Vortex which was a wonderful work out for my knees and have started walking on a tread mill again for the first time in many years where I didn't limp. So there are also many things to be thankful for !

Keep a pep in your step a smile on your face and a song in your heart!

For every one out there, I am continuing to have excessive burning sensation in both knees, my OS prescribed medication for nerves , gabapetin. I don't feel much relief from this medicine, any ideas from my fellow bone smart peers?

Hi Wubby

I am sorry to read you have this burning sensation and I do hope it disappears soon. I can't offer any insight into the issue other than it is more than likely all still healing inside and some folks take longer to heal than others. The fact you have recently seen your OS and he obviously seems satisified there is not a problem - that is good! It is good you are going back to see him soon, so you can check it out with him again. What date do you see him?

Take care and keep us posted.

Well soon I will be at the 6 month mark with my BTKR I am finally working part time , and am finding about 25 hours a week is enough for now. I have tried to walk a longer distance on a regular basis as well, and am not tolerating it well, having a bit of discomfort in the inside of the right knee. I am also still having fire in the nerve endings but the gabapentin is keeping that under control. Now I want to try and get rid of some of the weight I gained while sitting around for these past 6 months.

Having this surgery gave me back my life, I feel like I can finally walk again , go up and down stairs again, clean my house, water the garden, walk my furbabies all things I had given up . My quality of life has greatly improved ! I am truelly blessed!
Keeping a pep in my step , a smile on my face and a song in my heart!

AddEmoticons0096.gif
Wubby, what a really nice update. Glad things are humming along so well and that you've found a good pace at work. It is wonderful to be able to do all those "normal" things again. And its wonderful that you are pleased with the surgery and its outcome. I have no doubt with you new mobility that you'll be able to lose that weight--but slow and easy just like recovery.

Take care of yourself and don't be a stranger--keep us posted. We care.
AddEmoticons00916.gif

Good for you. Glad to hear that you're coming along so well.

Well, I reached the 6 month mark, since my last post I have been in for ex rays, I was having some pain in the inner lower part of the right knee, was unable to walk with out a lot of pain.Ex rays looked fine, I feel like I over did , twisted or turned wrong . I am also still having a burning sensation in both knees, my OS finally said that maybe they had the tourniquets on to tight, and is still hoping it will go away, I have to go back in 8 weeks. I am working part time, found a job I really like, but boy when I get tired I hit a brick wall and can't seem to go any further without resting. I started out this BTKR so good, and feel like I am still slipping backwards, one other thing bothering me is the weight I put on, tried being strict and watching what I was eating for 2 weeks, and to no avail, its like my body is holding on to the pounds. Grrrr sorry to be so down it just seems to have gotten harder lately then better. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

My biggest suggestion would be to take it easy on yourself. Recovery from a TKR can take a long time and you have had TWO surgeries! Some of us just don't pop right back. Actually, you are well within the range of normal...especially since you are back at work. That plus your daily routine is a lot of activity and it takes a toll. Just be sure to rest as much as you can. It will always be a help. You'll be able to address the weight issue in time. Just do the best you can right now to watch what you eat and drink lots of water.

Well I have been lurking in the shadows, haven't left you all completely, reading this forum has helped me greatly by answering many questions I have had. I am a little over a month away from having 1 year under my belt. I am still having some discomfort once in awhile in the knees, but all in all its been the best thing I ever did for myself. A couple questions though, did any of you suffer back problems? and did any of you have trouble getting the weight to start dropping off afterwards? I feel like my body is still some what in stress mode! And I am back to work pretty much full time now, love the new job and enjoying Christmas shopping, and exercising at Any Time Fitness. Keep a pep in your step a smile on your face and a song in your heart!

Hey, Wubby!

We are almost the same "age" - I had my btkr on Jan 10, 2012. I agree with you that it was the best thing I could have done, and also that it isn't a total magic bullet. As my recovery progresses and I become more active, I've had challeges with different other body parts - feet, IT bands, low back. Right now, it's my mid back that's grumpy. If the problem lasts more than a week or two, I check in with my ortho or PT about it, and so far, it hasn't been serious - I just have to moderate my activity until I work through that particular hitch. And although I am losing weight, it's not dramatic. More slow and steady. The difference in size is more dramatic. I think my body composition is changing, so I can lose a clothing size without dropping more than a pound or two.

Best to you, hope your recover continues to go well!

La

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks
Back