8 months into healing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppyfields

Hi everyone......... have been absent for some time as have been busy getting on with life without pain and immobility:) Just wanted to touch base with everyone and see how you all are and update you on me.

I have been swimming ( breast stroke) since week 11 post op. Now walking up to five miles comfortably. After all my post op worry about when I could get down and put on shoes etc have been putting socks, shoes etc on for months now with no problems and the 90 degree rule just seems to go out of my mind and find myself doing all sorts of things because I forget I have an implant :spin:Can even give myself a pedicure and paint my toenails! Have been sleeping on operated side since month four very comfortably and on the unoperated side dispensed with the pillow between the knees at about month six. Have no pain or discomfort whatsoever and have had none since month four post op.

Only thing I am wary of is heavy digging, or any digging in the garden, because I am aware the post area is still healing so do not want to do any damage at this stage as all the healing is going well.

Just want to encourage all of you just this side of post op who think they will never be free of pain or discomfort and life will never be the same again, that it does happen and life is great!!

I have even lost over a stone in weight ( which I put on post op because of the limitations of movement. )

Busy with grandchildren and running around and on the floor with them....... hip, what hip?:egypdance:

Poppy, these the reports that bring so much hope and good cheer to those in the earlier stages who are wondering if and when they will feel great again. Thanks for updating. Especially the grandchildren on the floor part....I can get down there...just not too agile at getting up yet. :)

Sharon

Fabulous update! I am so happy things are going well for you. Don't be a stranger!

Great to hear! Being only at week two, it is nice to see what should be in my future :)

Poppyfields Your post was just what I needed to read today! I'm eight weeks out and doing great but beginning to wonder if and when I'll ever be just normal again.
:thankyou:

Why hello Poppy, how wonderful to hear from you and with such a great update.. Please come back and visit soon :)

nerdgirl and sissy....... I am so pleased you have found encouragement in my words which is what the intention was:) I remember vividly the post op few weeks and the despair I felt that I would never be free of pain or discomfort, my mobility would never return to pre hip problems etc etc
It is amazing really, retrospectively, how quickly the healing takes place and how each day brings more and more mobility and freedom and suddenly you are 'normal' without realising it!
I had hundreds of questions and the wonderful people here were so patient in answering them or pointing me to the great 'library' of information which was so comforting. I believe that knowledge is power:yes!:

The one thing I forgot to mention in my post was about climbing stairs. We park in a certain car park when we go to town and usually on the fourth floor. I am fine climbing to the third level but the last level is hard going. I presume it is because the muscles needed in the buttock area are still healing and the upward climbing movement is one which takes more time to sort itself out?

Thank you all:thankyou:

Sharon, forget to add just for you........ you will get there and it took me some time to get the courage to try to get down on the floor to begin with! Once I did I never looked back..... am sure the getting up will get easier with time:friends:I roll onto my hands and knees and get up from that position. Hope it helps:)

Hi everyone...... just wanted to say I had my one year ( a few weeks early!) hospital check on the new hip today. The x rays showed everything had healed well and was in the correct place ( always helps:) )

Just wanted to share and encourage those of you in the early stages of post op recovery that you WILL get here.... I despaired in the early days:sos: Life is back to normal and has been for some months. Still swimming ( breast stroke!) three times a week and have been away on holiday several times although have not done a longhaul as yet. Running around with grandchildren having a lovely time. Life is great!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well.:flwrysmile:

Hi...thanks for the inspiration I am one week postop...so great news...clifford

Congrats! This is great to hear! So excited to get to where you are.

Hi ..I am one week postop and making steady progress...take care clifford

Great update poppy, so lovely to hear what a great success your surgery was.

Take care

Ann

Thanks smrt2run....... very early days for you with both replaced...... how are you doing?

Slow and steady with my progress. I really cannot complain, except I don't sleep anymore despite always being tired. Already doing things that were impossible presurgery.

smrt2run..... good to hear progressisng slowly and steadily with the healing......sleep? Are you still on your back?
I always found a herbal tea like mint or a special night blend was helpful, reading a good book or listening to calming music helped me drift off in the early days when exhausted but difficulty with sleeping on my back.

Strangely, having had to sleep on my back for the first three months, I find myself on my back these days and it is a very comfortable position! This from someone who never, pre op, slept on her back!

Poppyfields Thank you for the encouraging words that you posted. I am 5 days post op, so far I am doing pretty well. I feel so lucky that my pain meds are working to where I feel no pain it has been at 0 since the operation. I have been getting 7-8 hours of sleep everyday I haven't had that in years. My goal today when my sisters get here is to take a shower that is going to be a challenge for me. Normally I would just stick with a sponge bath but sheesh the hair look like ****.....lol

Hi Poppyfields It has been great reading your thread as you are doing everything I would like to do in time ie.walking 5 miles, swimming and running around with grandchildren My grandson is almost 6 months so a year from now he will be toddling Walking was my main interest before I developed hip pain and has been put on hold for 2 and a half years and although I did some swimming before my surgery it was in front crawl . I had my right hip replaced a month ago and so far it has been a real roller coaster ride but I feel like I have just turned the corner and can see some improvements.So thank you for taking the time to post it's very encouraging for many of us in the early post op stages to read how you are living life to the full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015