TKR 5 weeks today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am five weeks out today, on a total left knee replacement. Gave up walker at three days. Use cane now. ROM is 106. Therapy twice a week. Have trouble sleeping at night and feel tired. My appetite is so so but overall am doing well. Just wondering how long the pain lasts. It is much better and I am on less pain meds but can hardly wait to be off completely. I had bone on bone issues.

You sound similar to me...I can tell you I am using my cane much less now and have been off the real meds since about three weeks out. Don't stop icing and elevating...the lack of sleep is killing me, but I hope it will get better soon. Good luck

Becky is right!!! Those zingers are your nerves reconnecting. It's really common to have those feelings. They don't last forever. When they occur, try to rub the area that feels the pain and that may help a little.

I am almost seven weeks out. Had a rough night. Could not get comfortable and having some pain. Feel really down this morning and somewhat irritable. Good thing my husband is at work and the dogs can listen to me grumble. I do not feel ill, just tired and need sleep. Should I still be taking pain meds. Late at night and around four a.m. are the worst for pain. Thanks for listening.

I am almost seven weeks out. Had a rough night. Could not get comfortable and having some pain. Feel really down this morning and somewhat irritable. Good thing my husband is at work and the dogs can listen to me grumble. I do not feel ill, just tired and need sleep. Should I still be taking pain meds. Late at night and around four a.m. are the worst for pain. Thanks for listening.
Your pain meds are for pain, you have pain, take your pain meds.
Seven weeks is still very early in your recovery, and you will continue to need them for awhile. When you are ready, you will forget to take them.
Referee posted some links for you, check out the first one on pain meds.
All the best,

beledi, Pumpkln is sooooo right. DO NOT be in pain---TAKE YOUR MEDS. Some of us have needed pain meds for up to 3 to 4 months. Some stop really early because they're very lucky or they're just willing to put up with being in pain.

You need your sleep---it's really important in the healing process---and you certainly feel much better when you've had a decent night's sleep.
So take you meds a little before you go to bed; and if you wake in the night in pain, take some more!

It's a long, long way to recovery, and you need to be good to yourself and your knee along the way. So follow the BoneSmart mantra: take meds on a schedule, rest a lot, elevate, and ice, ice, ice. Don't allow painful PT--must mildly uncomfortable. Make a note of every little milestone and improvement along the way. That way when you're feeling like you're getting nowhere, you can pull out your list and see that you have "come a long way, baby."

Take care of yourself and your knee and keep us posted. We care.

Will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Anyone else out there at this stage? How do you feel? I cut way back on my Norco,use it at bedtime, but utilize Ibuprofin a couple times a day. Have the tight band on the front of my knee and still having trouble sleepings, but not as bad as previous. I feel a lack of energy though. Knee still has swelling.

If you are going to cut back on your prescription pain meds (and I'm not sure that's a good idea for you at this very early stage of recovery), then you probably should be adding some Tylenol to your ibuprofen. You can take up to 4000mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in 24 hours. Be sure and count all sources, as it is an additive in a lot of over the counter meds. Be sure you take 1000mg when you take a dose or it doesn't work very well. You can take it with your ibuprofen as they help each other.

Beledi, I had my R TKR on April 2nd so about the same as you. Sounds to me that you are doing really well. I'm still taking pain meds at bedtime as surgeon believes it's important for me to get sleep, I go of to sleep ok but still waking two or three times during the night to try and get comfortable, will be so glad when I finally sleep through. Daytime I'm just taking paracetamol (1000 mg) when my knee starts feeling uncomfortable. I find the pain is more of a constant ache.
I'm doing daily chores around the house, not as many as I would like but keeping up with all the basics, cooking, washing, ironing etc and walking around a fair bit, I make sure that I sit down and elevate my knee for at least half an hour once I have been on it for an hour or so.
I'm going to outpatients rehab twice a week and doing, gym and hydro therapy as well as a session with physiotherapist, as well as doing my gentle exercises and sretching at home everyday. I am struggling with my ROM although PT isn't too concerned yet as she says it's improving each week even though it is slow, I'm only getting 90. My quads are really weak and exercise therapist is concentrating on getting them stronger over next few weeks.
My knee is still swollen and I'm in bed earlier than I used to be before the operation as I tire much easier now but from what I've read that is normal and it takes a long time to recover from this surgery, so I'm happy to spend the next twelve months making sure I get the best recovery possible. I'm really glad that I had the surgery as I put it of for years until I felt "ready" and it's not as bad as I thought it would be, can honestly say my only real worry at the moment is my ROM, can almost get extension straight just need a little bit more there.

Beledi. At 8 weeks you are right where I was! Tight band around both knees, trouble sleeping, tire easily. Guess what? It's going to get better with each passing week. Make sure you write about your milestones, however small! That helped me keep my spirits up!

Hugs!

Twelve weeks out today. Have a better week so far. Not getting up at three or four a.m. in pain and needing to walk the floor. Went back to my Volunteer job at the Police Dept., yesterday. I set my own schedule. Therapy twice a week. Insurance still paying most of it, so why not reap the extra benefits since I do not work. I am retired. My Therapists are really nice. Plus, I have lost ten pounds. I am trying to eat better. I am five foot ten, slight build, and now at 190 pounds.
Was so discouraged at four weeks. So nice things are seeming better.

Thirteen weeks the 4th. Great nights sleep last night. Hope it stays that way. How long do most people take Physical Therapy?

It certainly is great to get that good night's sleep! That is awesome!​
I was in PT for nearly four months, but I had some differing objectives that I needs to accomplish in terms of what I wanted to do. PT is an individual thing for everyone---you go as long as you need to. Life then becomes PT!​

If you are going to cut back on your prescription pain meds (and I'm not sure that's a good idea for you at this very early stage of recovery), then you probably should be adding some Tylenol to your ibuprofen. You can take up to 4000mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in 24 hours. Be sure and count all sources, as it is an additive in a lot of over the counter meds. Be sure you take 1000mg when you take a dose or it doesn't work very well. You can take it with your ibuprofen as they help each other.
It certainly is great to get that good night's sleep! That is awesome!​
I was in PT for nearly four months, but I had some differing objectives that I needs to accomplish in terms of what I wanted to do. PT is an individual thing for everyone---you go as long as you need to. Life then becomes PT!​
Sounds I've nerves waking up to me!:dancy:

I'm at 9 days and only have 90degrees with the help of pt had 92 in hospital. I have not had one night of restless sleep. I take o hydroodone at 9:30, 1:30 and5:30 am I love my sleep time. :). I start on back for a while then go to side with small pillow or rolled up bedcover between legs. I normally go to bathroom at 1:30 pill but fll right back to sleep after5:30 pills. I want mt rom to improve more.

Thirteen weeks out on the 4th of July. Have slept well the last three nights. No three in the morning pain and stiffness. Took a four hour car ride to the mountains, yesterday. Did some light hiking in an old cemetary. Used a walking staff. Did well and felt good. No pain this morning. Think I have turned a corner towards the uphill side, whoopee.

desismileys_0085.gif
Cheers are in order here! Great update!
c03.gif
And sleeping all night long---and you thought it would never come! Are you about ready to say that this is one of the best things you ever did? I hope so. Things are really looking good!
sSig_wowspring.gif
Keep up the good work.

14 weeks. 118 Extension and -2 Flexion. Almost perfect. Proud of myself. Therapist and doctor want 120 Extension and 0 Flexion.

I am five weeks out today, on a total left knee replacement. Gave up walker at three days. Use cane now. ROM is 106. Therapy twice a week. Have trouble sleeping at night and feel tired. My appetite is so so but overall am doing well. Just wondering how long the pain lasts. It is much better and I am on less pain meds but can hardly wait to be off completely. I had bone on bone issues.
Hi holly ,
so did i, bone to boneplus OA we tryed ortovisco injections but they didnt work it got worst, so that is when they decided to do tkr on my right knee it has been 6 weeks almost 7 i am doing great i am in water theraphy 2 times a week and i excersise at home the other days --meds have been lowered they also gave me voltraen gel it is grreat for u r muscles as u work out instead of the ones in the stores still plenty of ice and rest when u can it is importent what ever u do DO NOT OVER DO IT it takes time but i know and been told i am doing great dont rush recovery take it asfast or as slow as u r knee lets u u do
GOOD LUCK
CHERYL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks