TKR 4 wks post op, slow recovery, but getting there

We didn't bother with social services as I'll be back on my feet by the time they get around to 'assessing me' for a walker (a few years ago when I wanted to progress from a walking frame to elbow crutches following major hip surgery, I was told I would need to be assessed and the next available appointment was in six months time. We bought the crutches online instead...).

As for St John's Ambulance, and also the Red Cross, we tried them but they don't supply walkers to hire in our area.

Perhaps it is wise to buy one then. I am certain there will be patients after you who will be willing to pay almost the same price you payed for one once you are all healed. With the aging population and increase of knee replacements, you can be sure to sell it.

I was sorry to read all you have gone through. Be sure to make notes, or have your husband do so, with dates, who said what etc. so that you can then report the poor care if it should ever come up. I too got some scary advice from the station doctors right after the operation. I was prepared by Bonesmart and my OS who said: first month you just heal, then you start with gentle PT.

VW54, don't worry I'm very good at collecting/making medical notes as, sadly, I had to sue for medical negligence when my first THR got infected.

Hope Vienna is still as wonderful as I remember it back in 1989. I celebrated my 21st birthday in Austria so it does have some special memories for me x

Gertieprickles, it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

At this point how is your knee? Does is still buckle? Mine did for the first time s/p partial bicompartment patella 3 days out and I'm freaking out because my hamstring is unbelievably weak now!
Thanks in advance
Gigi

Hi there.

First of all many thanks to all of you who helped me with my knee giving way. You really were a life saver.....

Having given up on the physio and had lots and lots of rest the swelling came down dramatically. I've been given a leg splint to stop my knee from giving away when I walk and that has really helped.

My scar wound is still oozing a little in one particular place. Last Thursday the hospital took a swab and did a blood test and I've not heard back from them, which they said they would if anything untoward was found, so I'm hopeful it's just normal post op weeping.

If I'm honest I would have liked to have been further in with my recover (I'm an impatient patient!!!) but given the problems I've had, I know it is just going to take time.

Sorry about your setback, and hopefully no news is good news where your swab test is concerned. Take care!

@Gertieprickles, you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

Hi, @Gertieprickles .... I'm so sorry that you've had all these problems with your knee. But it definitely sounds like you're on the right track now.

You know, reading what all you've been through, I feel like you should purchase a walker and keep it available to use both now and for any potential problems in the future. It is so much better for stability than crutches and will allow you to regain your confidence when walking. You don't need to think of it as going backwards in your recovery. Just keep in mind that you want to have the most successful recovery possible. Being confident is part of that. After all, it's difficult to concentrate on your gait and the walking process itself if you are constantly worrying about your knee buckling and a potential fall.

I used my walker for a good 3 months. Obviously I didn't need it as much in those latter weeks, but it was what enabled me to begin walking with a normal gait around the house. Having that extra stability allows you to take longer strides which is critical for recovery.

Remember that you are in the very early stages of your recovery. Things can proceed very slowly for most of us and we just have to be patient. It's tough because we all wanted to be better ..... NOW! Hang in there and let us know how you're getting along.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian
Recent bookmarks
Back