3 months post op from lthr

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgarrig

Hi All,
i am just coming up to 3 months post op from left total hip replacement, and thought i was doing ok, but in the last few weeks have been having pain in right hip and groin, i was told i would need both hips replacing but was hoping to leave the other hip for at least 12 months, but it looks like thats not going to happen now, i will probably need to have it done sooner, maybe this is why i have sunk into a very deep depression, as i feel like i am back to where i was 12 months ago, being limited to what i can do again, feel like i can't face the other op, as i was "left to get on with it" after i left the hospital, with no information about recovery and pain meds, but at lest i will know a bit more about it next time.
Sorry to be a moaner, but thats for listening.
Take Care All.

Hi
I guessed as soon as I read your post that you came from the UK. I too was sent home from hospital on the 4th day with very little information or backup and as I live on my own I felt totally isolated if a problem arose.
I had a TLHR on November 27th and was told beforehand that the other hip would need replacing in the future.
As they sent me home with nearly 4cms leg length difference I have found recouperating very difficult and my stay in hospital was not a good experience either so I can understand your reluctance to go back in in the near future.
I am certainly going through the post op 'blues' stage but hang on to the thought that things will get better and that Spring will be here before long and I will appreciate being able to get out more (once they sort out my LLD)
Hang in there - Things will get better and I'm sure its probably the strain that your 'good' leg is under at the moment whilst you are recovering that is causing so many problems. Maybe things will quieten down as you become more mobile.
Best wishes to you

Never fear, BoneSmart is here! We'll see you through, cgarrig and timsmum. Post here often and we will be right in there with you.

:cnsl: :cnsl: :cnsl: :cnsl: :cnsl: :cnsl:

Hi timsmum,
Thank You for your message, its so nice to know that other people are out there for you, the post op blue days are sometimes worst than others, but yes i must be positive and think that once i have had the other op there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and things will only get better.
Thank You once again and take care.

I too am three months post left hip replacement. In the UK we seem to just get thrown out of hospital to get on with it. This site was a real life saver for me when I got out of hospital. I really don't know what I would have done without it.
Sorry that your right hip seems to be bad now - maybe it is just a blip like Timsmum said.

cgarrig.....we're always here to fill in the blanks once you leave the hospital. You can come here and vent....ask questions, discuss concerns. We'll always listen and cheer you up on those days when you're blue. We all had them in recovery....especially facing a second surgery. I'm sure it seems like it's never going to end. But it will. And at the end you'll have a wonderful new life filled with all the activity you have wanted to do. Don't delay on that second replacment. The sooner you get it, the sooner you're on your way to that goal.

Hi All,
Thank You for your messages, you have really cheered me up, and i agree about this brilliant site, i have learned so much from reading about others experiances.
Thank You again for your support.
Take Care.

I, too, am in the U.K. and like you had to find my own way to recovery. I am just amazed at how different I am at 14 weeks from 12 weeks. All of a sudden my leg began to feel more a part of me and definitely stronger. I find that recovery goes in spurts and stops and when you have a stop you do worry that this is as good as it gets.
Never under estimate the power of the human body to heal itself.
One of the reasons you will be blue now is because we are in the depths of a nasty Winter and can't venture outside on to treacherous pavements. Spring will come and your spirits will lift.
If you need your other hip doing then you can comfort yourself that this time you will know the ropes and that when that is done you will be a new woman. The fact that you will have it done sooner rather than later could turn out to be a blessing. After all, it just means you are restored to full mobility sooner rather than later so hold fast to that thought.

Pauline.

Hi folks
I haven't posted anything for a while but reading this thread just made me want to have a little moan. I too am coming up to my 3mth post op date and am feeling decidedly disappointed. I'm aware that the pain in my hip seems to have improved(FANTASTIC!!), but now I have pain elsewhere: Trochanter, scar, muscles in backside. I have seen my surgeon for my 8wk check up and he doesn't seem at all worried about my progress. Something just doesn't feel right. I'm still not sleeping well, tossing and turning all night, struggle to put shoes and socks on and I can't walk for longer than 15mins without feeling the need to sit down.
If someone had told me it would be a 6mth- 1yr recovery then I wouldn't feel so disappointed. I was told 2-4mths.
The after care seems much better in the States. I feel I've been left to get on with it. No help, no advice and no physio. And I went private!!
I've just been told to walk and swim and if things haven't improved at 4mths then my surgeon will see me again. I'm sure he thinks I'm an over sensitive worrier but I'm known for my high pain threshold and I also know my own body and something just doesn't feel right. At the moment I'm feeling a lot worse than I did before the op and I'm left wondering if I made the right decision to have it done.
Anyway enough of the self pity, just wanted to get a few things off my chest!
I'm hoping things will improve over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Happy New Year to everyone

Queenie xx

Queenie, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not feeling as good as you expected at this stage of recovery. Sometimes it does happen this way and recovery takes more than just a few months. This is really major surgery, after all. LOTS of things were done to your body and it takes a while for it to readjust itself.

You aren't alone! You've got us!!! We'll be here to address any concerns you have and to give you a hug when you're feeling down. We understand because we've all been through this recovery period too!

I do think your surgeon is right. You need to exercise in moderation and allow some more time for your body to do its thing. There is no "magic bullet" to make it heal faster.

Try and focus on the things that ARE better right now in your life and the good things that are to come. And don't hesitate to come here to vent if you need to. It's pretty common to feel frustrated at this stage of recovery and just want to get on with it!

Listening and a great big (((HUG)))) for you too!!! I care about you!

Queenie, are you taking pain meds for your discomfort? 3 or even 6 months is not at all uncommon for continuing pain. I do wish doctors/surgeons wouldn't be so darned optimistic about these things!

Hi All,
Queenie, i could of written every word you wrote, i am so glad that some one is feeling exactly the way i am feeling but really not if you know what i mean, i think one of the reasons is that i had just built up my walking (can't swim, so walking i is good for me and my dog), i was doing well untill we got all this snow and have been unable to get out, so being stuck in the house going stir crazy has'nt helped at all, feel a bit more positive this morning as i am going to doctors today to get signed off to go back to work part time, i think this is what i need and feel it would do me a world of good, i am only taking paracetomol at the moment, because my doctors makes me feel that i should'nt be on pain meds now, but as i said the other hip is begining to play up, so i will see if he can give me something a bit stronger to help me get through the first few weeks of going back to work.
I have not seen my surgon since the op, i saw one of his colleagues 3 weeks post op, which i felt was a waste of time, (by the way i still had had my staples in then), i did have a few issues with post op, but will write about those again if i see anyone else write about post op, but yes i agree with you Queenie, the after care here in the uk is not very good at all.
Can i just say that i am so very pleased that i have found this site, it has been a life line for me, don't know how i would have coped without all the support i have been given from everyone.
Take Care All,
Love Christine.

Christine, here's a big (((HUG)))) for you. Recovery from such major surgery can be frustrating sometimes. I completely understand how you feel. Don't ever hesitate to post here when you're having a down day or two. We understand. I'm so glad you feel that the forum has been of benefit to you. We'll always be here!!

Actually, I missed the fact that you'd gone private. I have never been impressed with the after care private patients get in this country. They miss out on the support structures like physio, social services and such.

And for the most part, private hospitals don't have resident medical staff so poor you if anything untoward occurs during your early post-op phase! You have to wait while the surgeon finishes his operation list, clinic, meal or whatever and gets over to the nursing home to attend to you. Could be an hour or more. :doh:

Hi Cgarrig(Christine)
I'm in similar situation as you. I had LTHP 3mths ago and have been advised to have other hip done in March. I have Osteoarthritis. My left hip was much more painful then my right so I had that one operated on first(hoping that I could postpone the other hip for a few years!!)
My surgeon told me that as soon as the new hip started to heal then I would feel the pain coming through from my other hip. Apparently the brain can only deal with a certain amount of pain at a time. Perhaps this has happened to you.
This probably isn't going to help much, but right now there is NO WAY I'm having the other hip 'done' in March. I've told anyone that loves me that I'm gonna be crawling on my hands and knees before I put myself through this again!!
To be honest the pain isn't as bad as the emotional rollercoaster I've been on. The worry, the endless tears, lying to everyone that you're fine when you're not. I feel that I'm living in my own self pity bubble and I hate it.
My surgeon doesn't seem remotely bothered and will only take my 'problems' seriously at the 4mth mark.
I have asked him if I should have some physio but he says no. I'm walking ok but have still got severe pain after walking for 15mins and pain around the Trochanter most of the time. Could I have a fracture somewhere?
I feel my lovely husband is running out of patience with me and I'm running out of patience with my two gorgeous girls(8 and 11). It's a horrible situation.
My stay in hospital was great. The nurses were wonderful. But the aftercare is nonexistant. NOT IMPRESSED!!
Hopefully I'll get more help at the 4mth mark, til then I'll try and stay as positive as I can, but it ain't easy.

Josephine, does everyone get offered physio on the NHS?

Trying to stay a glass half full.

Queenie xx

Queenie, I bet you have bursitis if it's over your trochanter. It's not a fracture but the pain is sharp and intense just like one. The pain can radiate all down your thigh and sometimes past the knee. It's a very common problem after THR and has been discussed at length elsewhere in this forum.

The bursas are the blue and red bag thingys in this image.

awww.physioworks.com.au_images_Injuries_Conditions_troch.bursa.jpg

Have you been to see your GP with this? Maybe he can give you a cortisone shot in the bursa to help make the issue quieten down. Otherwise, try taking some ibuprofen with whatever pain meds you have. This kind of thing can be very wearing and I fully understand why you feel it's the pits.

And why do you have to lie about not feeling great? None of us, hip or knee, feel great going through this ordeal. Are you trying to do your housework and look after the family as normal? If so, you are not doing yourself any favours and will make this situation last a lot longer.

As for getting offered physio, the simple facts are that, with or without, outcomes are about the same. It's been well documented in professional circles. At the hip symposium I attended last September, surgeons were all saying they have stopped being physio intensive because patients do just as well without provided they are being suitably mobile. The problem with a forum like this is you get our American friends who (forgive me folks) go all out in their PT so we end up thinking it is essential and the norm. It isn't and the findings here in the UK and a few other European countries, have proven so. I know France, Spain and Italy don't offer much in the way of post-op physio for hips or knees either and they too, have results as good as any other. But it's a personal thing and a cultural thing, so I'm not casting any brickbats, just trying to explain why we do things a bit differently here in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom