TKR 2 Years and stiff

It's been 6 six weeks today and I love my new knee. Not so fond of the achiness/pain from the surgery that I still have, the trouble sleeping and bouts of depression but I know all of this will pass in time.

At 6 weeks after PKR should I have pain when my leg is straight?

I think it's normal at 6 weeks to still have pains like this.
You're not trying to elevate with your leg completely straight, are you? Because that does hurt and it's not necessary.

I was not too sure if I should keep it completely straight, which hurts. I am glad to hear that it is not necessary to do so. Thank you

Shoot, I'm 7 weeks out and my still hurts to keep it completely straight. They say that in time the extension will come. As long as we can walk without a limp, I think it's OK. I'm about a 3 and it doesn't bother me except I still have to sleep with a pillow under my knee in bed.

I have been able to cut back my pain med, Norco 7.5/325 to two a day, one around 11am and the second one at bedtime. Yesterday I felt really good, no pain and skipped them. As I was trying to fall asleep I had the thought "hope I can sleep without the Norco" and it went down hill from there. I could not stop worrying about not being able to sleep without the pills. It was one ugly night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my six week post surgery check this morning and the doctor was very pleased with my progress.

I mentioned the last nights insomnia after not taking the Norco at all yesterday. I felt I did not need it and the instructions say to take as needed. My doctor said my response to not taking it occurs frequently. He said I was not addicted but dependent. In addition to insomnia I feel a little edgy.
He prescribed Ambien for a few nights and if I did not like that because if the side effects to take Tylenol PM.
I told him I did not want to take the pain meds anymore and he suggested 2-500mg of Tylenol up to 3 times a day. I am worried about the side effects of the Ambien but the pharmacist said I could split the pill in half at first and to avoid alcohol.
I thought I could avoid this problem by taking the meds as needed, according to the instructions.
I feel so ashamed.

My gosh. You have nothing to be ashamed about! Quite the opposite. You are bravely facing one of the most difficult surgery recoveries. I'm almost five weeks out and also feel edgy and not sleeping. I think it's narcotics withdrawal. I'm just taking Advil now. And trying to get my systems regulated again. Congrats on an excellent check up.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@barnmom, everyone has problems sleeping after this surgery. I doubt yours is because of withdrawal. I think it's because you had a TKR! You have been on the narcotics long enough to experience withdrawals.

@Lindilu there is absolutely nothing for any of us to feel ashamed about for needing pain meds after this major surgery, we didn't have a tooth pulled... I'm 6 weeks post -op and there are days when I may need something more than Tylenol and I take it without a guilt.

Each person is different and some may need pain meds longer than others.

There is no shame needing pain meds. It took me a while to try to get my sleep times straightened out and I had stopped taking narcotics for several weeks. For me I felt that my body was trying to finally get regulated again.

It's been 10 weeks and I love my new knee! Still having some mild (for the most part) pain, especially when I am getting up from chair/sofa and while turning in bed, but nothing like it was.

There is a family celebration in October in Connecticut, I live in South Carolina. It would be a car trip of about 800 miles. We would do it in two days, stopping often to stretch. I really want to go. I would be 4 months since the replacement.
Have any of you done any long trips since your surgeries?

I haven't made that long of a trip but I've found my limit to drive at one time to be about 2 hours and then I have to stretch my knee. I'm sure with making several stops along the way you should be fine. You should also pack some ice wraps in a cooler.

Good luck with your trip! I am the driver for an annual 800 mile trip my housemate and I do at thanksgiving. I told him I'll have to see how it goes, since I'll be 7 weeks out by then, he might end up flying this year. If we do drive, I'm going to plan four days instead of the usual 2. I hope yours goes well.

If you have someone else that can drive- elevating in the back seat would be good too. Even if it means traveling light or a car top carrier for the 'stuff'! The more you recover now as in not putting too much activity on your recovering knee the better that trip will go! How fun to have a family celebration to look forward to! Keep us posted! = )

2 Years and stiff

Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz My husband will be doing most of the driving and since it's just the two of us there will be plenty of room. My niece is having her daughter baptized and is having a party after. Looking forward to seeing family, some I have not seen is far too long. My sister had a hip replacement last August, we can compare scars!

Good luck with your trip! I am the driver for an annual 800 mile trip my housemate and I do at thanksgiving. I told him I'll have to see how it goes, since I'll be 7 weeks out by then, he might end up flying this year. If we do drive, I'm going to plan four days instead of the usual 2.
Even taking 4 days, I think this will be too much for a knee so new. If you were going to be the passenger, I'd say OK, but don't try it as the driver. I found that my knee got very stiff and sore after about half an hour of driving.

I am having a bit more pain and swelling today, not much but it's there. I have not done anything unusual. Is this normal? I am 10 weeks out.

It is normal to have ups and downs in your recovery. Swelling can continue to some degree for up to a year or even more to some degree.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks