• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR #2 THR - Rough Go This Time Around

Dc67

Country
United States United States
Hi folks,

So I just had my right side done Tuesday. The surgeon did warn me that all arthroplasties are different, as far as how we react to them, and he was right about that! This time around it was/is more painful, with a lot of snapping/popping sensations going on when I walk using crutches, as well as a VERY sharp pain when attempting to take steps around the house. I can stand on it with 50% weight for now, but anything beyond that I am suddenly leaning on my crutches in bad pain. This is also happening going up steps, it zaps me when I take weight off my good leg to step up. Is this a normal symptom given how recently the procedure was done? It's a really sharp pain, centered towards the upper front side of the hip. I am reading about how some of you have had cracked femurs and other issues, and it's freaking me out! I will be in touch with them soon, just wanted to know if I've got legit reasons for concern or if this just the implant settling in. I'm the paranoid type! :(

Hello @Dc67 - and :welome:

It's very early in your recovery and I think the symptoms you're having are normal.

Do make sure that you are taking your pain medications on a regular schedule, so you have continuous coverage.

If you had suffered a broken bone during surgery, your surgeon would have told you, so you can dismiss that fear.

Please will you tell us the full date of your first knee replacement , so we can add that to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are our recovery guidelines, to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you for the reassurance! My first THR was in Feb 2017. I've only been taking the Norco at night, because I don't really like the wooziness and nausea I get from it. That said, I've been taking 1000 MG of Tylenol every 6 hours.

Thank you again.

Thank you for the Left THR's date.

Tylenol, taken regularly as you are doing, will provide some continuous pain relief, as long as you don't overdo your activity.

@Dc67 Sounds like you are under medicated. Tylenol may take the edge off. But it really does not address that early post op pain. You might want to call your surgeon's office and ask for an alternative to the Norco.

You may be right. Still very sore, and I need to continually remind myself that this isn't an overnight process, despite this not being my first THR rodeo. I'm still fresh out from surgery. I am going to get out and get into the nice weather today, this should lift my spirits some!

More proof - literally every THR is different - even on the same person. Ice and elevate as much as you can. Fresh air and sunshine will indeed lift your spirits. Time to baby that new hip until it is ready.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been over the past month? Please share an update on your progress. We’d love to read all about it. Hope to hear from you soon.
Happy Friday! :)
@Dc67

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sinister17
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom