1 Year Hip Anniversary for YoungM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungM

graduate
Hi everyone,

It has been quite some time that I posted on this board. I still pop on and read some posts, but it's just too overwhelming to keep up with all of them in the midst of everything else in life! But if it wasn't for bonesmart, I wouldn't have gotten through my pre and post recovery days!!!

So let's see...

I am feeling great and doing great (for those of you who don't know me, I'm 28 years old, had a right hip replacement at 27 on March 17, 2009 (yes, on St. Patty's day -I was afraid my doctor would be celebrating and drinking! hehe).

It is absolutely amazing how I can walk without pain -it is quite invigorating! I never thought I would be able to take zumba class!

I have to say my scar is still a little thick in size -it doesn't look like a straight thin line like everyone else's....mine is a little thicker and still a little pink in color....i don't mind, just an observation.

I see my doctor next week for my 1 year follow-up appoint. I'll let you know how I do.

For the most part I am feeling great, however, I do have some stiffness in my groin area and hamstrings at times -I guess it's still my weak muscles waking up?

I can't complain -compared to what I used to be, this is amazing. Life is good! :wahey:

~Melissa

Im glad everything is going well for you! I have a LTHR in 12 days and I hope to get back to my active lifestyle. At least being able to go n walks again. Stories like your are encouraging, thanks for sharing.

That's wonderful to hear Melissa! From all your posts on Facebook you never seem to sit still! I sometimes get tired just reading about all you do!:hehe: Which is what it is all about I guess..........! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well - I'm sure you'll get a glowing report from your OS!

And it is great to see you on here again...........! :cockt:

Hi, Melissa! Boy, I would worry about you if you spent lots of time on an online forum. You have LOTS of living to do with that new hip of yours!!! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well. As you know, we always enjoy hearing from you and I hope you have time to let us know what the doctor says at your appointment.

Best of luck to you and HAVE FUN!!!

Melissa! My sweetie - how lovely to hear from you. I'm delighted to hear from you and know that you are getting along ok. Sadly, odd aches and pains are inevitable, even at 12 months. But they can still settle so don't worry. So many of us have been posting 12 month reports! Doesn't time fly!

Melissa--Nice to hear from someone I recall from 1 year ago. I'm glad you are doing great. I remember well your apprehension and mine. Thank goodness for Josephine, Jamie you (and others in our timeframe), and everyone who helped me through a difficult time. The support we received here was really invaluable. I, too, had my 1 year anniversary and I could not be more pleased. I celebrated with a golf trip in Atlantic City with some old friends, something I would not have been able to do 1 year ago. My wife granted me this small indulgence. It was great fun. My only regret was not having her with me as she surely was with me fro every minute of my hospital stay. Not to worry. This month is my 7 year wedding anniversary and we are going to celebrate!

Hi Tom:

Couldn't help but notice that you've had both hips done and are 52. Ditto. You give me the opportunity to ask just how long it has really taken before you started feeling close to normal? Had my RTHR on 11/21 and my LTHR on 1/29, just 10 weeks apart. Although I'm trying to go back to work next week, I know that it will be quite a bit of therapy on my part before I'm really able to function that way I used to. Everyone seems to be different, and that's why I thought it might be more relevant to ask someone my age that also replace both hips. Sounds as though you are coming along well, and I'm just wondering what is in store for me as I keep healing. YoungM also has a year under her belt and seems to be doing well with a few small caveats. Guess we will all have to learn to deal with the nuances of prosthetic hips, but I hope they are quite minimal going forward. Thanks for your input.

JackT

Hi Jack--First, I recovered pretty quickly. But at about 6 months, I found myself being able to run normally (for short distances) with the dog without feeling our of place. I also was able to ride a bike again without any pain. On December 21, 2009, that's about 8 months out or so, I was able to run with the dog through deep snow. I hadn't been able to lift my knees that high for years. Now that was a good feeling.

Tom, so glad to hear you are doing well! It's nice to hear from the people you shared your worries with and went through the whole process with! Jack, on my 3 month appoint, I told the doctor that my 1 leg still felt longer than the other and it felt "weird". He said if I don't feel "normal" in a couple more months, come back and see him prior to the 1 year. I didn't have to go back -everything fell into place :)

Hi everyone,

It has been quite some time that I posted on this board. I still pop on and read some posts, but it's just too overwhelming to keep up with all of them in the midst of everything else in life! But if it wasn't for bonesmart, I wouldn't have gotten through my pre and post recovery days!!!

So let's see...

I am feeling great and doing great (for those of you who don't know me, I'm 28 years old, had a right hip replacement at 27 on March 17, 2009 (yes, on St. Patty's day -I was afraid my doctor would be celebrating and drinking! hehe).

It is absolutely amazing how I can walk without pain -it is quite invigorating! I never thought I would be able to take zumba class!

I have to say my scar is still a little thick in size -it doesn't look like a straight thin line like everyone else's....mine is a little thicker and still a little pink in color....i don't mind, just an observation.

I see my doctor next week for my 1 year follow-up appoint. I'll let you know how I do.

For the most part I am feeling great, however, I do have some stiffness in my groin area and hamstrings at times -I guess it's still my weak muscles waking up?

I can't complain -compared to what I used to be, this is amazing. Life is good! :wahey:

~Melissa
hi melissa
im 35 & need a THR it should have been done before now but im terrified , i also get a lot of lower back pain & knee & leg pain as a result of my hip.
its great to see someone so young already having had it done & doing so well.
melanie

Melanie,

I am 43 and was terrified also. It is a life changing operation. I have nothing but good things to say. I feel great 10 weeks out and have felt better since the day of the operation. Read through my posts if you have a chance and try not to be scared.

MELISSA!!

Congrats, I remember reading your posts when I first found out I needed surgery. You were one of my inspirations. Glad to hear you are even doing better. I might try one of those Zumba classes Friday!

Laura

Melani -it's normal to be scared, but you have nothing to lose. Whenever I worried about it, I would just think of how much pain I was in and how I didn't want to live my life with a constant pain. (My pain was not awful, but it was not pleasant either). Good luck, you can do it!

Laura -that makes me so happy that I inspired you!!! I'm so glad!! Yes, go for it. I love zumba and it's amazing that I can walk out of class without limping! Feeling great!

Josephine, I haven't found your recovery thread yet. How are you doing? You are at the 1 year mark as well! Sorry for going off topic on this thread, but it's my own, so it's allowed, right ;)

Indeed you are allowed! I'm just fine - thank you for asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom