PKR second shiny new knee

Both knees are doing ok. My new left is settling nicely.
They both get stiff from time to time - don't know why - but nothing too dreadful.
Walking is great - its just sooooo much better than before - I had two terribly wrecked knees and they really, excruciatingly, HURT!

My RPKR was in early 2013 and my LPKR should have followed three months later but a terrible family tragedy prevented this. Hence the left knee was only repaired this year. By then it had deteriorated very, very badly and although my RPKR was good and shoring up the left knee I was still incredibly uncomfortable.
Its a relief to have two new knees and to have that awful bone on bone pain gone.
Yes, there are occasional twings and twangs now but I do feel thats normal during recovery and they settled eventually in my right knee so surely will in this left one.

Now I park as far away from where ever I've driven too and enjoy a walk. I have to remind myself that I don't need to drive to the local shops and just walk there and enjoy the stroll - before I'd have hobbled and it was miserable. Walking the dog a few miles has become a pleasure again.
I'm going to consciously walk much more as I want to lose a few pounds. I'm getting a new bike as a Christmas present as I don't like the riding position of my old road bike and I want to get cycling again with the family.
I definitely walk slower than I used to - but speed will return. Well, I hope it will.

Recently I've done quite a bit of strengthening work on my knees. The wobble board has been great to help everything get thoroughly engaged again. I needed to get my glutes working hard to help the overall engagement so the Swiss ball has come in very handy. My core is stronger too and my return to Pilates will help with everything.
My physio is quite perceptive and she's been great to work with. She is a chartered physio and likes this sort of orthopaedic work. I pay privately for the sessions - its well worth it for me. I've always been very sporty and so I like to have a few physical challenges set and she pushes me.
This, along with my physios purposeful massage has all helped the ITB settle and I've gained a few more degrees of flexion and extension.
This left leg had lost such a huge amount of flexion over the years thats it's slow in gain now - but we feel there is some there still to be had so we are working on it again. (No hard pushing or forcing though.) I knew this leg would be harder work to rehabilitate fully as it was the more damaged knee but its coming along.

Good luck to those recovering bonesmarties. It seems such a long road to recovery to start with after KR but please all - look forward to it all coming good in the end!

I have just started back to regular Pilates, three times a week with a wonderful instructor, it feels like home!!

Great update. You are 4-5 weeks ahead of me but seem to be doing so much more! So good to hear that progress continues to be made and that your knees are behaving.

@Raffs - it will all come, honestly, you will continue to improve. We all gain but at different rates. Sometimes you read about stuff here where people are doing phenomenal things very, very quickly - but its not a race, its crucial to listen to your knees and let them heal.
I'm so keen to get my fitness levels back to being more normal but I know thats going to take some time and I'm still trying to get rid of the extra stone in weight Im carrying. Its harder these days.
There is strong evidence that knee replacements with good muscle and ligament strength and tone surrounding them last longer. That's a reason to eventually get some good fitness work in - cycling and walking will help me I think - its low impact too.
I think my surgeon is correct in saying that I might not get the good flexion I desperately want back in this left knee - its not the new bit that isn't bending its the rest especially where I had a very large Bakers cyst for years! Im going to keep trying and hoping but its certainly not the end of the world if I don't get it all. I'm happy being able to do most things except sitting on my heels!
I don't really think about my knees very much these days. Thats when you know you've turned the corner. Long may they last.

Hi everyone.

Time has passed so quickly. Thought I would just have a quick peek and a catchup.
Lots of new people here of course - its a great place to be.

These knees of mine are doing ok and I am really pleased I had them both sorted. That awful pain is a thing of the past and I can more than cope with the occasional twinge I get in the left one in bed (medial area) - no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can work out. I just ignore it and turn over when it wakes me now and then.

I recently returned from a week in the French Alps - I did two days skiing but it was very busy due to the great snow and conditions and the French school holidays. I saw a number of people involved in nasty collisions and decided it wasn't worth the risk of damaging my new knees. My family were quite shocked at my decision not to ski for the rest of the week but I know it was the right thing to do.
Instead of skiing I went walking with two other women and we averaged about 10 kilometres a day on mountain terrain. It was beautiful and I didn't think about my knees! They were so good - its really amazing to be walking like that and not be in agony.
I go to pilates and Extend Barre classes - both are low impact and I think the Barre classes have really helped strengthen my leg muscles. They are hard classes but I do what I can and think they've been very beneficial.

The surgeon was correct about the bend in my left knee - it's not come back anywhere near as well as the other knee despite my best efforts. Anyhow, I can live with that as it only prevents me sitting on my heels etc - it would be nice if I could but but not doing so is not too limiting. No one notices its lack of bend except me.
Im still heavier than I want to be and Easter eggs are now around....

All in all I'm really, really pleased with my new knees and I've pretty much got my life back.
I walked 6.5 miles in London last Tuesday. My knees were slightly stiff the next day - pavements are harder than snow - but still went to my Barre and Pilates class yesterday. Only a bit of gardening today and house stuff so have given my knees a bit of a rest - my excuse for being lazy.
I am just about to enter the Race for Life and intend to walk the 10k course.

Don't expect immediate perfection in your new knees - some people seem to say they get pretty close but most don't. It takes time.
Remember for most of us it takes quite a while to get back to 'normal'. Over seven months in my case and Im still improving each week.
You have to work at it - but not until you're healing well - that alone took me quite a few months. Having patience and allowing your clever cells to do the healing stuff before you get that knee cracking is a lesson I learnt both times. Overdoing it early on (or later) has repercussions!
My chartered physio was worth every penny. I saw her for a number of weeks, had a break and then went back for a top up. She kept me going and got my leg moving and tracking correctly. Gait is important.

Listen to your body. Ice, elevate and rest for as long as you need to - that might be for ever but so what!
Listen to the experts on Bonesmart and look forward to the time in the months ahead when you suddenly realise life is so much better than it was - thanks to your new knee.

Best regards to everyone. Hopper x

Lovely to hear from you. So pleased to hear you're doing so well. Great update.

Hi @Raffs - glad you are Ok (just had quick read) but sorry you've still got that ongoing niggle - although it sounds like things are moving now you have a diagnosis. Hope all goes well and you are up and er, running, soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member