• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Hello!

R3PUPS

Country
United States United States
Hello all! I’m new to this forum so I will introduce myself, I’m a 66 yo full time paramedic here in Maine. I had a reverse shoulder replacement secondary to a previous hemiarthroplasty done on my right shoulder this past August. I’m approximately 7ish months post op and I have a question. My range of motion has definitely improved, where my question comes in is my strength and stability. I’m nowhere near back to my baseline which I expected but given my line of work and situations I find myself in, I’m concerned that I might cause more damage. A lot of my patients are morbidly obese and in difficult conditions to remove them and then we have the violent patients. Does anyone have any input as to whether or not I’m facing a lengthy recovery and what long term restrictions I might have? Thank you all for your time!

Stopping by to say Hi and Welcome you to BoneSmart! While I'm unable to answer your question, I will see if I can find someone on staff to offer a response. I'm guessing others will stop by also.
Best Wishes!
@R3PUPS

@R3PUPS, welcome and congratulations on being on the other side (again). While I'm an engineer, I have a number of first responders in my family; two paramedics and seven in law enforcement. I appreciate your willingness to do that job and ... be careful out there!!!

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but have a question for you. You had to endure a revision from a hemiarthroplasty to a reverse replacement in less than a year. Having had a left shoulder hemiarthroplasty myself a scant seven days ago, would you mind sharing what necessitated the revision?

JSS, thank you for your reply. My apologies my first shoulder surgery, the hemiarthroplasty, was done in 2017. The reverse was done last August 23rd. I had a training accident in the military that stove up my shoulder and I had that first surgery in 2017. Since that first surgery I kept working out and probably abused it more tha I should have. What led me to the newest surgery was that I couldn’t raise my right arm out to the side and when I was working out the joint would feel like it was partially dislocated and then it would pop back in. A very odd feeling for sure. So JSS that is my tale of woe. Hopefully that gives you a bit more info!

Hi, @R3PUPS and welcome to the BoneSmart community. If your surgeon didn’t explain it to you, you’ll need to know there are differences between a regular shoulder replacement and a reverse shoulder replacement. You’re experiencing some of them now in regard to range of motion and strength. You may not regain full function in either of those things. BUT….this is not a given and any decreases in your ability to lift weight or move your shoulder should be minor IF you allow yourself to completely recover before starting to really stress your new shoulder. Usually patients are told that “full recovery” can take a year or more.

A reverse shoulder replacement is done when the rotator cuff muscles are injured and not able to be repaired. By switching the components of the implant so that the “ball” is actually set within your shoulder itself, the work to lift your arm is done by different muscles than the rotator cuff. These muscles need to be slowly trained and strengthened to do this job. It needs to be a gradual progression. More exercise is definitely not better. Please consider that trying to push your shoulder could very well do damage to your surgeon’s good work. I understand the nature of your job, but hopefully you can find a way to take things slow and easy until you are able to build more strength in the joint. It is going to take some time. You might want to have another consultation with your surgeon about your activity progression. Perhaps even some additional physical therapy could help.

Jamie thank you for your input. Being a paramedic I am well aware of what was done to my right shoulder. I am also quite well versed in the rehab aspect of this procedure. What I was looking for was this, is there anyone on this feed that has been at this point, meaning 7-8 months post surgery from a reverse shoulder replacement, that can share what they are experiencing with regards to the return of strength and stability. I have still not returned to work. My employer is concerned that I might re-injure it. I workout daily and enjoy cardio so I’m on the right track. I will be able to retire with full benefits this June 2nd so I have decisions to make. Again, thank you Jamie for your input.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley