Knee Infection* Delayed Prosthetic Joint Infection

Hi @Jockette . My leg was not misaligned. My extension was not good with all the swelling and pain. My knee joint would not lay straight. Despite PT it would not budge. I walked with a limp and my alignment was off. Removal of the prosthetic and placement af the spacer has allowed the knee to lay straight. Less pain and no limp. I feel more aligned.

Thank you @Jah Row for your reply. I am hanging in there.
The PICC line was removed today. The Dr wants me to take an oral antibiotic for 2 weeks since my CRP is still a little high. It may be from my rheumatoid athritis and not the infection. So he wants me to take it a little bit longer. It feels so good to have the line out. I developed a rash around it and it itches. Hopefully it will clear in the next few days. I feel free not having to administer the medication 3 x a day. I am moving forward . Thank you all for your support.

Checking in at two months to date since the first stage of your revision. :wave:
Great news on PICC line removal and hopefully you're off the antibiotics now also, waiting to retest in a couple months. Will lift a prayer for a successful retest showing no infection. Please keep us posted. We're here for support always. I hope you have a pleasant weekend, Jday.
@Jday

Hi @Layla . Thank you for checking in. I appreciate the support. I finished the antibiotics a week ago. The infection seems to be gone and my CRP level has gone down substantially. My knee is swollen but not like it used to be. My appetite has definitely returned....lol. I have good days and bad days. The pain level ranges 3-6. Ibuprofen, ice, and light stretching seem to help. I am able to do everything without limitations. Walking the dog causes some discomfort, but we both need the exercise. I returned to water aerobics last weekend. It felt good but afterwards the knee swelled and was very painful. Par for the course I guess. I do get uncomfortable nerve pain from my rear down the leg. It varies in degree of discomfort. All in all, though, I think I am doing pretty good. I get retested for infection on April 16. Fingers crossed. ❤️

Glad things are improving and infection seems healed. Good luck for the April tests.

Hello Jday!
I hope you're still doing well as you reach this three month post op date of your revision.
Wishing you the best as you're retested today.
Please let us know what you hear once you receive the test results. We do care.
@Jday

I hope you are doing ok too! Your case of infection that was missed by regular bloodwork is is alarming, but helpful to read. I worry I could have something like that going on.
As I’m facing RA diagnosis and also concerned about risk of infection with starting immunosuppressants (especially as I have a knee scope coming up)…I’m curious to know if any of your doctors wondered if the RA meds lowered the blood levels of CRP, masking the infection for so long? I’ll be asking surgeon about getting joint fluid tested before starting treatment….but also want to get on top of treatment asap after surgery because I think the stress of it it will make my immune system go even more bonkers! It seems dental surgery triggered my latest bout of inflammation.
I really hope you are doing ok and appreciate any updates when /if you feel up to it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom