TKR Mouser's recovery

If any exercise causes more swelling/pain your knee isn't ready for that exercise yet. Take control of your recovery and not let PT encourage you to do anything that will set you back, which it has done now. Stay away from those movements until your swelling goes down.

I received new exercises this week and I have found one that is causing me the same issues. It's the one where you put weight on your operated knee for a few seconds by standing on that leg. I might ease into that one. Congrats on doing so well!

Feeling more swollen and stiff is your knee telling you that you are doing too much for your stage of recovery. Either decline to do these exercises or stop going now.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Thanks to all of you. I thought that us the case. I think the exercises in question are standing to sitting and stepping up one a 6 inch step. Also added 1 pound weight to my leg lifts. All 3 sets of 10. Will let you know what happens at PT.

It’s too early for any weights. You are not in training, you are healing from major surgery that caused a lot of internal trauma. I don’t understand why some PTs don’t get that.

added 1 pound weight to my leg lifts.
At 2 months, your knee simply hasn't healed enough to handle weights. If you look at the chart below, you can see that your bones, ligaments and tendons are not yet healed from the surgery and you could cause yourself a serious setback

1652123217285.png

As @Jockette said, you are not in training! Please, please don't add any weight for at least another month, if not longer.

My ROM hasn't changed with the increased swelling. Getting to 119 with ease. Didn't use the weight and took it easy on the other exercises. Going to rest for the weekend and take some ibuprofen. Thanks everyone and happy healing.

Approaching 10 weeks in a couple of days. Will be finishing up PT the end of the week. Recovered well from overdoing it at week 8. Rom is at 0..120. I am feeling much stronger and my stamina has been improving each week. Swelling has decreased so much the past 2 weeks. Not much pain to speak of now. Almost ready to get rid of the cane but still need it for when I am taking a walk or up for a bit. Riding 10 minutes on my exercise bike and trying to either walk or go to a store each day but not both. Looking forward to next summer when I can kayak and cycle once again. This journey is a long one but it will be worth it in the end.

It is very weird that the blues are hitting me more now when things are much better. It usually last a day so that isn't to bad. I acknowledge it then try to keep myself busy.

Hope you all are doing well. Remember the small improvements are a big deal in the first weeks after surgery. Try to focus on those to carry you through. Thank you bonesmart for a wonderful site. Happy healing to all.

Hello and Happy Wednesday,
It's great to read how well you're doing. Thanks for your encouraging words for other members as well as your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. I'm betting the blues will visit less and less the more active and engaged in life you become. The good thing is that you realize the gloom is normally fleeting and those occurrences only temporary. A great rest of the week you!
@Mouser

Glad to hear things are moving along! It is a long process, and a slow one. I am at day 8, so a bit behind you. It is reassuring to see the similarities etc. Hope you are still progressing...any updates on how you are doing?

Hi everyone hope you are all healing well. Just over 3 month mark now. Just curious if anyone else had a repair to MCL due to valgus along with TKR? My MCL was tightened and the tears stitched. I gave up my cane a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have pain on medial side. Just wondering if it jas to do with MCL.

For my update things are going well. Riding my exercise bike for 15 minutes now with a smooth rotation. My rom appears better as I can go up/down stairs with a small amount of discomfort. I can be up on my leg for 2-3 hours. After that ice and rest is needed. Not sure when I will be able to work again since I can only be on my feet 2-3 hours. I see the doc at the end of the month so will report back then..

Hang in there everyone! You got this! Happy healing to all.

It sounds like things are right on schedule, @Mouser! If you gradually increase the amount of time on your feet you will eventually be able to do what you did previously. Always take time to rest and ice if your knee needs it. It's good that you are able to do stairs fairly well now.

I do not have any experience with a repair to the MCL but it's possible your pain is due to that and it will heal in time.

Happy healing!

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Good luck with your appointment at the end of the month and Happy Holidays! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@Mouser

7 months post op this month. What a wild ride this has been. Things are going well for me. Been volunteering where I used to work a few days a week. Still have minor swelling and stiffness on the top part of my knee. Once I get moving the stiffness gets better. Received a good report in December at the doctors resulting in next visit in a year. Looking forward for the weather to get a little nicer so I can try biking outside and kayaking.

All in all I am so happy I had the surgery. The discomfort I have now is nothing to the pain before the surgery. I can walk now and be up on my feet without paying for it later in the day. Going down stairs is a breeze but going up is still a little tough. I am able to ride my exercise bike for 30 minutes now with some parts on level 2 resistance.

For all that are in the early stages give it time. You need to be patient with this recovery. If there is something you can't do just give it a little more time then try again. I saw big improvements at 3 and 6 month marks. Even now at 7 month mark, my knee feels like it is really moving much better.

Hang in there everyone. Happy Healing!

What a great update, @Mouser! I'm sure it will give hope to those who are still struggling through the early days of their recovery.
Thank you for sharing! :roseshwr:

Also because my knee was putting more pressure on the inside, my medial ligament was stretched. Doctor put some stitches he's in to help secure it
I will be very interested to see how this goes. I had a lateral pkr 5 months ago and because my knee had collapsed in the lateral side my MCL was also very stretched pre-op.
I didn't have any surgery to secure it and I still have some residual medial knee pain- particularly on stairs.
I wonder if I would have benefited from what you have had.

Happy 1st Birthday to my left knee. Wow that was a long year. Still hard to believe today marks a year since I have my knee replacement. The only pain I have is if a storm rolls in. Most of the stiffness has gone away. Still have some numbness but nothing like before. I am able to do just about anything with moderation of course. Got into the kayak and was even able to stand up after I was finished. The past couple of months have really made a difference. There has been improvements in rom, stiffness, and strength. I can walk, go up/down hills, go up/down stairs. I feel like I have my life back. Sometime my non operated knee is more sore that my TKR.

For all of you just starting or enduring this journey, never give up. Remember to pace yourself so you don't over do it (ha, we do that at some point in recovery). Try to be patient with your knee. You will get there!

Happy Healing to all!

Thanks for stopping by to share such an inspirational message. It was nice to hear from you!

I had a chuckle at the part about a storm rolling in. Hopefully with more time that will ease.
That discomfort is especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery. :fingersx:

Happy One Year Anniversary and Cheers to many more! :cheers:
@Mouser

Also because my knee was putting more pressure on the inside, my medial ligament was stretched. Doctor put some stitches he's in to help secure it.
I will be very interested to see if this helps with medial pain.
I had a similar problem with my MCL being stretched by the lateral side collapsing with arthritis. I just had a lateral PKR - so my surgeon couldn't tighten the MCL.
I had medial pain on stairs for several months until I was able to strengthen the quads and glutes sufficiently to overcome the problem. Hopefully you will not have this issue.

Happy Kneeaversary, @Mouser ! :loveshwr:
For all of you just starting or enduring this journey, never give up. Remember to pace yourself so you don't over do it (ha, we do that at some point in recovery). Try to be patient with your knee. You will get there!
These are wise words to anyone still early in the recovery process.

I'm hoping to get in and out of a kayak myself one day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back