THR Sciatica flare up after PT

I have buttock pain that radiates down my non operated side to my foot. I can't stand or walk very well without encountering horrible pain
I went to PT last Friday where the PT assistant had me do a new exercise where I am laying face down, bending leg and bringing leg towards buttock (using a strap) I did the exercise on both hips and that night was when the pain started and hasn't stopped.
Please step away from PT.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

If you back off PT, hopefully with icing and the meds the pain will ease soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how your doing.

@BellaMac I'm so sorry to hear you are also in pain. It's certainly no fun! I hope some rest and using the cane help you out.
@Eman85 I should've followed my gut instinct and not done the PT. I am just pushing forward and hoping for the best.

@Layla I am for sure stepping away from PT! I actually knew that I didn't need PT (I hadn't had when I had my 1st THR years ago and I healed up just fine) I wish I would've followed my intuition and just stayed away from PT.....I guess I learned the hard way.

I actually spoke to my PT today and she wants me to come back so she can work on my back :no-fin:

Crossing my fingers that this issue works itself out.

I actually spoke to my PT today and she wants me to come back so she can work on my back
If this PT has expertise in spinal issues you might want to give it a try. She will most likely help you develop core stability. I had years of PT for sciatic issues.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing and how your back is these days? I hope if you're engaging in PT for your back you're experiencing some relief. Wising you all the best!
@MyHipsDon'tLie

Sciatic nerve pain is debilitating and hard to get rid of. I had it right after my second of a 2 part revision surgery. l had no problems with the knee replacement, but used the pain meds for the sciatic pain and it really didn't help much. l had a OT person who came to my house a that time. l asked her about it and she said the nerves are in knots and showed me by massaging the area and placing ice after to help! l was surprised but the next day it was only sore, not that awful pain that went from my butt to the bottom of my foot! She had me massage the area just below the waist, in doing that l was able to feel the stiff hard knots of the sciatic nerve.

I am suffering from this too.had back problems before op.its my non operated leg that hurts.get restless leg at night too.i feel pain in lower back,especially to the side and into bum.also foot hurts.i went to physio,but she had me doing hip exercises on op leg.tried them at home but too much pain.i have an appt next week and going to get her to work on my back.its hindering my recovery as when walking back starts to hurt,so not walking as much as would like.i think have a trapped nerve?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member